Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11379 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
dlbrum

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile kitchen countertops ?

Likely a silly noob question, but how does one make countertops ? Like a kitchen island sort of thing ?

Merci beaucoup...
[Mar 15, 2018, 9:24:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
Re: kitchen countertops ?

There are some by default in the 'kitchen' category.
Otherwise you can either do it yourself with some boxes,
either import it from 3dwharehouse site ...

smile
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Mar 16, 2018, 6:53:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

- Draw a wall or several walls that have the shape of the desired counter top
- Insert invisible box or cylinder to cut out the shape of sink or stove
- Apply colour(s) or texture(s)
- Select your design, then export the selection
- Import it as a model and rotate 90 degrees for desired porition
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 16, 2018, 8:25:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dlbrum

United States

Thanks !
[Mar 16, 2018, 11:42:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VintageJim

USA

I have done countertops with boxes made 1 1/2" high and 25" deep. Trying to wrap my head around your technique. What are you applying the color/texture to? The walls? The floor? Why rotate 90º?

I think my brain is too stuck in actual kitchen design software to visualize your technique. Comes from nearly 20 years of using 20/20 kitchen design software. smile
[Apr 1, 2018, 2:19:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Countertops usually have one or more holes in them for sink and/or stove.
There are two ways to make holes using SH3D:
1 - in walls using the door/window feature.
2 - in floors/ceilings using the stairs feature.
Both methods have their (dis)advantages.

If you've been using kitchen design software for 20 years, it might be best to stick to that software. It's probably better geared towards that specific task than SH3D.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 1, 2018, 3:48:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VintageJim

USA

If you've been using kitchen design software for 20 years, it might be best to stick to that software. It's probably better geared towards that specific task than SH3D.

Changed jobs... no longer have access to 20/20 Design. Only do a handful of kitchens now rather than hundreds of them.

Thanks for your reply.
[Apr 6, 2018, 12:58:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
susieque

There is a "Shelf Maple" in the Bedroom List that I used as a countertop, you just need to figure out the elevations and textures. When you double click the item, click on the "textures" tab and scroll down to Miscellaneous and you'll find granite and marble finishes that can be used.
[May 14, 2018, 10:07:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

I use groupings of boxes which I size and then texture and group with the standard kitchen furniture shipped with SH3D. I can make a hole for a sink by making that part of the counter out of several boxes surrounding the hole. In my case the counter was engineered stone with the surface options all being small granular textures. I guess multiple boxes might not be a technique for textures with larger grain.

It would be useful if SH3D came with a standard set of primitive shapes, such as boxes, prisms, pyramids, and a thin walled open-top open-bottom box. It would then be easy to create a variety of counter tops, slopes, roofs, etc, without resorting to Art of Illusion or other such tools. If the sides of all primitives had a separate material that would also be very helpful (it would be easier than laminating with more boxes).

Here is a SH3D rendering of kitchen where boxes contribute to the counter-top, cabinet panelling, light fittings, cabinet handles, etc:

And then we actually constructed it:

All in all, SH3D prevented many mistakes and helped guide the whole effort as we worked our way through the entire house.
[May 20, 2018, 3:32:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

I use groupings of boxes which I size and then texture and group with the standard kitchen furniture shipped with SH3D. I can make a hole for a sink by making that part of the counter out of several boxes surrounding the hole. In my case the counter was engineered stone with the surface options all being small granular textures. I guess multiple boxes might not be a technique for textures with larger grain.
Yes, we did.

It would be useful if SH3D came with a standard set of primitive shapes, such as boxes, prisms, pyramids, and a thin walled open-top open-bottom box. It would then be easy to create a variety of counter tops, slopes, roofs, etc, without resorting to Art of Illusion or other such tools. If the sides of all primitives had a separate material that would also be very helpful (it would be easier than laminating with more boxes).
Entirely agree with you.

Here is a SH3D rendering of kitchen where boxes contribute to the counter-top, cabinet panelling, light fittings, cabinet handles, etc:

And then we actually constructed it:

All in all, SH3D prevented many mistakes and helped guide the whole effort as we worked our way through the entire house.
Amazing, I like this kitchen ! applause
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[May 20, 2018, 7:01:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved