Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5897 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
nev4877

United Kingdom
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Improve quality of top view image in 2D plan

Hi Guys,

Long time user first time poster, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I did search for something similar.

I have several models all quite small nothing to texture or feature heavy.

In the 3D view they look good without any problems, however the top view in the 2D plan is all pixilated and look quite bad in comparison.

I use Solidworks > STL > Meshxl > DAE. But to add colour and define the different model sections I have to use SH3D itself. Created and exporting the model. I then edit the OBJ and MTL files to correct the colours.

The nett effect of this is a poor 2D image. Does anyone know of any tips to improve the quality?

Many thanks

Neville
[Jul 4, 2017, 5:07:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Improve quality of top view image in 2D plan

Not entirely sure I understand, but just to make sure: there are two icons with each model - icon (catalogue icon) and planIcon (top view) see File-Preferences-Furniture Icons in plan. Generated automatically by SH3D as small png files.

Catalogue view: With the FurnitureLibrary you can change the view angle of the model icon. While the image will remain small (and pixilated), another angle might help.

Top view: You can also add your own, custom, planIcon# to a model in a furniture library (see for instance thread 2582, a custom top-view. A bit tricky to get it right, but worthwhile for some uses (in my case, staircases with arrows and semi-transparent awnings).

ok

[Jul 5, 2017, 9:13:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nev4877

United Kingdom

okh,

I think this is what I'm looking for. The plan view in the 2D is very pixilated. I'm going to try and edit the .properties file and add the planicon# as per your suggestion.

Many thanks.

Neville
[Jul 11, 2017, 4:25:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

You may also want to test the 5.5. beta just released (thread 7853) which lets you increase the icon size. Could solve your issue. ok
[Jul 14, 2017, 10:24:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nev4877

United Kingdom

Thanks Again okh...

I'll try both suggestions, currently struggling with the planIcon# entry in the properties file. The new plan icon isn't showing in the 2D plan. Is there a size limit or other limitation that I could be exceeding
[Jul 17, 2017, 4:37:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

new plan icon isn't showing in the 2D plan. Is there a size limit or other limitation that I could be exceeding
Could be a number of thinks, made too many mistakes to recall them all. Cannot remember whether there is a size limit, but I do not think I ever exceeded 512×512 (default is 128×128). If the .properties file is correct (easy to make mistakes, post the .properties entry and the .png if you like), I can only think of one thing with the .png that caused problems, was if .pngs were indexed with few colours, then they were sometimes not accepted by SH3D for some reason.

That said, using 5.5 beta is probably a much easier way of doing it.

Good luck.

ok
[Jul 17, 2017, 9:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

There's no special limit on the plan icon image. You should check its path within the sh3f file. Be sure to modify a separate sh3f file and reimport it at each change, because modifying the sh3f saved in your profile folder won't work when Sweet Home 3D runs.
I'll be also happy to know if the new feature in Sweet Home 3D 5.5 matches what you look for smile
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 18, 2017, 7:18:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nev4877

United Kingdom

I've Hit a Stumbling Block...

I've managed to get the planIcon to work. However, it has just occurred to me that I can't do this.

So my models have several options. EG Toilet Cubicle. This is an enclosure that will hold a shower, toilet and sink on a shower tray with solid walls to contain the water. The model is designed so that if you don't want the shower you can select that material and make it invisible. The 2D top view then updates and removes the part made invisible. Naturally, if I replace the top view with an image, whilst the image is perfect the ability to remove parts of the models is overwritten.

The model on the left is the standard and the top view is updated. Whilst the 2D image on the right is much better, it naturally isn't updating. Sorry I know I'm stating the obvious to you.

Toilet Image
It seems that I'm back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for taking the time to look into my issues.

Neville
[Jul 18, 2017, 10:51:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nev4877

United Kingdom

Scrap that... Just managed to get the Beta Working

Your suggest has worked perfectly. Increase the icon size has made the 2D Top View much more clear. Fantastic

Thanks Again.
[Jul 18, 2017, 11:02:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Glad it works. Sounds like an interesting model. ok
[Jul 18, 2017, 1:13:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved