Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3438 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Here are some notes I have made over a period of time.

1) OBJECT SIZE
I will suggest an option to use a modifier key to restrict object resizing to one direction only.
Holding “SHIFT” works perfectly as it is. Maybe holding “ALT” or “CTRL” to restrict “Y” or “X”-direction could be possible?

2) PIVOT
It would be helpful to be able to user-define the pivot that an object will rotate around. Placement at one of four selectable corners, and one of four selectable mid-sides.

3) GUIDELINES
I miss having user defined guidelines, preferably with a snap-to function.

4) ALIGN
Options should include “Align at centre”.

5) BASE PLAN

a) An option under the Select-menu: “Select from base plan” – an option that temporarily disconnects the selected object from the Base Plan until it’s modified, and then reconnects it when closing the Modify-window. (Makes a locked object selectable for modifying without unlocking the base plan)

b) An option to lock any specific objects select-ability in the plan, regardless of whether the base plan is locked or not. The object will then be invisible in the plan, but still selectable from the list.

c) The compass should not be part of the Base Plan.

6) LEVELS

Is it possible to include “Make only this level viewable” ( hide all other levels), and “Make all levels viewable”?

7) MODIFY

Can we have an option under “Modify” to auto-apply the same texture to all – like to all six sides of a cube (box)?

8) SKY
Is it possible to enable sky texture rotation?

9) CAMERA
The virtual visitor should have handles making it possible to access them at any zoom-level.

10) ZOOM
Zoom in / out ( CMD + / -) should hold the selected object in the centre of the plan.

11) PROJECT
It would be nice to have an option to merge projects and to export / import levels between projects

And while I’m at it; the video rendering tool formats are a bit behind times. The 2.40 - format would be nice to have :

4K Scope 2.39:1 (referred to as 2.40)  /  4096x1728 – 24/25 fs

HD 1080P Blu-Ray (2.40:1)   1920x800 – 24/25 fs

HD 720P 2.39:1 (referred to as 2.40)  /  1280x536 24/25 fs

Cec
[Jun 3, 2018, 6:18:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Here are some notes I have made over a period of time.

Thanks for your proposals.

1) OBJECT SIZE

I agree that resizing either depth or width is a feature I often miss myself. It shouldn't be difficult to program...

2) PIVOT

I fear this one is would be too complicated to handle for many users with very little benefit.

3) GUIDELINES

There are already guidelines even though there could be more, in particular to align dimension lines.
Which additional ones do you have in mind?
About the snap-to function, I don't think it will happen. First, it would probably fight with the magnetism system, then if you want to enter precise dimensions you can enter them when objects are drawn. Finally, as said in the past about walls drawing, dimensions in a house are rarely round numbers, so why trying to snap to something that doesn't reflect reality?

4) ALIGN

As objects coordinates are measured at their center, aligning at center can be done by selecting the objects you want to align, then choosing Furniture > Modify and enter the X or Y coordinate on which they should be aligned.

5) BASE PLAN

a) I have some big doubts about how to program a "Select from base plan" option, which would be difficult to track in case of multiple selection and probably other cases. Is locking / unlocking so complicated?

b) Forbidding selectability in the plan while continuing to accept it the furniture list would break the current behavior, even if I agree that forbidding the selection of base plan objects in the list when the base plan is locked is questionnable. I wonder if all users could easily guess what is going to happen when they select two or more objects in the list with one being locked and try to move the selected one in the plan. Predictability is part of intuitive software...

c) If you want to modify the compass when it's locked, you can still modify it with its modification dialog shown by Plan > Modify compass menu item.

6) LEVELS

Making the selected level the only viewable one and all levels viewable shouldn't be difficult. i'll try to add that in version 6.0.

7) MODIFY

I added a similar option that lets you select multiple materials to change them.

8) SKY

That would be nice to rotate the sky texture but adding just an angle spinner in the 3D view modification dialog might not be so handy to use... Any other idea?

9) CAMERA

As you probably know, I already tried to improve the handling of its indicators when the visitor is very tiny in the plan, but I must admit it's still not handy when the visitor's drawing is too small. My main problem with the size of the visitor is that it's supposed to reflect the dimensions of a human body in the plan to help the user keep enough space between furniture placed in the house. If I give it a fixed size, this idea will be of course completely broken.
Even if it's an issue in relation with the plan, I could modify the dialog box shown by the 3D view > Modify virtual visitor menu item to add an option like Show as a fixed size camera in the plan, then display a drawing showing the symbol of a camera in the plan. Or add a preference Virtual visitor drawing in the plan: Human body / Fixed size camera but the preferences dialog box is already crowded! Or another idea?

10) ZOOM

As I prefer that zooming never enlarges the total dimensions of the plan, it wouldn’t be possible to always respect your idea of centering. I feel also that trying to make the selection visible is most of the time an acceptable trade off that avoids to move the visible part of the plan as less as possible.

11) PROJECT

You can already copy paste selected items between projects, but levels are lost. My main worry about keeping levels across projects is that it could lead to difficult decisions to make when the levels in the destination project are different.
I also recently wondered if adding Edit > Select all at selected level and Edit > Duplicate could be handy.
Select all at selected level menu item would make it easier to copy paste everything from one level to another one, and be sure that you won't duplicate also items shown on lower level, like staircases.
Edit > Duplicate would duplicate the selected items (possibly selected at all levels) at the same levels where they were.
What do you think?

Finally, I'll add the video format you suggested. Thanks for mentioning them.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Puybaret at Sep 7, 2018, 7:16:40 AM]
[Sep 6, 2018, 5:24:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Thanks for your answer!

I have some comments, if you have the time:

PIVOT
I fear this one would be too complicated to handle for many users with very little benefit.

I see you have added a way to open doors and windows in v6, so there is no longer any need for this smile

GUDELINES
Which additional ones do you have in mind?

If you are familiar with Photoshop, you have probably noticed that we can drag horizontal and vertical guidelines from the rulers. I was thinking about something similar, where any object could be aligned to a custom guideline that worked across all levels. The grid is OK, but it's also sometimes in the way, so I normally work with the grid off, and I always turn of magnetism – it's a lot easier to use the modifier.

COMPASS
If you want to modify the compass when it's locked, you can still modify it with its modification dialogu shown by Plan > Modify compass menu item.

Yes, but it's a lot faster to have the compass available for adjustment at all time and at all levels.
Is there really a good reason for locking the compass along with the plan?
I would prefer the compass to be visible at all levels – and selectable – like the camera.

SKY
That would be nice to rotate the sky texture but adding just an angle spinner in the 3D view modification dialog might not be so handy to use... Any other idea?
Not really. A spinner would be great! A spinner for the sky could be a part of the Modify Compass window ( Renamed to Modify Compass and Sky). ?

CAMERA
Show as a fixed size camera in the plan

In preferences? A splendid idea!

LEVELS
Select all at selected level menu item would make it easier to copy paste everything from one level to another one

Perfect!

Finally, I'll add the video format you suggested. Thanks for mentioning them.

smile Thank you!

Cecilia
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Sep 9, 2018, 3:50:51 PM]
[Sep 9, 2018, 3:50:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry for the guidelines, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
I prefer to improve magnetism, even if you don't use it sad

The compass is part of the base plan because this item is for documentation purpose like dimension lines. I guess you must change it quite often to improve the lighting of your nice renderings, but in the spirit of Sweet Home 3D, the compass is not supposed to be changed once set, like the real orientation and place of a house.

As I chose to add Plan > Make level the only viewable one and Plan > Make all levels viewable in the coming version (features that you requested in the past), I prefer not to add also a Edit > Select all at selected level menu item, because I fear it could be confusing. Choosing Plan > Make level the only viewable one then Edit > Select all will have the same effect.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 9, 2018, 6:59:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

I prefer to improve magnetism, even if you don't use it

Sorry for being so un-precise.
It's great that you are improving the magnetism, and I DO use it – but I only use it with the modifier [ctrl+select] because I use the alignment tool a LOT, and the alignment tool behaviour is ( just like magnetism) dependant upon what is defined as the front of an object, which is not always compatible with the desired front when using the magnetism.
So when there's a conflict due to the behaviour of the magnetism and the align-tool, I choose to define the front in accordance with the "side-by-side"- behaviour of the align tool , and then the magnetism MUST be turned OFF in preferences (to prevent unintentional snapping at the wrong angle).

Maybe your enhancements to the magnetism has something to do with this?
Cec
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Sep 9, 2018, 8:17:50 PM]
[Sep 9, 2018, 8:14:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved