Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 185
Posts: 185   Pages: 19   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 208709 times and has 184 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

I have been asked how I have been using Sweet Home 3D lately.
Well, it's mostly for my personal use.

I remember reading The Hobbit when I was around eleven years old.
It was the Danish translation from 1984, called "Hobbitten, eller Ud og Hjem igen" (The Hobbit, or There and Back Again), and it made a huge impact.
I’m not going to waste anyones time describing the contents of this novel, assuming that most of you have already read the book or seen the films.
If not: Buy yourself the perfect christmas present - either the book or the films – but preferably both.
And seen the films has also my stepdaughter done, which is why I’m writing this intro.

“Are Hobbits real?” was her question after watching the first film. When I answered “no”, her quite logical response was: “But dwarfs are real, right?”, which of course was an undeniable fact.
And then what followed was a discussion about dwarfs and questions about why dwarfs were so often mentioned along with fantasy-figures like elves, goblins, gnomes, trolls and – in this case – Hobbits.
I had to admit that I really didn’t have any good answers to that, but I told her that dwarfs and midgets traditionally used to be be exhibited for public amusement in the older days - an answer that made her wrinkle her eyebrows in disbelief and ask if the same would have happened to hobbits with big hairy feet, if they had been real.
And our discussion went on, with questions about rights and wrongs, and about how we are slowly changing our views about people created differently from us.

As a result of this conversation, I started reading about dwarfs,in order to be better prepared and better qualified to continue our discussion. I read about German mythology and about dwarfism, and of course one ting lead to another as I was following digression after digression as I went along – and so we agreed it would be a nice thing to write a story about dwarfs - make it an after-school-project, for rainy days – in every meaning of the word.
Having lots of time on my hands, we started our after-school sessions with making an illustration.
I have always found it helpful to visualise the locations when writing stories.
Our first attempt turned out to be a not-so-sweet home:

“It’s not very nice. It’s too gloomy!” was her immediate response.
So we did another one, and started our story:

Should you come from the south, you might not pay any particular interest to the scenery. On the surface it looks more or less the same as the rest of the landscape you have been wandering across in order to get here.

Being half Norwegian, the old Norwegian children’s songs and rhymes naturally became an essential part of my upbringing, and while searching for inspiration I suddenly remembered a song written by one of Norway’s most celebrated poets, Henrik Wergeland , a song that was still “comme il faut” in my childhood.

Nisser og dverge bygger i berge;
men vi skal mine dem alle her ut.
Ti mens vi synger muntre i klynger,
sprenger vi berget i lufta med krutt.

A translation will go something like this (non-poetic):

The Gnomes and the Dwarves are nesting in our mountains,
but we shall mine every one of them out!
Backed by the cheerful singing of the hordes,
we’ll use gunpowder and blow their mountains to kingdom come.

So why did this celebrated and well respected writer come up with something like this?
I’m not going to give the answer here, but I will show some of the renderings that eventually will become illustrations to my story – a tiny book meant for my own children only – a book about how we used to regard people created differently from ourselves – and hopefully it will contribute to an understanding of why we shall not use our freedom of speech to abuse anyone, in neither words nor images, for their looks, their physical or mental challenges, their gender, colour of their skin, their religion or faith – a book about being “Ein Mensch” – a person of integrity and honour.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit…
– and in a caved out mountain there lived a dwarf and her daughter:

But should your eye by chance catch a ray of sunshine falling on a small, upright standing stone – and should you care to investigate it – not only will you find a monument, erected and inscribed as an enduring and memorable example of lost Norwegian poetry, you will also discover the home of Klara Haltenbanken and her daughter Hope.
In the old days they were called “midgets”, since their appearance was quite proportional to normal people, but since it has been decided that “midget” is an offensive word, they are now being described as dwarfs, which for some reason is regarded as less discriminating.

And should you happen to come from the north, you will most likely discover the nicely-worked entrance from a distance.

And if you should happen to be a person with a normal amount of curiosity, chances are you might want to take a closer look.

And should you come by night…

… you might even feel tempted to pay a visit, or at least take a peak inside.

Renderings of the interior will follow...

Cecilia

[size=1 All images rendered in 2K with Q4 default settings – using enhanced external brightness.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Dec 19, 2017, 2:46:13 PM]
[Dec 19, 2017, 2:03:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

Very nice! As usual, beautifully done. The Shire is almost like my memory from when I read the book at the same age. And I for one would not mind reading your take on the dwarf tale with illustrations. You should have a rich mythology to pick from, even without the less-nice bits.
..the perfect christmas present...
As it happens, the BlueRay box set is the only thing on my list to Santa this year. Even if I reread the book several times, I have saved the films in order to watch them all at once next time I am snowed in. ok
[Dec 19, 2017, 4:59:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

very well done. wink
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Dec 19, 2017, 5:04:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Very nice, Cecilia! Your landscapes are in a league of it's own.

I started reading both The Hobbit and LOTR in high-school. It was something we all did in the seventies. At first I was a bit disappointed when I saw the films, but after seing them again not so long ago, I must admit that they are quite good films, even if they are mostly focused on the action parts of the books.

Being Norwegian myself, I have not failed to notice the new trend where old songs and stories are revised and re-written so that any offensive words or descriptions are no longer present. It's of course quite understandable, but at the same time I can't help thinking that we might be loosing something of our cultural history by rewriting it.

Anyway, I look forward to see your interiors.

Xi
[Dec 21, 2017, 11:49:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia

Oh yes.....
Hi @Cecilia....so so happy to see something new from you. Great pictures again.
Martin
[Dec 22, 2017, 8:58:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

A few words about this project:

Using Levels.
Using multiple levels can be very helpful, not only for separating floors, but also for making projects easy to organise.
In this project I use 8 levels.

The ground
Using a dedicated Ground level might seem unnecessary since a texturable ground is automatically provided,
but here is one good reason for defining your own Ground Level and use a dedicated ground object:
In nature, objects are often sticking up from the ground rather than just lying on the surface. Using my own ground, like a flat terrain or a plane created from a box,
I can place an object on a level beneath the Ground Level so it appears to be lying “into” the ground, and not only “on top of” the ground.

Terrains
There are several inexpensive or even free 3D-apps that can generate 3D terrains from height maps, and hand crafted height maps can easily be painted in Photoshop or Gimp.
A height map will typically use black as zero level, and then rise the terrain relative to the whiteness of the greyscale with absolute white producing the highest level.
I wanted my mountain to have an unnatural form – sharp and edgy, as if it belonged to another world. Here is how I created it.

The interiors
This is the floor plan:

And here are some shots of the main hall.

More detailed renders will follow

Cec
[Dec 22, 2017, 10:34:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Great work !

myself, I used this feature of the ground for Mars projects. wink
it's a good reminder.

But the procedure for relief looks long and complex.
How do you apply all different textures ?

Merry Christmas.

smile
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Dec 23, 2017, 8:21:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Amazing,and very interesting! Thank you very much for these tips.
[Dec 23, 2017, 12:34:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Like Veronique says: Amazing! Very nice work indeed.

While I'm at it:
I have been browsing some of your older posts for a while, and studied both your "tips & tricks" and your illustrations.
In this illustration it seems you have been able to create an overhang ( top image, left side), and I'm curious about how you managed that.
I have a project where I would like to visualise a similar structure.

Merry Christmas to you ( and to everyone else visiting here) !

Xi
[Dec 23, 2017, 1:19:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

Merry Christmas!

Cecilia
[Dec 24, 2017, 2:49:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 185   Pages: 19   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved