Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2807 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
kollmerized

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Couldn't open [...Filename...]

Yesterday I made a plan on my iMac. Today I wanted to open and adjust it on my Win10. But i cannot open the file. There is a Error Message which only says "Couldn't Open "Filename"..."

Do you have any idea what the issue might be?
[Jan 22, 2018, 8:07:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kollmerized

Re: Couldn't open [...Filename...]

problem solved. the filename contained a "ü", this was why sweethome wasn't able to open the file.
[Jan 22, 2018, 8:27:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

smile Sigh. In front of me there is a 8000+ file historical library collected and scanned by different enthusiasts on all sorts of different platforms and OS. French, German and Scandinavian file names. Unfortunately, using 'special' characters still means trouble. BUT there are some clever renaming and batch file manipulation software packages to clean up entire document libraries. Very powerful and handy when used with care. ok
[Jan 22, 2018, 9:44:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Strange issue sad
I just tried with a file named ü.sh3d and didn't have any problem...
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 22, 2018, 5:33:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Mac users are a bit spoiled as Apple had the good sense to support long (256) file names and extended character sets from at least 20 years ago, while Win still carries a legacy from early DOS. In Win, there is still an 8+3 filename (limited ascii) for every file, not to mention a limitation in the total number or characters in a path. Which means a file moved further down the hierarchy can create havoc with the OS. I think the trouble usually occurs when files with non-std-ascii characters are moved between different platforms and operating systems. And to ensure internet compatibility, it is better to drop spaces too...

Me, I have given up: shorter file names and only a-z and 0-9 - no spaces.

ok

PS - which reminds me
1) some characters outside US ASCII would make printers go bananas, and,
2) it used to be possible to tell the difference between VAX/VMS and Unix users by whether they used underscore or hyphens instead of space...
[Jan 22, 2018, 6:20:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved