Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11751 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
qythyx

Japan
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Generating 360 degree stereoscopic images

I've been playing around with generating 360 degree stereoscopic images for use with my Google Cardboard (other VR devices should work too). Basically what I do is generate two spherical image that are offset by 6cm, one for the left eye and one for the right. This are works pretty well, but I've noticed a problem.

The problem is that when viewed in the forward direction the 3d effect is perfect, but if you turn around to look behind then it is broken. This makes sense, because looking forward the left image is offset to the left and the right to the right, but looking behind things are reversed so left is offset to the right and vise-versa.

My question is, is there anyway to generate images that don't have this problem? Doing some searching I found this article. It says, "We rotate the cameras about their common pivot point..." in regards to the left and right image. I believe that's the problem I'm having. Currently when the spherical image is rendered it's rotating around the virtual visitor's center point, but with the scene viewed from a single eye in the center of the visitor. What I believe needs to happen is that the spherical view is rendered from a virtual eye on the left or right of the person yet still rotating around the center of the person.

If my supposition is correct, then the question is, is it possible to change the renderer to do this?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks.
[Oct 10, 2017, 11:35:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FDpaffie
Advanced Member

Nederland
Re: Generating 360 degree stereoscopic images

I use Spherical Photo-rendering 8192x4096 and use name that end with _360 example minephoto_360.jpg

and finely i ad the metadata on the jpeg file info as shown in picture in the link
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b8d1/7wxw4ee96sjnh6n6g.jpg

it work on mine cardboard and oculusVR it displays correct on Facebook as-well
----------------------------------------
To Draw or not to Draw ...... Thats nolonger a question .. We draw
[Oct 10, 2017, 1:26:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
qythyx

Japan

Do you generate two images, one for each eye, or just a single image?

I agree it works fine as a 360 panorama, but when trying to combine two images is where I have problems.
[Oct 10, 2017, 1:58:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FDpaffie
Advanced Member

Nederland

a single image .u find your self in the center of the image and can look in any direction
[Oct 10, 2017, 2:20:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FDpaffie
Advanced Member

Nederland

Try this image ,unpack it and put it where u normal put your files to view in headset

http://www.mediafire.com/file/70tdf6194rxamxv...192x4096_Sphercal_360.rar
[Oct 10, 2017, 2:33:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
qythyx

Japan

Thanks for the example. I think I wasn't clear. I'm able to create 360 panoramas fine, and view them. The problem is that I want to create stereoscopic 360 panorama. Those are made from two images, one for the left eye and one for the right. Having this gives depth to the image so you can tell what's further away and what's closer. Here's an example I make, but it has the problem that I described in my first post.

When you look towards the window it's fine, but if you look at the corner of the bed platform it's off a bit, and it's even worse if you look at the hanging chair.

To generate these images correctly the SH3D renderer would need to render spherical images slightly differently than it does now.
[Oct 11, 2017, 8:33:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FDpaffie
Advanced Member

Nederland

I have googled stereoscopic views but is not so easy .
i think moving the virtual visitor 6cm to the left or the right is the best way in SH3d to generate 2 pictures ,but you already tried that
so i cant help you

maybe the results of search can help you further ;
Sterioscopic 360panoramas

youtube vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgW5stbchz8

Urls
https://code.blender.org/2015/03/1451/
https://www.360cities.net/help/stereo_panos
https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/6fy12u/digitizing_stereoscopic_photos/
http://sideloadvr.com/detail.php?id=53
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/3568...-photo-creating-software/

prorgams
Gimp
[Oct 11, 2017, 2:52:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
qythyx

Japan

So, I managed to hack together a fix. I added two new camera types to Sunflow, the raytracer used to generate the images. They are "Spherical Left" and "Spherical Right". They're very similar to the default spherical camera, but as they render the image the adjust the eye position accordingly.

The code change for this was actually quite simple, it just took me a while to find the right place to make the change. Still, not bad for a few hours work.

Here is an example using these new cameras. This seems to fix the problem and now gives good depth perception in all directions.

Next I need to:

• Confirm the correct distance between eyes. I used 6, but in Sunflow I'm not sure of the unit. Is that 6 cm, or 6 what? In my SW3D plan I use cm, but I'm not sure what that is in Sunflow. Using 6 seems to work ok, but if someone else uses inches I want to make sure that works too. Also I should make this configurable in preferences or something.
  • My changes work for the builtin image render UI, but they don't work for the plugins that give more control over rendering. The problem is that the drop down box that lists the camera doesn't include my new cameras in those plugin windows. I need to fix this.
  • Figure out how to submit my changes to SH3D code base so everyone can take advantage of them.
  • Ideally I'd like to make this simpler to use. Currently you need to render the image twice, once with the left camera and once with the right. That's annoying. It would be better if that was automated so that it rendered both automatically and saved both.

[Oct 12, 2017, 2:56:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FDpaffie
Advanced Member

Nederland

wow you done quiet a job there
Am looking forward to your work and hope you fix it ,am not in java programing it all , if i look at the code it looks like it came from outerspace ..lol

i use samsungVR to view mine mono360 pictures, stereo pictures bi displayed as images up/down _TB, Images left/right _TBS and displayed as 3dv

i was satisfied with the mono360 i used, made about 400 of them
but now you came up with stereoscopic Pictures ..lol now i want to experience the deference between mono and stereo

The technic of stereoscopic_photos predates VR, previous century i do believe

For start I am new at this Stereoscopic thingy ,but i have done some experiments white Stereoscopic imaging ,
i edited the Pictures left one of them untouched, the second one i cutout a pice from the left side and pasted to the right side of the Picture and finally i placed the edited picture on top of the untouched, one now we have a stereoscopic one .. but its a experiment i miss the extra depth

Again i added some downloads for you 1 a movie from the mono360 picture as i experience it in Oculus headset and 2 the ST pictures i made with a bonus a original i found on the net

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lmbn6i6lmcko77g/Video_for_Becky_360_8AM.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/file/23m2o3yub1ut4ij/Becky_8AM_STPano_Test_360.rar
[Oct 12, 2017, 2:16:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
walidbmf22

algeria

hello everybody im just a newbies trying to modify my real house i would like some help building a step by step method to create 360° pictures to share with my architect ???
can anyone help please
[Oct 19, 2018, 10:40:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved