Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4088 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: In need of assistance

1. With notepad You can't do much things. Install Notepad++.
2. Hope not too late; I've made a little library with closely Your type and dimensions. In zip archive You have also the sources in AOI for future projects.
Extract the archive and install only the sh3f.
It took so long because I must learn AOI first blushing
Some preview:
Inside

Outside

----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[May 14, 2018, 5:10:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Thank you again for all your help Dorin.
I cannot imagine me trying to learn other software nor can i master these mtl files or give plan view the openings, so i will stay with what i have, i will however try to find a different handle for them the size (weight) grows about 10x by using the ones i have.
Door without handle <300
Door with handle >800
large window without handles <400
With 3 handles > 1800

Door and window

Thank you again
Mike
[May 19, 2018, 9:47:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
rose Re: In need of assistance

@Mike53
1) I suppose we are a very close age. Maybe I'am a little older,so
"Even the old dog can learn new tricks"
I cannot imagine me trying to learn other software

If I can, You can!
2)
try to find a different handle for them the size (weight) grows about 10x by using the ones i have

You can try but as far as I know You don't find it. That's why I "learn" a little bit AOI and other.
3) You've right about size. But You have to make a compromise between size and quality.
I've extract Your knob as object and this are the extreme:

Left 6.2K and right 233.3k as original.
Few information of what is behind:

You can see the numbers of triangles in original and after optimization of tow pieces which compose Your knob.
So, for me, I opted for a compromise at 113.9k which look like that:

4) If You use it for a pretty regular home is not a problem the size but for a hotel it is biggrin
5) I've started to simplify my furniture; I don't have a hotel but i have a poor computer so I need also to reduce the size everywhere I can.
If You think I can help You I'm available; just ask.
Dorin, a old man (very old for today generation, (clik-generation or tap-generation)) alien 2
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
[May 20, 2018, 3:13:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Thank you Dorin
Is that handle going to be shared? wink
[May 20, 2018, 4:24:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

If anyone is interested i can share the windows (once i change the handle) and door, as you can tell from following this topic, they will show no openings in 2d, and when modifying, all parts are called "default". But they look ok.
Mike
[May 20, 2018, 4:30:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Yes,HERE . In fact is Yours; I only simplify them. Choose which You want.
[May 20, 2018, 5:09:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Mike53 - congratulations on your models! And thanks for sharing the process.

It is indeed true that while a door or window can be realatively small (few surfaces), the hinges, knobs, handles and keyholes often increase the size of the model many times over.
Dorin:
4) If You use it for a pretty regular home is not a problem the size but for a hotel it is
5) I've started to simplify my furniture; I don't have a hotel but i have a poor computer so I need also to reduce the size everywhere I can.

Thanks for your simplification guide. I for one certainly believe in the advantages of small models - for all sort of reasons. However, it is also worth noting that if you use one model many times over in a plan, SH3D will only save one instance of the model. So the file size of a hotel does not have to increase much with many handles.

As for simplification, just for reference, in addition to Dorins simplifications, the models can be stripped down even further by following Puuybarets guide in SF 261. A couple of months ago we needed some retro doorhandles. Thinking same as Dorin, make the models as small as possible - even if these examples may be a bit extreme, they illustrate how far down you can go. I throw them in your examples for comparison.

doorhandle_retro_03.zip - 1508 bytes
doorknob_round_02.zip - 1952 bytes
door_keyhole.zip - 1244 bytes

But as Ceciliabr rightly pointed out in thread 8292 for a nice rendering of a rounded shape, you certainly need more segments in the polygon.

[May 24, 2018, 10:42:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved