Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 517 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Gollabhama

Trinidad & Tobago
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
first attempt to design my own proposed home - so many difficulties

Hello all,
This is my first post, I am very new to SH3D. Only this weekend, yesterday morning I watched a youtube tutoril and started to design my home. Have 40'x30' land; which is very small; trying to do a split-level home.

Creating structure is very straight forward. I use Ubuntu OS and SH3D is working perfect. However, it is my own lack of experience with this software, engineering aspects (am an accountant), terminology and dimensions etc.

Please see the attached -
my attempt 01

It can be seen that - a) support columns are not aligned properly b) staircases not looking good at all c) many overlapping objects - windows, furniture d) no storage spaces (except one between splits) etc. Problem is I am not an engineer or architect.

At the end of Sunday, I really tired, blocked out. Cannot fix anything. T Importantly, I was unable to create a simple staircase between level 1 and level 2 (3 feet high).

Obviously it is not possible to approach any contractor with this little thing. Any help in identifying issues? any suggestions? please feel free to comment - I am planning to start construction very soon.

Thanks in advance, GB
[Mar 19, 2018, 12:44:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: first attempt to design my own proposed home - so many difficulties

Pretty good for a first plan! smile

support columns are not aligned properly
Select them and change their Y coordinates, or use the Align... items in the Furniture menu.

staircases not looking good at all
If you deform them not proportionally, you'll get strange results. Beside this tip about staircases, the only way to get the staircase that fits perfectly your needs is to assemble some boxes, triangles and/or cylinders.
You might have to make some other decisions too, because the 3 feet wide spiral staircase you placed outside is probably too narrow. Why not placing there a simple straight staircase?

many overlapping objects - windows, furniture
What do you mean by overlapping?

Obviously it is not possible to approach any contractor with this little thing
It could be a starting point that will help you to communicate your ideas with friends and professionals. Now that you learnt Sweet Home 3D, you could try to design a second plan.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 19, 2018, 3:20:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gollabhama

Trinidad & Tobago
Re: first attempt to design my own proposed home - so many difficulties

Thanks a mil Puybaret for your response. Especially thanks for the compliment; but really I am trying. House designs shared by users here on this forum are simply great, mine is nothing. A lot to learn.

Thanks for the tips, will work on columns and staircases. Agreed on your view to put a simple staircase.

My idea is to use this software to finalize the structure first and get the structure constructed (with foundation, concrete slabs/ levels, walls with windows/ burglar grills, staircases (located outside), doors etc. My funds are limited, so I will do the rest - plubming, furniture, internal staircases, electrical wiring. My part-time hobby is to make fish aquariums; so planning a typical one for my home.

Onething is - this software is amazing. Helping me to visualize my own thoughts in building a small home. I really appreciate you and other developers for your excellent contribution; this is an excellent software. Intutive and easy to learn. I am a linux user for many years and your software is working very nicely on Ubuntu 64bit OS.

Thanks again....
[Mar 19, 2018, 9:20:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved