Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2387 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
ndorigatti

Italia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Cloth, towels and Blanket

Following the other thread, I'm opening this one to discuss about cloth, towels and blanket simulation from Blender to SweetHome3D

http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,8727

My first attempt was:
That feature is amazing!
I've never been able to use blender, but with a couple of videos and some tests, I managed to have a cloth (decent) and knew a bit more on the software!
I'm still far from understanding how to drop those things on the bed (or how to do it in a such amazing way) but I got something!

Here it is my first result:

And an answer with good tips from rontant are here:
ndorigatt, congratulations on your first cloth simulation. Not bad for the first attempt.

Blender has a steep learning curve. One has to invest lots of time to learn it. We can sit all day in front of a computer just to experiment with cloth simulation alone, but since it is free, I can't complain about it. tongue

In Blender, you can use cubes, cones, cylinders, etc, or combination of all, to drop the cloth on. To simulate the edge of a bath tub, for example, I used a cube and resized it to about the same height and thickness as the side of a bathtub.

The angle and height where the cloth start to drop, as well as its size, material, etc, play important parts in getting the right result you want.

Of course, before exporting to obj, you have to delete all other stuffs, leaving only the cloth.

Anyway, since this thread is about glass block, maybe we should start a new thread about creating cloth instead.

[Jul 12, 2018, 9:43:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia
Re: Cloth, towels and Blanket

And my attempts go on with a try to simulate a blanket on a sofa (exported from SweetHome3D), I'm still experimenting with the various values of cloths, following this video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4czh0x31xk

All of what I'm doing can be freely given to anyone requesting it.
[Jul 12, 2018, 10:11:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Bravo, ndorigatti! I'll wait for your next experiment on cloth. Please share the rendered photos, will you?
[Jul 12, 2018, 12:38:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

Yes, for sure! I'm now stuck on this render (tried a lot of settings but this is for now the best based on my desired result).

What I want now to check if exists is the ability to pull the clothes after they fall down, and after that experiment the use of additional elements to drive the fall.

Thank you rontant!
[Jul 12, 2018, 1:10:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Cool!
I really shall have to learn more about Blender.

So far I have used Poser Pro to handle cloth, like in this thread, but from watching the video, it seems Blender is easier to understand, since it has just some five parameters to tweak, whereas Poser has like a million, and every try is a Hail Mary.
[Jul 13, 2018, 11:06:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

Cool!
I really shall have to learn more about Blender.

So far I have used Poser Pro to handle cloth, like in this thread, but from watching the video, it seems Blender is easier to understand, since it has just some five parameters to tweak, whereas Poser has like a million, and every try is a Hail Mary.

Wow, the renderings at those link are amazing!!!
from my perspective it is quite easy to understand (except you have to guess the name of the functions!), but it also have a lot of parameters with which you can play!
The last picture of the blanket on the sofa, I've played for about one hour and got a lot of different renderings (not saved) that emulated different materials, with a couple of params changed I moved to cotton - silk -rigid/plastic blanket to having a sort of "jellyfish" blanket that slides everywhere!

What I next want to learn in blender is how to draw things (I used Sketchup until now but that's not the best on) and how to map textures correctly (I saw in a video a sort of guided-visual mapping).

I highly suggest to also look at some video on youtube that shows "pinning" of cloths, that allow to render jacket, towels and other clothes in a very realistic way!!!
[Jul 13, 2018, 11:55:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved