Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 37
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 35510 times and has 36 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: How to create a down light embedded in the ceiling

A suggestion from Антон to use neutral lightsource insted of the above Incandescent, same models, but lightsource colour changed from #BB9854 to #EEEEEE. SF 3D models 400 updated with new 'neutral light' file: spot_light_cutout_dir_eeeeee_neutral.sh3d

There are many elements to lightsources and renderings. Key to get a better result is studying posts by Ceciliabr and enkonyito on multiple lightsources and advanced rendering.

Just for reference, image below lists some of the predefined lightsource colour settings (to compare with the built in lightsources).

ok

[May 4, 2018, 10:38:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

okh, in relation to your interrogation,
Last attempt of the day, a directional downlight with
<light catalogId='okh#spot_dir_cut' name='Spot_focus_dir' creator='okh' model='1/downlight_directional.obj' icon='0' x='69.5' y='290.55923' width='20.0' depth='10.0' height='10.0' modelSize='14936' staircaseCutOutShape='m .52,0.5 a .23,.46 0,0,1 .46,0 a .23,.46 0,0,1 -.46,0 z' power='0.4'>
<lightSource x='0.25' y='0.5' z='0.7' color='00BB9854' diameter='0.125'/>
</light>
Point is, concept works, but the two variables are hard to handle. For me, anyway. LightSource diameter, LightSource placement in model. Which is the better generic model?
here are some details.

By default, SH3D uses the SphereLight type to render lights with the Sunflow rendering engine.
As you already know, just add these properties for an object to be considered a light by SH3D.

The LIGHT_SOURCE_DIAMETER property is optional.
If it is not present, a default value is used for the calculation of the radius of the sphere as for the lights created before SH3D-3.0.
When it is present, its value is taken into account and makes it possible to obtain soft shadows when the size of the light is enlarged.

Regarding the position of the light source in the Home.xml file, the values ​​represent a percentage of the width-depth-height of the object containing it.
In your example,
<lightSource x='0.25' y='0.5' z='0.7' color='00BB9854' diameter='0.125'/>
would give in the PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties file
lightSourceX#n=0.25*lightWidth
lightSourceY#n=0.5*lightDepth
lightSourceZ#n=0.7*lightHeight
lightSourceColor#n=#BB9854
lightSourceDiameter#n=0.125

My trick to properly position the light sources of a light is to match the lower left corner of the object with the origin (0, 0) of the Sweet Home 3D plan knowing that the Y axis is reversed.
modelXplan = modelWidth / 2
modelYplan = -(modelDepth / 2)
Then we transfer the values ​​in the PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties file by adapting them like this:
modelElevationProperties = modelElevationPlan
lightSourceXproperties = lightSourceXplan
lightSourceYproperties = -(lightSourceYplan)
lightSourceZproperties = (lightSourceDiameterPlan / 2) + lightSourceElevationPlan - modelElevationPlan

Hoping to have been pretty clear.
----------------------------------------
EnkoNyito
[May 6, 2018, 12:12:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

This is a very informative thread that got buried deep and maybe it should be made sticky.

Now, if I observe correctly, basically a false ceiling is proposed to accomodate the embedded ceiling light without creating a hole on the floor on upper level.

I see there's one issue though on certain house design. A gap between the false ceiling and the upper level floor can be exposed.

Please look at my rendered photos below:

Look at the LEFT side of the photo. How do you guys put an embedded light on the ceiling on the first level without getting the gap (of the false ceiling) exposed?

Same, if we are to put a false ceiling above the painting, wouldn't the gap be exposed?
[Jul 13, 2018, 2:44:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Same, if we are to put a false ceiling above the painting, wouldn't the gap be exposed?
Sure, but it's easy to just insert a box to cover the gap.
Or you can have a look at this post . Half way down, starting with: And – while I'm at it: you will find a fix to mask the more complex cut-outs, like from a spiral staircase.

Cec

EDIT: How hard can it be for me to get a link working today...
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Jul 13, 2018, 11:24:32 AM]
[Jul 13, 2018, 11:15:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Thanks Ceciliabr. I'll study it.
[Jul 14, 2018, 12:41:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
r921vs

Russia

New light sources give excellent opportunities! Thank you, okh!
[Aug 19, 2018, 6:42:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knxville

New light sources give excellent opportunities! Thank you, okh!

How on earth did you light this? It's so even. I can't for the life of me get even lighting on all my walls and ceiling.
[Oct 29, 2018, 7:51:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved