Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13142 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Holes in the ground

Depends on whether the software will let you change the co-ordinate system (e.g. viewBox="0 0 1 1" preserveAspectRatio="none"). The path alone is not much help without knowing the overall dimensions within which your path is referenced. Even so, recalculating the values with a spreadsheet would not be straightforward with a combination of absolute and relative co-ordinates in the path. Maybe it is simpler and more accurate to enter the SVG values manually. Your hull is a relatively simple shape. You just need to measure the relative length of a few co-ordinates: Bow, start bow curve, start hull straight side, start aft curve (and mirror the same values back again + calculate/estimate the two curves). That is, recalculate your mm to values relative to overall size.

My preferred way would be to use a file that opens in a browser and/or edit with e.g. Inkscape (setting preferences SVG output, Path data, Absolute makes it easier to use Inkscape's XML editor to adjust to accurate values later). But without knowing the overall dimensions of the hull and exact curvature of bow/stern, the values are guesstimates.

<svg version="1.1" width="1975" height="400" viewBox="0 0 1 1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" preserveAspectRatio="none">
<path d="
M 1,0.5
L 0.9584,0.7067
C 0.9084,0.9328 0.8615,0.9874 0.8152,1
H 0.318
C 0.01,1 0.01,0 0.318,0
H 0.8152
C 0.8615,0 0.9084,0.0641 0.9584,0.2933
Z " fill="silver" opacity=".6" stroke="red" stroke-width=".01"/>
</svg>

[Jul 22, 2018, 1:03:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

I'm using Inkscape for my sgv jobs, but I'm not really familiar with this software. What I figured out is to scale down the svg path exported from CAD to 1 mm length and 1 mm with. Then the path is as I need it, but the "M" values are somewhere beyond here and the moon... and I can not find the point where they should be...
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Jul 22, 2018, 1:29:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

M would - for SH3D purposes - only indicate the starting point of the cutout. In your path, and mine, it is the bow waterline. But, of course, you can start 'cutting' anywhere.

If M is followed by more than one pair of coordinates, L (lineto) is assumed for the next ones (or l if lowercase m is used). So you can skip the L in the second line of my path. But when editing manually, it is easier (for me) to put each path command on a separate line prefixed with the command. Normally, btw, I would also use L instead of H and V. That way the entire path can easily be imported in a spreadsheet with x and y values in their proper place if you need too play with the values.

ok
[Jul 22, 2018, 2:09:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Ok, seems FreeCad and Inkscape are not realy a good team. I'm usinf FreeCAD-daily release, this is not as stable as it could be, but Inkscape is the stable version, and on my Ubuntu 18.04 this one is absolutely unstable. So, I will send Inkscape to the moon an lear how to edit the svg path manually... This is absolutely not my style of working, because it is uncomfortable and this runs into failures, but the results from the other correctly cut out hulls in SH3D are absolutely awesome, so I will go this way, even if it hurts...
BTW the hull is 25m long and 5m wide.
Pascal

[Jul 22, 2018, 4:20:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

FreeCad and Inkscape are not realy a good team
Maybe there is software well suited for custom SVG suited for SH3D cutouts, but I have not found it. In your case, where almost all the co-ordinates are easy to measure (except maybe parts of the C, Bézier curves) my guess is still that it will be both easier and more accurate to work with the SVG path directly. Hence the cheat file for visualisation above. If opened in Inkscape, you can also import a background image to help.
25m long and 5m wide
Is pretty big... You probably know this, the ICC pleasure craft certificate is not rally standardised, so you may run across problems on a European tour. I do not know various European licences, but here anything above 50ft / 15 metres will requires a much more demanding certificate.

Btw, in addition to your boat line-up in thread,8749 - there is another option if you reallly want to design your own boats. Several manufacturers will sell pontoons on a frame, on which you can construct whatever you like, thread,6956 (and a picture of a live example in thread,6916). While the pontoon construction may not be for offshore use, they are surprisingly seaworthy and quite stable because of their catamaran/trimaran design. And, of course, they do not have to look like boxes...

ok
[Jul 23, 2018, 10:17:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Or may be this floating house. wink

smile
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Jul 23, 2018, 10:39:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

So, based on your path above, I figured out how to edit it manually. I tried it with Inkescape, but this software does not run properly on my system. Perhaps I should look aroud for an alternative...

I wish I could build a boat about 38m long and 5m wide (Freycinet), because this would fit in most of the locks but for boats from 25m upwards you have to have a captain's license (at least 4 years to gain) to control it. So my Luxemotor will be just under 25m. For this size I only need to have a "small" license.

The idea about the pontoons is a good one, and it's a cheap one. That's why I already had it myselfe:

The COBO1215 and the COBO0609 are both based on a pontoon platform and the COBO1215 is even usable for coastal waters.
But they have oune big problem: they are much higher than the other boats, and that is a problem, if you have to pass low bridges. The COBO0609 is my try to fix this problem, but this boat is really small...

At this point I have to say thank you very much for your help with the svg path, you really saved my boat projects and fixed my problem (even if it's not a perfectionist-solution wink ). Now I only have to wait for SH3D 6.0 to fix the group-problem and from then SH3D is a perfect boat and ship design software!
Pascal

[Jul 23, 2018, 11:51:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

So my Luxemotor will be just under 25m. For this size I only need to have a "small" license.
That may be so for European waterways. But if I have understood correctly, the ICC certificate proves only general competence - and you may still be barred by local restrictions. And that may be less than 25 metres. Here the limit would be 15 metres (and you would also need the ICC costal licence).
The idea about the pontoons is a good one, and it's a cheap one.
There is no such thing as a cheap boat smile

You are right that the pontoon solution will not let you exploit volume below the waterline for habitation, and you will loose headroom. Still, I thought most European waterways had air draft of > 3 metres (?) - and that should be sufficient for a pontoon boat?

ok
[Jul 23, 2018, 5:56:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

The licenses are complicated to choose, you have to be sure what you want (and you have to be sure what you need...). So, there are 3 possibilities:
1. to only navigate the inland waterways (with this license you are not allowed to navigate costal waters or offshore)
2. to only navigate the seas around the world (with this license you are not allowed to navigate inland waterways)
3. to gain both of this licenses to navigate where you want

Of corse, there are other possibilities between, but to gain them there are some other problems (one of them is to speak dutch...).

The european waterways are about 47'000km long, that is more than enough to navigate on. This is a point for #1.
Sweden has one of the most beautiful canals on this world and the archipelagos and the mälaren up there are impressive landscapes. So this is a point for #3.
The possibility #2 is no option for me, because all of my boats are primary designed to navigate inland waterways and they are not realy comfortable to navigate on rough seas.

You're right, most of the european waterways have an air draft >3m, but I try to design my boats for absolute all of the waterways in europe. And old bridges with an air draft of about 3m are traps! The 3m airdraft is only in the exact center f the bridge. At a width of 5m there often are only 2.8m left.
For me the old bridge at Capestang, crossing the canal du midi, is my template (I have a 3D model of this bridge in SH3D) to design the profile of my boats.
Often I just tilt the roof edges off but if you want to have a flybridge or a terrace on a pontoon boat, this would end in a boat which is not able to fit under one of these old bridges. And on my pontoon boats COBO1215 and COBO0609 (COBO0609 fits under the old bridges, it's only 2.5m wide) tilting the edges would intolerable rise the price of the boat because of it's construction.
Pascal

[Jul 23, 2018, 9:37:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

@bdfd, I'm designing two floating houses right now - and the palm trees in your picture are very inspiring...
Pictures coming soon...
Pascal

[Jul 23, 2018, 9:43:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved