Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11166 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Testing IBL-levels

I have been testing a beta-version of Enkyonito's photo rendering plugin these last few days:

At first glance, these images might appear to be quite identical, but if you look closely you will see that there are in fact a few differences; the main difference being
that the shadows get softer as the enhancement level is increased. The other difference is the triangles that appear on the right hand wall when rendering with the 0 level setting
and also with levels 8 and 16, although different. It seems that the levels 4 and 12 for some reason are able to handle the textures better – but it might of course have
something to do with my model and my texture.
The way I see it, having four levels of brightness enhancement might solve some rendering problems.

Here is a bigger image (detail):

And one even bigger; Click for 2K image

For me the real beauty of using IBL (the brightness enhancement) is that it gives me a possibility to control the overall lighting of a scene in a completely different way when I can use colours and intensity to create a sky image to achieve almost any kind of atmospheric mood I can dream of.

Madame Hussein's Café

1)
A dark blue sky with a blueish light grey top + 2 white lights creating the illumination from the fire:

Click for 2K image

2)
A dark orange sky with a light blue top, + 2 fireglow light sources creating the shine from the fire:

Click for 2K image

Anyone else here experimenting with IBL?
I would love to see some examples.

Merry Christmas!

Cec
[Dec 21, 2016, 2:14:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
Re: Testing IBL-levels

Interesting on the bottom applause but I strongly deplores the form. devilish

Have you been to Aleppo recently ? sad

Do you have morbid thoughts at the end of the year ?
Too many dead, too much misery already ... shock

You should rather have taken a Denmark ravaged by storms and the rise of the oceans, you would have been more prophetic, right ? talk to the hand
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Dec 21, 2016, 7:07:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Interesting. Thanks. And rendering times?
Yours is a hard act to follow, but it would be useful to see more comparisons like this. Especially for those of us working on slower computers (and with limited artistic skill). Merry Christmas to you too, Cec.

ok
[Dec 21, 2016, 7:25:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@bdfd

Sure, Aleppo is still "hot", although Berlin seems to be the top story at the moment.
Palmyra is yesterdays news, along with Mosul and Fallujah.

Predicting Denmark's future is also "yesterdays news".
A year ago I illustrated my thoughts upon what's left of Denmark a hundred years from now:

Click for bigger image

No, I have not been to Aleppo lately, but I have been to Nice,
and I enjoy "mobid thoughts" on a constant basis. cool

Cec
[Dec 21, 2016, 1:43:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Cecilia, thanks for these nice renderings and I'm happy you weren't too upset by bdfd comment.

bdfd, let's not over-interpret the pictures made by Celilia and other forum participants, even if they show some sad scenes. Feeling empathy for Alepo's inhabitants shouldn't oblige us to censor these kind of images, moreover when they don't show any weapons or injured people.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 21, 2016, 2:02:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@okh
And rendering times?

I didn't actually time it, since I was mostly interested in testing the different levels of enhancement, but I guess an average of 20 mins for the 2K images.
The project is not as "heavy" as it looks.

I just now made a 1280x600 rendering of a total, using a 2013 iMac with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core I5 processor, which is comparable to a middle-of-the-road common home computer:

BTW: Using image based lighting, does not increase the rendering time:

Cec
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Dec 21, 2016, 2:49:01 PM]
[Dec 21, 2016, 2:43:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@Puybaret

Instead of creating a new project for beta-testing Enkyonito's fantastic plugin, I decided to use an illustration from the story I'm presently writing on. This is one of my locations, and it has nothing to do with the sufferings caused by the devastating actions of DAESH. It's simply an illustration depicting the background of a discussion about the pros and cons of nuclear power plants.

I deeply sympathize with bdfd's concern for the inhabitants of Aleppo, and it's quite understandable that he finds it in his heart to express his views.
I'm sorry if he feels intimidated by my images. It was never my intention to provoke.

Cec
[Dec 21, 2016, 3:21:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@Ceciliabr

In the Sunflow documentation (pages 55 to 56), you can find information about using the IBL.

I have integrated the improvements made to SH3D-5.3 into the test plug-in.
For information, the value of the levels is also used by Sunsky (sky without texture).

The following tests were done at night to avoid the influence of the sun.

Enko Nyito
Attachment PhotoVideoRendering-betaTest.sh3p (297529 bytes) (Download count: 388) (Test plug-in of sky brightness samples)

EnkoNyito
[Dec 28, 2016, 3:32:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia

Thank you for the beta test... I start to test it for an interior renderings...
[Jan 7, 2017, 11:06:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia

So...I made some first very quick tests with very small pictures 250x133px on my Lenovo ideapad Y700 with intel core i7 6700HQ (2,6 GHz boosted to 3,1-3,6 GHz) and NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960M.... I am not able to describe visual differences due to very small picture size. But the problem is that the rendering time is at about 50-70% longer compare to standard 1.3.2 renderer. This is too much for the settings I use for my pictures /GI-path1 and standard picture size 2000-2500px + depth of field setting etc..../... My standard rendering time is 15-24 hours now... I am affraid that +50-70% to this time is unacceptable for interior rendering. But I am sure it will be great for desktops with faster graphic cards /like NVIDIA GTX980 or higher/...
[Jan 7, 2017, 3:02:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved