Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13657 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sharing libraries and furniture

..you guys have much more nice furniture. Let me put it like this: are you willing to share your libraries? Even better: could you guys please add all the nice stuff to the 3D Contributions library: http://www.sweethome3d.com/importModels.jsp ?
After I install Sweet Home 3D, I import all those libraries, it will be nice if more of the furniture was added by default.*
There are indeed lots of nice models in many of the presentations. Much of it comes from external libraries - the 3D warehouse probably being the main source. These models are generally not shared with the libraries available to SH3D for several reasons. One is copyright, that it may be illegal to share them. And there are so many models, often very specific, that it is simply easier to get them directly instead of bloating the SH3D libraries. In addition, the 3D warehouse models can be flawed and very large compared to what they need to be. Also, I am not sure I really want all of these large libraries in my collection by default. As it will make it harder to find the key models.

But when it comes to models that are made by users themselves, I fully agree that sharing is a good idea. Some do and upload models that may be interesting for other SH3D users to SourceForge SH3D - 3D models. Eteks will review these models from time to time and will include some of them in the collections / libraries - but there are also other models there.

ok
[Nov 8, 2016, 8:20:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
danger89

Netherlands
Re: Sharing libraries and furniture

Thank you for setting up this post in the correct section for me. It's me you quoted, so I definitely fully agree with this topic! applause

Hopefully the users, developers (including bdfd) will contribute to the libraries. angel

Exactly, after you register/login on Sourceforge you are able to create a new ticket, so the model can be become part of the libraries.

Extra attention on sharing is always appreciated and welcome.
[Nov 8, 2016, 9:17:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Well said ! smile

Exemple, look Here my little contribution...
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Nov 8, 2016, 10:22:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
danger89

Netherlands

Well said ! smile

Exemple, look Here my little contribution...

Could you add this to a new ticked in Sourceforce, described in the previous posts?
[Nov 8, 2016, 11:27:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FDpaffie
Advanced Member

Nederland

i have added mine contribution on Sourceforge

now we have to wait until it has bin approved by the creator of SH3D
To Draw or not to Draw ...... Thats nolonger a question .. We draw
[Nov 14, 2016, 3:39:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Nice contributions! I am sure they will be useful to many SH3D users. Electricity and plumbing are certainly items sought after.

Understandably (speaking from experience) some models may be kept in the Source Forge repository without ever making it to the libraries. While the contributions can be useful to many, they may not always reach the permanent libraries. Not because they are not useful, but because the default libraries contain a limited range of items. After all, it is easy to import stuff into SH3D, and there is a limit to how many items are needed in the embedded libraries.

But maybe this thread can also contribute to increase the understanding of how to create high end models for SH3D. The models I first created were, to be honest, rubbish. But as the process is kind of addictive, it also becomes fun to improve the model making. Aiming for the perfect model if you like.

Now, there are requirements that are absolutely essential. For instance:
- Do not use elements from other sources without permission (see the caution text in SourceForge).
- Do not create models that are proprietary and that could cause trouble with the creator of the real-life product.
- Make sure the model is complete with materials and texture definitions (typically, and .obj file needs to be accompanied by an .mtl file and texture files).

But then there are also some goals that are fun to strive for and that will improve the quality of the models.
- Correct texture mapping.
- Avoid wrongly oriented normals (Sketchup issue).
- Careful attention to the orientation of surfaces.
- Adding .sh3f properties where useful (SVG cutout, door openings, light sources, additional information, html links etc).
- And, IMHO, trimming the models down to the essentials to avoid bloated models. Some of us work with limited processing power, and a good model can be small and neat - or a nightmare.
- Etc. etc. etc.

Models can, of course, be created with a whole range of different software such as Blender and AoI. But in practice, as the 3D warehouse seems to have a dominant market position, Sketchup is hard to avoid. For anyone playing with Sketchup, there is a useful checklist for making good models. A list that I would wish more 3D warehouse contributors would use. This, to some extent, also applies to Blender and Blendswap, but as the software is harder to learn, I am under the impression that the quality of models originating from Blender are generally of a higher quality.

There are lots of hints about good model creation in the forum. Which just emphasises the point made above: it would be very nice if more people could share the stuff they make.

ok

PS It will be interesting to see whether the inclusion of the 3D Builder in Win 10, the advent of MS remix repository (ref. MS Paint 3D and an attempt at competing with the 3D warehouse) and some other more-or-less 'free packages' will increase the availability of models suited for SH3D. So far, not too impressed, but we shall see.
[Nov 14, 2016, 5:31:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FDpaffie
Advanced Member

Nederland

thank u okh
This is very helpful, checklist very good also

lol i must bi a natural ,done every thing correct

and the models i grated where created only using SH3D
take the junctionboxes for example if u compere those to the ones in the real store i make sure there is a difference ,the virtual pieces have there screw holes diagonal thus avoiding proprietary , i compare them whit those sold in nederland
To Draw or not to Draw ...... Thats nolonger a question .. We draw
[Nov 14, 2016, 6:38:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

lol i must bi a natural ,done every thing correct and the models i grated where created only using SH3D
Yup, your material names gave you away - when materials are called 'wall' etc.. But what you use to create the models, of course, is not an issue. And the good news is that, as far as I can tell, you pretty much adhere to common dimensions. So next step is more hard-core software to create models and adding planicons and maybe cutouts in the furniture library. Just so you don't get bored... ok
[Nov 14, 2016, 6:45:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved