Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 31
Posts: 31   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 34293 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: This is cheating...

@Miker777

Ah, I think I see what you mean.

looking at the 5th image you posted, is that achievable within sh3d,

No, unfortunately it's not, and that has to do with both the rendering process and the way SH3D is handling the sky.
The number one and the number two images are presented as they are rendered within SH3D. The following images are picturing the post production done with Photoshop (and can also be done with GIMP, as okh points out), thus the title: This is cheating...

... but i just end up with lots of tiles of a given image

Yes, and that's mainly because the textures are tiny.
My ground textures are quite big.
I made this as an example:

Here is the project file, 55MB, in case you (or anyone else) would like to take a look. Mars.sh3d

To surround a project with a backdrop and fore ground such as you have created would be excellent

The foreground and the background are made of textured terrains that I have made with a program called Vue, but you can make something similar with free programs. Just search for "free terrain creator" on the net, and you will find plenty of free apps that can auto-generate terrains or let you create your own terrains from heightmaps. You can create heightmaps with Photoshop ( or Gimp), like Slartibartfast smile

Here is link to a more useable terrain I have made. You can adjust the height to make it into a lawn or a slighty bumpy field.

CBR-terrain.zip 4MB

And just for the fun of it:

cec
[Oct 21, 2016, 8:29:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

tyvm Cec, your a star. smile
[Oct 21, 2016, 9:32:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

Dont let bdfd see these images, he (she????) will be arming his astronauts, and trying to get left hand drive vehicles in those spaces. biggrin
[Oct 21, 2016, 9:56:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@Miker777

he (she????) will be arming his astronauts, and trying to get left hand drive vehicles in those spaces.

Haha!
I certainly hope so. It would be nice to get some income from the parking lot.
And what's wrong with left hand drive? It's perfect when you are driving on the "right" side of the road.
I'm having nightmares about driving in London, and wake up going the wrong way in the roundabout.

But: she????
Hmm...

cec
[Oct 23, 2016, 2:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

@Cec
I have nightmares about driving in london and i go there all too often, as for left hand drives, no problem with them in thier natural environment, but too many here and too many of ours taken to europe.
Him or Her, i would be guessing for most people in the forum, i usually try to say they, but forgot.

Mike
[Oct 23, 2016, 7:59:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

Cbr terrain is excellent, thx again, i will post some images when i have them sorted, working on a manhatton styled loft idea at mo, keeping me occupied.

Mike
[Oct 23, 2016, 8:03:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..is that achievable within sh3d, i have tried "modifying 3d view" but i just end up with lots of tiles of a given image....
Cec' method is the elegant way to get the high quality depth Cec is so good at.

However, it is possible to use a 360° panorama image as sky texture (see thread 5976). The sky image will render around the horizon / distant view (image 1), but you may still have to use objects/terrain (and raise plan) in the vicinity of your construction, eg with a simple, curved forest edge as a supplement (image 2). Nowhere near as elegant as playing with perspectives and objects as Cec does, but still my preferred solution for an actual construction project: quicker, less plan clutter, easy to see view out window from the normal 3D view. I prefer private site photos for a panorama image, but of course, lots of images/services online too. My preferred service, especially for mountain landscapes (Scandinavia, but also the alps) is norgei3d / virtualglobe. Yes, the virtual globe is an 'old' project, and may have some (Mac) compatibility issues, but it is easy to use and renders the sky in a consistent blue that can very easily be edited/removed/masked off. For rural landscapes in flatter countries "street-view" images are probably better. Beware copyright restrictions on some services.

Various software or Gimp plug-ins can help stitch several images together. As for the alignment of the image, see the links in thread 5976.

ok

Two old, quick mock-ups to illustrate:

Image one: Actual horizon created from a panorama picture (building just thrown in).

Image two: Plain gradient sky + curved forest line:

[Oct 24, 2016, 9:54:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

Thankyou okh, anything to improve the view is appreciated. smile
[Oct 24, 2016, 10:34:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@okh

I absolutely see the point in keeping 3D models small as a general rule for most purposes,
but I have also noticed that a majority of the renderings shown on this forum lately,
are images with very high quality, almost photo realistic.
They can take a long time to render.
My experience is that terrains in fact render quite fast.

The black line that appears at the horizon has been mentioned a few times in the past,
with questions about ways to get rid of it.
Using backdrops works well, and is an easy way to create more realistic surroundings.
But in all my experiments with using images as backdrops, I have ended up with images
that are fairly big in order to get a high quality rendering, besides; using images instead of 3D models,
may easily cause unwanted reflections, especially when using artificial lighting.

Since I have been traveling a bit lately, I have used my old Macbook a lot, and I have worked a bit with SH3D
without noticing any limitations, despite that the version of SH3D on my Macbook has the standard memory configuration – 1024M.

I wanted to do a little experiment.
Would a 360˚ model of a horizon noticeably slow down the rendering?
How much?
So I made a 360˚ horizon with Verto Studio 3D, and constructed a
scene with a car (14MB), a woman (23MB), a road (3MB), and applied a
large texture to the ground. The entire project was 90MB when I had added the 360 horizon.

First I rendered an image without the horizon:

And then one with horizon:

...and another one:

Well, yes, I have to admit that it takes a few seconds longer,
but what if I use a panoramic image instead?
For instance a nice forest line and a blue skye
(2.7 MB, 3840 x 1444 applied to a 9243cm x 3476cm box).

I could have looked harder, spent some more time on finding the perfect image, but it served the purpose for the experiment.
It doesn't quite match the time of day, but it works quite well – and I got the blue sky as an added bonus.

Conclusion?

Using a backdrop
has the advantage that you don't actually have to create it. It's easy to use, and it renders quite fast.

Using a 3D model has the advantage of being extremely flexible - width, height and placement. It's easy to texture and blends in whatever light or time of day you choose - and it actually covers the entire horizon in all directions.

So in case anyone wants a 360˚ horizon, it can be downloaded it here:

CBR-Horizon.zip 7.3 MB, incl texture.

Cec
[Oct 24, 2016, 11:14:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Very interesting, Cecilia! Thank you very for sharing. And great images as usual.
[Oct 24, 2016, 11:37:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 31   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved