Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 31
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 33896 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
oldies2000

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Search luminous neon objects!

Hello everyone,

Search for my new project (lounge) luminous neon objects from American bars. I couldn't find anything in 3D Warehouse!

Is there a website that has something like this?

Thank you very much!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Engelbert

[Dec 20, 2017, 2:56:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Search luminous neon objects!

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/neon-light

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?...=entity&q=neon%20sign

mit die suche: "free 3d model neon sign" gibt's u.v.a.:

https://www.yobi3d.com/fr/q/Mod%C3%A8les-3D/Neon.obj

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/neon

Achte darauf das du selbst <!!!> das Licht an das Model hinzufuegen sollst! OKH hat eine Anleitung geschrieben wie man das macht.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 20, 2017, 4:17:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

OKH hat eine Anleitung geschrieben wie man das macht.
Well, rather an appendix to the SVG mini guide. But with little detail, it does not describe how to add multiple light-sources one model. However, in the Forum there is good advice in several places - also how you can place lights manually in the SH3D plan. That said, for a neon light, my off the cuff advice to avoid too many complications, would be to use a model with a box and transparent lettering so you can place the lights behind the transparent parts in the box.

But much better, look to the rendering-experts, e.g. posts by enkonyito and Ceciliabr, such as the Chinese ghost city.
[Dec 20, 2017, 5:02:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
spocky

USA

Hello,

One solution is to do everything yourself with transparent shapes and adding light sources.
But it's going to be long ...
[Dec 21, 2017, 5:58:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

But it's going to be long ...
Yes, you may have a hard time both finding old bar neon lights and adding lightsources to make it look real. A lot of time and lots of try and fail. I know I would.

But it all depends on your ambition level and need for quality renderings. If you are willing to live with lower quality, there is a possible compromise.

Make a box with a front texture and inside boxes with different colours. Add a couple of lightsources inside the coloured boxes.

Now the front texture is a canvas where you can use raster software (like the Gimp) to write or draw transparent patterns in a .png or .gif file.

Put the different textures on the boxes. That way the light will shine through and look like light signs, if not exactly proper neon signs.

If the texture is mapped to 100% of the front surface, you can also scale the sign to different ratios (but beware the scaling of the lightsource that tends to end up beyond the box borders).

Yes, yes, I know. Nowhere as elegant as other projects, such as the ghost city, but it is quick (and dirty) and takes up very little file space. The rendering, however, can still be pretty sluggish depening on how many lightsources you wish to play with. NOTE that the below examples are quick illustrations not intended to produce high quality results. With some editing the look could improve, if not to the standards some here would require.

In case some of the pros want to contribute proper models, I created a ticket in SF 3D models 453.

ok

Demo file: bar_neon.sh3d

Texture files (low res) - transparency written on a black canvas.

[Dec 21, 2017, 4:49:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alaX

Poland

GLOW

You need your model in .obj format with corresponding .mtl file.
If you have .dae or .3ds model import it to SH3D and export as .obj (3D view > Export to OBJ format...).
Open .mtl and set "illum 0" for material you want to "glow".
Save, reimport model and render with global illumination=path (if you dont have plugin it will be Q4 - best quality i think)

1) Global illumination default - your object is always bright, even if there's no light source in your scene, but it doesn't emit its own light (no glow).
Global illumination path - your object glows - gives light to the scene.

2) The bigger is model (face) the more light it emits (range).
Single face emits light from both sides.

3) You can increase strength of light by multiplying Kd values in .mtl file. Example:
White color is Kd 1.0 1.0 1.0 (RGB) - if you want more bright white change it to Kd 2.0 2.0 2.0.
Green is Kd 0.0 1.0 0.0 - more glowing green Kd 0.0 5.0 0.0

4) Emitted light doesn't pass thru transparent objects.

5) Changing color in "Modify furniture" removes glow effect.
6) It increases rendering time (in comparison to normal light sources).
[Dec 21, 2017, 6:07:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

This is interesting. Never quite figured the full meaning of the illum settings, but then, there you go with amateurs at play. Thanks for sharing this. More to play with: and before I elaborate on my lack of understanding I am looking forward to do some testing - if I can get my head around all the variables.

You would not, by any chance, have a corresponding .sh3d file to explore?

ok
[Dec 21, 2017, 7:27:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alaX

Poland

This is really very simple.
More useful example (i hope):
Create your own sign using walls, floors and other objects (furniture).
(If you want your floor to have thickness create next level with elevation>0)
Apply different colors to parts of your sign (for walls - top and both sides).

Select all parts* and Export to OBJ.

Modify .mtl - illum to "0" (You can remove some parameters - i think you can leave only newmtl, illum and Kd).

Import .obj - rotate, change size if needed, etc.

Place in your home and render Q4 (or with plugin - set gI to "path")**

*If you want to cut hole in floor draw smaller floor shape inside(on it) and don't select it for exporting (see "O" in "GLOW")
** No glowing when sky has texture

Download glow.sh3d
[Dec 21, 2017, 8:38:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Thanks - looking forward to explore.
This is really very simple...
Yes, well, for you, I suppose... Not sure about me. But then, everything is simple when you know how smile. Anyway, thanks again, most useful. New possibilities for learning... And Merry Hols. ok
[Dec 21, 2017, 10:15:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

This is really very simple.
More useful example (i hope):
Create your own sign using walls, floors and other objects (furniture).
(If you want your floor to have thickness create next level with elevation>0)
Apply different colors to parts of your sign (for walls - top and both sides).

Select all parts* and Export to OBJ.

Modify .mtl - illum to "0" (You can remove some parameters - i think you can leave only newmtl, illum and Kd).

Import .obj - rotate, change size if needed, etc.

Place in your home and render Q4 (or with plugin - set gI to "path")**

*If you want to cut hole in floor draw smaller floor shape inside(on it) and don't select it for exporting (see "O" in "GLOW")
** No glowing when sky has texture

Download glow.sh3d
Amazing. applause

Bravo Alax ! love struck
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Dec 22, 2017, 6:00:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved