Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3567 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Rounding of co-ordinates

This is probably a silly question - and not an important one - but I have noticed that sometimes when using exact centimetre values in walls and furniture in SH3D, the values are often off by a minute fraction in Home.xml (and exported .obj). E.g. a wall 17,5cm down becomes yStart='-17.499971' in Home.xml.

Not that it matters much, but I wonder whether there is a reason I do not understand.

ok
[Jan 8, 2018, 10:48:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Rounding of co-ordinates

The values in cm are rounded to the closest decimal in the user interface, but this value may be different in memory and then in the Home.xml file.

This gives me the opportunity to give a tip about handling precision in Sweet Home 3D: in all the spinner fields that accept decimal numbers, it's possible to enter a value with more decimals that the field displays and these additional decimals won't be forgotten when you confirm your choice.
For example, if you enter an angle of 1.54°, the field will still display 1.5°, but the actual value in memory will be 1.54°.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 8, 2018, 11:32:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Rounding of co-ordinates

Thanks, good to know. Still not entirely sure how those odd values appear, I probably must have slided the walls or something.

The reason I asked, was mostly that I discovered that when exporting a selected model from SH3D to do some more editing (e.g. to remove the normals smile), the values in the .obj file appeared relative to co-ords 0,0 in SH3D. Which again means that when I positioned the model with the corner in 0,0 the .obj file was easier to read later (and also shrunk because of fewer digits). A minor detail, but is quite helpful when trying to optimise accurate models.

ok
[Jan 8, 2018, 12:14:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved