Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22003 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
GrayMan

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Garden Plant Library

I noticed that there have been quite a few questions in the forums about importing garden plants into Sweet Home 3D. I can see why, as this program seems fairly easy to manipulate walls and furniture, and plants are essentially furniture inside a structure called a garden.

Has anyone tried to create a native SH3D 'furniture-like' library that contains various garden plant models, instead of furniture models?

If not, if there is a guide on how to create furniture models that someone can point me to, I will attempt to create a garden plant library. Also from my reading of forum posts, it seems that plants are a resource hog due to the number of individual leaves, and their textures.

What compromises should be made to create an acceptable low to medium resource usage plant?

I am thinking of not necessarily accurate representations of common garden plants like: onions, tomatoes (determinate and non-determinate), beans (bush and pole), cabbage, carrots, corn, etc. I am more interested representing the height and width of the plants, rather than exact leaf shapes and other similar characteristics of the plant.

Any thoughts?
[Nov 8, 2017, 4:21:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
Re: Garden Plant Library

I did it !
Three catalogs, one for the trees, a second for little trees and third for the flowers...

All choosen by myself, but after 15 objects, file become heavy... crying

smile
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bdfd at Nov 8, 2017, 3:45:01 PM]
[Nov 8, 2017, 2:43:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

You can search Google or look here
Or search for a free 3d tree generator, like Arbaro

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 8, 2017, 8:05:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

A low to medium size/quality native library is a brilliant idea.
What compromises should be made to create an acceptable low to medium resource usage plant?
In my case, a lot of compromises, as I work on a slow laptop. Most plant models are so large/complex that they will effectively grind the drawing process to a halt. So my compromise would be using tiny (and ugly) trees and bushes in the design process - and in rare cases - swap them for nicer ones for rendering (not as pretty as Cec' trees, though).

Examples of very simple trees in the design process, you can find at SF 3D model 261, but they are too ugly for any real rendering. Or you could use, as Hansmex suggests, Arboro (see thread 7742) to create ones that are better even if simple (but still to resource-demanding for me).

But it all comes down to what you use it for. To visualise a beautiful garden, of course, you need some of the more elaborate models. But if, like me, the only objective is to understand light and shadow as in the sunlight simulation blog post, even very simple shrubbery will do the trick.

So if anyone wishes to design and share some low/medium models, I for one would welcome that very much.

ok

[Nov 9, 2017, 12:06:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

No special libraries, but some ideas for "gardening" in this tip.
[Nov 9, 2017, 4:01:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I would like that as well
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 9, 2017, 8:13:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Put new link in another thread than intended (7742). In SF 3D models 261 an attempt at a simpler tree (zips to 352 kB, 1071kB uncompressed). A birch, but just apply different trunk texture to change. Should be possible to bring the size further down and fix some details. A very simple tree, work in progress, next to it. ok

[Nov 25, 2017, 4:15:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Updated SF 3D models 261

Hmmm, Puybaret's simplification of (tree_birch) is beyond what I can manage. But the result is fantastic, a proper tree to use with SH3D on slow computers. I did manage one smaller (tree_generic), but also with less detail.

As a compromise for those who dread bloated files and sluggish drawing, this could work. Beware that the rendering will also be inferior to much of what is found in the gallery such as Cec' shrubbery.

As SH3D only stores one copy of a model used several times, using just one of the trees and play with sizes and colours can make for a nice little forest without increasing the sh3d file size - in fact, the models will let you make a forest without adding more than a couple of hundred kB to a compressed .sh3d file. See example file trees_misc_simple.sh3d.

tree_birch_3_okh_epsml 553 kB
(zip model 214 kB)
__created with arbaro, simplified (blender) and simplified further by Puybaret (one with a red-orange gradient texture to simulate autumn leaves)
tree_generic_okh_sml 491 kB
(zip model 177 kB)
__created with arbaro, simplified with blender (one with a red-orange gradient texture to simulate autumn leaves)
forest_treeline 60 kB
__simple curve with texture to show a very simple and blurred forestline
tree_hedge_smpl_ok 7 kB
__simple hedge shape with texture applied later, can stretch lengthwise without distorting texture (unmapped), texture is .png indexed with few colours and alpha = < 5kB
tree_hedge_nostretch_ok 8 kB
__simple hedge shape with mapped texture, does not stretch well (same texture)
Tree_img 11 kB
__very simple tree with trunk and several surfaces with picture of maple tree (one coloured orange/red for autumn, same picture) - looks ok in 3D window, but does not render well
Sky texture: horizon_bvtrig.jpg 42,5 kB
__simplified panorama picture from a viewpoint to break the horizon line and trees (does not render in aerial photos)
Ground texture: .jpg 1,5 kB
__very simple seamless green picture, not beautiful, but relatively seamless (does not show as squares).

[Nov 29, 2017, 3:52:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot to Puybaret for taking the time to explain how this could be done. Models updated accordingly (I hope) in SF 3D models 261 . Even if the simplest one at 235 kB / 93 kB compressed may have shortcomings, it is pretty nice to get an entire forest into a 140 kB .sh3d file. ok

Test video: tree_grove_sml.mp4.

Test image:

[Nov 30, 2017, 1:05:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Updated some of the small trees in SF 3d models 261. Mostly reducing decimals in the .obj file to make it easier to read, and introduce an inaccuracy so the leaves are not all the same. Trees are at at 1/10 to 1/20 of the original quakingAspen in the free models page.
quakingAspen 3460kb 100%
tree_birch_smpl_sngl 370kb 11%
pinex_3 192kb 6%
tree_generic_ed 165kb 5%

The quality may be slightly inferior to that of the quaking aspen, but not by a factor of 10 to 20. If the primary purpose is to show light and shade, they should do the trick without suffocating the design process.
ok
Video mp4 469kb: small_models_trees.mp4

[Jan 30, 2018, 8:45:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved