Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2280 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
TravelingMan

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Drawing walls with corner radius

Can you draw a convex curve on the external surface of walls. I am planning a straw bale house, the walls will be 500mm thick and every corner, window or door reveal will be curved, can I do this? The radius of the curve will be approx 200mm I think.
[Dec 17, 2017, 2:52:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Drawing walls with corner radius

Hoping I understand your question:

For a 'normal' 0°-90° corner, you could use a short wall angled 45° between the two walls and set the Arc extent to 90°. Ending a wall with Ctrl-right-click lets you set the Arc extent directly for your corner walls.

Getting the same effect on doors/windows is a bit harder as the cutout will be a right angle. However, I suppose you could double walls and apply the trick above for every opening. But that is cumbersome and hard to edit later.

A better idea is probably create your own door/window models and build the curve into the model itself. That way you can move the window/door around easily in one thick wall.

ok
[Dec 17, 2017, 9:03:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Can you draw a convex curve on the external surface of walls. I am planning a straw bale house, the walls will be 500mm thick and every corner, window or door reveal will be curved, can I do this? The radius of the curve will be approx 200mm I think.
Not easy to imagine...

Can you send us a drawing even simply done or an example found on the web ?

smile
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by bdfd at Dec 17, 2017, 2:09:58 PM]
[Dec 17, 2017, 10:46:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Possibly something like this (in SF 3D models 452)?

newin_curve_publ.sh3d

[Dec 17, 2017, 3:28:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TravelingMan

Australia

Wow thats awesome,

that's exactly how I want them. So whats the best way to learn how to model, house plan drawing is not new to me, but programs I have used in the past I have just used the programs pre sets, cos I didnt have to be thourough it was just concept. But this I want to actually draw the architectural drawing to AU standards and then print them for submission. I am hoping I can do that in SW3d.

I may have to do the final 2d plans in an auto cad of some description. hmmm.

Straw bale is 3 times as fire resistant as timber frame or steel, no vermin, cockroaches etc, cheap as, a simple 12mt by 8mtr internal building the bales will cost me 1500 AU, and so enviromentally perfect. bit of hardwork but I was weaned on hard work. lol

Thanks again. 
[Dec 18, 2017, 12:54:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Straw bale...
Very interesting, please keep sharing. Projects like yours and thread,5643 provide very useful information.
..draw the architectural drawing to AU standards and then print them for submission. I am hoping I can do that in SW3d... ..do the final 2d plans in an auto cad...
I see no reason why you should not be able to do almost everything with SH3D. At least here, I have yet to find legal requirements that cannot be satisfied with an accurate SH3D drawing (with the possible exception of facade drawings ). For finalising the 2D plan, SVG export and Inkscape will get you a long way.
..the best way to learn how to model...
Model itself is quite simple, mostly squares and can be done with pretty much any software. Even SH3D. Guess the most commonly used free sw would be Sketchup and Blender. The latter a bit daunting but very powerful. Both have instruction videos online that proved very helpful. Art of Illusion and Wings are other alternatives (and 3D builder / Paint 3D in new Win 10 updates), but I never really really put any effort into learning them.

The window model posted is true to standard sizes here. Window sold as 1000×1200mm is actually 985×1185mm to allow for adjustments and insulation. This can be important when using SH3D for actual construction and submission of drawings. The other elements are literally window dressing - like your curved walls (or weatherboards/windowsills and other stuff in the original sent by e-mail). All these elements can be set to invisible (or changed) in the Modify furniture / Modify colours dialogue.

Long and short of it is that creating basic models need not be difficult or take long (with a bit of practice). And the basics will work directly, like SH3D aligning model to wall and create the cutout. But it is also possible to put some extra post production into a model to optimise for SH3D. And not least, shrink the model to reduce file size and increase SH3D speed.
- Unnecessary surfaces removed.
- Surfaces grouped according to colour.
- Colours renamed for easier SH3D edit (or remove elements by setting invisible).
- The .obj file cleaned.(SF 3D Models 261), smoothing off (s off) for all elements but wall/hinge/handle (s 1).
- The .mtl file uses wall colour similar what SH3D uses as default to blend in with default SH3D wall:
newmtl Wall
illum 1
Ka 0.2 0.2 0.2
Kd 1.0 1.0 1.0
Ks 0.0 0.0 0.0
Ns 1.0
Ni 1
d 1.0

Additional properties in the Furniture Library file for use with SH3D. Cutout can be set in FurnitureLibraryEditor, additional window properties edited into PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties in the library file:
id#39=okh#newin_curve
name#39=Newin curve
information#39=Window with rounded walls
tags#39=thick wall rounded bale house
category#39=Doors and windows
icon#39=/Newin curve.png
model#39=/Newin curve/newin_curve.obj
multiPartModel#39=true
width#39=138.5
depth#39=60
height#39=131
movable#39=true
doorOrWindow#39=true
doorOrWindowCutOutShape#39=M0.1444,0.0763 h0.7112 v 0.946 h-0.7112 z
doorOrWindowWallThickness#39=59.9
doorOrWindowWallDistance#39=0.05
doorOrWindowSashXAxis#39=22 116.2
doorOrWindowSashYAxis#39=42 42
doorOrWindowSashWidth#39=45.7 45.7
doorOrWindowSashStartAngle#39=270 270
doorOrWindowSashEndAngle#39=360 180
elevation#39=80

[Dec 18, 2017, 10:37:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved