Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4473 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
mikedeplume

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Cannot create plan outline

Nor can I create walls or polylines.

I've just installed SH3D 5.4 on Debian and I'm using the java instance that comes with the download.

When start a plan I click on the add plan icon. I then click on the drawing area and drag the mouse. At first, a thickish line is drawn following the mouse but, after a short time (order of 1 second) the line simply disappears. It does seem to be a matter of time rather than distance since I can vary mouse speed and get the same result for different lengths of line. There is a related effect if I try to raise the edit box by pressing enter. I click the mouse and press enter and a box appears and immediately fades.

The same thing happens with walls and polylines.

I'm running from the command line and there are no error messages in the terminal window.

Any thoughts?
[Apr 14, 2017, 6:21:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Cannot create plan outline

Under Ubuntu and Mint, SH3D works without problems when started with the file SweetHome3D-Java3D-1_5_2.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 15, 2017, 7:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikedeplume

Thanks for that. I forgot to try it. Hmmm..., unfortunately it produces the same result.

As a slight modification to the story so far, I have been able to produce short wall objects by a sort of click-double-click action. This works from both startup files. In one surprising case (I don't know which startup file I used, and I can't reproduce it) I managed a quite long section that seemed reasonably controlled, but the next wall I tried in that session failed as before.

I forgot to mention that I can place and manipulate furniture, and the 3D view does what I expect. It might also be useful to know that when I'm trying to draw a wall to 3D representation updates in line with what I see on the plan view.

I'm not familiar with java and its environment (I'm a Python person) so I don't know where to look for more information.
[Apr 15, 2017, 4:47:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Click & double-click is the way to draw a wall.
Did you read the User Guide?
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Apr 15, 2017, 5:07:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikedeplume

Yes. And again after your question, just to be sure :). It is quite short. Walls (and plans and polylines) are drawn in sequence click move click move click ... double click to end. It is also possible to press enter to end the sequence and bring up a properties box. Alternatively, pressing Esc after a single click abandons the current wall.

I'm sorry if my original post was not clear on that but I was trying to point out that, during the 'move' part of the sequence the item being drawn simply fades away. If I do click move click move and so on I get a new wall started at each click, and each new wall fades away as I draw it during the 'move' phase and before the subsequent click. My previous post was meant to indicate that, under some some circumstances I can be very lucky and actually manage to complete a very short wall. It is not reproducable, and I have no control over the length of wall.

I can add that each wall starts off following the mouse closely, but it then stops extending, while the mouse pointer continues to move. Once it has stopped it fades away. It occurs to me that it is similar to what might happen if you press Esc., but I'm not pressing Esc.

Have I understood the manual correctly? Is there some property that might upset the process? Is there some way that the Esc process can be triggered?
[Apr 16, 2017, 1:01:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Interesting... I've been using Ubuntu or something based on it longer than I've been using SH3D. I've had my share of problems, but this one is new, and I've never encountered it. Not in person, nor being described here on the forum.

My first guess would be to update your video drivers, if possible to the closed source vendor drivers.

Alternatively you could try out a live CD of some Ubuntu flavour. I've never used Debian, only its derivatives.

Maybe Emmanuel P has some useful insights.

H
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Apr 16, 2017, 1:43:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikedeplume

You know when you're in trouble when the consultant says "interesting" :).

Thanks for the quick response. I'll play with a live ubuntu over the next day or so and see what happens.
[Apr 16, 2017, 3:06:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved