Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6100 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Indicate model size in furniture list

Hi Emmanuel,

Some of the questions that appear regularly in the forum (and my email) is about file size, rendering problems due to file size, red crosses while rendering and similar issues.

Using an unzip program it's relatively easy to see if there are very large models being used, but it's not always easy to find which these models are.

There may be two solutions:
1 - Use the model name in the zip file (=sh3d file) instead of a (random?) number or
2 - Add a column to the furniture list which allows you to display the model size inside the program.

Have a nice day,

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 15, 2017, 9:57:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Indicate model size in furniture list

I prefer by far the second solution which is less risky and at range of more users (it's difficult for many users to unzip a .sh3d file).
A column showing the file size of a piece of furniture has been in my top list of features to add for a while, but I didn't program it yet because I'm not sure about what it should show, and how this value should be computed.
- What name should be used for this column?
- Should this value display the files size of the 3D model of a piece and its icon?
- Should it display the size of compressed or uncompressed files?
- Should it be displayed in the furniture list and in the catalog when you roll over a model?
- To avoid to display exact values, should it rather display an abstract indicator showing 1 to 4 weights?

The choice depends on what users want to do with these values. If they just look for the furniture with the largest file sizes, they will click on the File size column to order them by this criterion, and it will work whatever is displayed in the column.
But if the File size column shows kB or MB, users might be confused by the displayed sizes. Is 1 MB big or not? How the sum of these sizes should be compared to the .sh3d file size itself? Are these sizes different if the .sh3d file is compressed or not?
Worse, in the Online version, 3D models available on the server are not saved in the .sh3d file itself and only imported 3D models are part of the file that is saved to the server. In that case, adding sizes will be necessarily very different from the size of the .sh3d file (although imported models can be distinguished from others because they are written in italic in the furniture list).

At the moment, my choice would be to show the uncompressed size of 3D model files + icon, but any suggestion will be welcomed.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 15, 2017, 3:12:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

- What name should be used for this column?
File size (Kb)
- Should this value display the files size of the 3D model of a piece and its icon?
File size only (in furniture list)
- Should it display the size of compressed or uncompressed files?
Uncompressed
- Should it be displayed in the furniture list and in the catalog when you roll over a model?
If possible, yes
- To avoid to display exact values, should it rather display an abstract indicator showing 1 to 4 weights?
No, range between 1KB and 50MB is too large for such simplification
- Is 1 MB big or not?
Some users will always be confused. If there are models ranging from 5KB to 5.000KB, everyone will understand the difference.
- Online version
Only offer this function in the installed version?

Just some suggestions, but.... keep it simple.

Many people are too much in haste to read the Help or User Guide, search the Forum or FAQ. Whatever question they have, they will ask that question on the forum, thinking it's unique and hasn't been asked before, even though half the questions have been asked a hundred times before.

A few years ago, I suggested to introduce an Advanced Mode in Preferences. As the program gets more functions, you may want to reconsider that option.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 15, 2017, 5:06:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Hans
Excellent idea showing the size of the of the objects, but, did you mean in the library section or the list of objects already added to a project. I seem to remember being able to show what level objects had been positioned on too, cant seem to get it now, probably just me.

@ EP, ty
[Jan 15, 2017, 7:28:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, thanks for your answer smile

Mike, I think this size information would be useful in the catalog and in the furniture list. In the catalog, it will help users who wants to add only small models to their home. In the furniture list, it will help users to decide the items they should remove / replace first if they want to reduce the size of their .sh3d file.
In all cases, this additional column will be optional and will be displayed only if the user selects the matching item in the Furniture > Display column menu. By the way, this menu proposes the Level item which, I think, is the option you look for.
[Jan 15, 2017, 9:09:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Getting an indication of model sizes would be very useful, exactly how it is implemented is not that important for me. ok
[Jan 16, 2017, 4:02:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

From version 5.5, the size of the uncompressed files of a 3D model is displayed in the tool tips shown on the furniture catalog and in the new column named Model size. Thanks for your suggestions smile
[Sep 6, 2017, 6:05:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved