Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8610 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
ltd77

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile How to do a vaulted and flat ceiling of a single wall

Hello:

First off, thank you very much for this software. It has been a very useful tool in designing our home and we love it!

My question is, how to have a wall that has a room with a vaulted ceiling on one side, and a standard flat ceiling on the other side of it. When I create a sloped wall, it wants to slope the ceiling in both rooms that touch it (both sides). I have not been able to figure out how to have one side of the wall with a flat ceiling, and the other side of this same wall with the vaulted ceiling.

I'm sure there is a way to do this but so far I have not been able to figure out how.

Any suggestions of how to do this would be welcome. Thank you very much!!

Chris
[May 1, 2017, 2:07:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: How to do a vaulted and flat ceiling of a single wall

Without seeing your design, it's hard to give an answer.
As a general rule: when you need to different ceilings, draw two separate rooms:
- one for the vaulted ceiling
- one for the standard ceiling.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[May 3, 2017, 10:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

As a general rule: when you need to different ceilings, draw two separate rooms:

H
Or for one room, without no forget to cancel the 'magnetism' option... wink
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[May 3, 2017, 12:32:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ltd77

Without seeing your design, it's hard to give an answer. As a general rule: when you need to different ceilings, draw two separate rooms: - one for the vaulted ceiling - one for the standard ceiling.

Hello and thank you for the reply.

I created a sample design to illustrate my question.

In this example, two rooms that share a wall in the center. Room A I would like to have a flat ceiling. Room B a vaulted ceiling. Room A all walls are flat except for the one in the center. In the Virtual Visit, it shows a gap where the ceiling is being raised up rather than staying flat. Is there a way to force the ceiling to stay flat? Room B looks correct and has the vault.

I am sure there is way but so far I cannot find out how.

Thanks again.

Chris
[May 3, 2017, 11:54:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ltd77

H

Sorry, the image link may not have worked. It should be here:

http://imgur.com/a/x9gVK
[May 3, 2017, 11:56:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Hello and thank you for the reply.
I created a sample design to illustrate my question.
http://imgur.com/a/x9gVK
In this example, two rooms that share a wall in the center. Room A I would like to have a flat ceiling. Room B a vaulted ceiling. Room A all walls are flat except for the one in the center. In the Virtual Visit, it shows a gap where the ceiling is being raised up rather than staying flat. Is there a way to force the ceiling to stay flat? Room B looks correct and has the vault.
I am sure there is way but so far I cannot find out how.
Thanks again.Chris
I think that there is a mistake. biggrin
You speak about ceiling and it's perhaps a roof.

1. To have an vaulted ceiling you must use an arch (with same heights),
or semi-arch with different heights.

2. For an inclinated ceiling (it's not the same thing), you must create your object (from a exported 'box' for example)
or put an inclinated roof which will give an inclinated ceiling...

Look at my given example below.

I hope that I have understood well your ask.

Regards.
Attachment roofs.sh3d (68154 bytes) (Download count: 1757)

---
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bdfd at May 4, 2017, 5:49:15 AM]
[May 4, 2017, 5:46:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

If the drawing BDFD made is correct, you can use a triangle to fill the gap between wall and ceiling above the shared wall between both rooms.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[May 4, 2017, 7:41:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ltd77

1. To have an vaulted ceiling you must use an arch (with same heights),
or semi-arch with different heights.

2. For an inclinated ceiling (it's not the same thing), you must create your object (from a exported 'box' for example)
or put an inclinated roof which will give an inclinated ceiling...

Look at my given example below.

I hope that I have understood well your ask.

Regards.

Hello and thank you for the replies and for the example design. I have looked at it, and that does help with the roof which I am going to do soon. But in my case I will be using a ceiling and a roof both in the design. Both of these would need to be at a different pitch, the ceiling at a 12/2 pitch, and a roof at 12/6 pitch to simulate a structure with scissor trusses for its roof.

I think I understand how to make the roof, I have found a couple of tutorials for that. But, I am still not sure how to have the ceiling drawn correct for the Virtual Visit feature. I am not sure how the program is drawing the ceiling for the Virtual Visit feature and how it determines the ceiling height. Does it always draw the ceiling at the height of the wall? Again in my design I have a sloped wall, but on one side of that sloped wall I wish to have the ceiling flat and not sloped. I think maybe one way to do it would be to draw in a ceiling as you have done, then draw in a roof above that. Would that be the correct way to do this?

Again, thank you so much for your help.
[May 4, 2017, 5:40:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Hello and thank you for the replies and for the example design.
Would that be the correct way to do this ?
Yes ! smile
---
[May 4, 2017, 8:04:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ltd77

Yes ! smile

OK, thank you very much. I will give that a try and reply if I continue to have an issue.

Chris
[May 5, 2017, 3:50:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved