Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4898 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Portable

This more a thought than a wish, posted mostly for the record, or as a hint for discussion: whether someone would find it a good idea having SH3D available under PortableApps. A few years back: SH3D portable was released. Do not know whether there have been many portable downloads, but the idea is good.

For building project, I rely on numerous tools. Almost everything is done with SH3D, but sometimes things will be done other software (as it should be):
- a decent spreadsheet for calculations (eg. gnumeric, OO, LO),
- a graphic editor for textures (eg. Gimp),
- an SVG editor for post-editing 2D plans etc. (eg. Inkscape),
- a PDF viewer with some editing capabilities (eg. PDF X-Change viewer),
- some 3D design software for models (eg. Blender),
- and always, a good text editor (for all 'manual' edits, eg. Notepad++),
but also sometimes a WYSIWYG html text editor (html-export), zip utilities, graphic optimiser, astronomic/planetary to explore sun conditions, etc. etc. Some of these I use rarely, so I see no need to clutter every computer with this. Therefore a USB (or rather an SD card) with all these installed under PortableApps (Windows).

The above software are just examples, and I make no recommendation or advertising for any of them. Often, it is just a question of personal preferences. But for all the purposes mentioned above, as supplement to SH3D, some of the main packages are already available, free and simple to install, uner PortableApps.

Now, I do not need SH3D on an SD card or USB stick, as it is one of the few pieces of software permanently installed. And if not, there is the online version or JavaWebStart. Hence the low priority.

Still, as much as some of us would like, it is pretty impossible to avoid Win computers. So the nice thing with this approach would be that MAC / Linux SH3D users could have a SH3D usb stick to take their project back and forth to work, on travel or whereever.

Anyway, just a thought. eTeks probably (an understandably) should not really need to worry about yet an other distribution. But as PortableApps has quite a few followers, maybe it would also be a good way of reaching a new user group...

ok

PS - there are other portable solutions, also some intended for Linux, but it is my impression that PortableApps may be the most common.
[Jul 16, 2017, 12:17:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Portable

PortableApps stopped distributing Sweet Home 3D years ago because they didn't want to accept the basic conditions I proposed. From this thread, they still didn't want to change their mind recently.
The portable version hosted at SourceForge.net is downloaded 100 times per day, so I guess this (really) portable version must be useful to quite a lot of people. I understand that it would be nice to have the portable version of Sweet Home 3D with the other tools you mentioned, but as it's portable, it's easy to copy this version on any key, no?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Jul 16, 2017, 2:32:35 PM]
[Jul 16, 2017, 1:44:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

From this thread...
Oops, sorry for not reading before posting...
The portable version hosted at SourceForge.net is downloaded 100 times per day, so I guess this (really) portable version must be useful to quite a lot of people.
...but as it's portable, it's easy to copy this version on any key, no
Yes it is, you are absolutely right. Only thing missing would be the auto-updates built in, but as you say, this is no problem for anyone wanting a portable app. Interesting with the 100 downloads.

So, mea culpa, just read the above as a general idea of how to equip yourself with a full kit of tools on a stick - whichever way. (And yes, I have some issues with PortableApps too). ok
[Jul 16, 2017, 4:11:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

No problem. Thanks for the must-have list smile
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 16, 2017, 5:50:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved