Blog

Index  | Recent Threads  | List Attachments  | Search
 Welcome Guest  |  Register  |  Login
Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 124
Posts: 124   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 299979 times and has 123 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Light & textures - rendering examples of this and that.

Why use a textured sky?

Travelling from the Norwegian mountains to spend the second half of our summer vacation in Antibes, I can’t avoid noticing the distinct difference in the light and colours that
separates the nordic sky from the mediterranean sky, both at daytime and at night.
In Norway the summer nights are never completely dark. There’s always light at the horizon - a light that makes it easy to navigate at night, even when there is no visible moon.

Spending my adolescence in Oslo, I never really had any thoughts about this nordic phenomenon, since there are always a lot of lights in a big city.
Now I can’t help wondering if these differences have an impact on the inhabitants.
In my experience, I sense that people who are living further south, have a temper that reflects the more abruptly change of daylight to night, while the northerners have a tendency to build a temper more gradually ,
reflecting the ever so slow transition between day and night – which increases the further north you get.

A lot of famous painters have turned to the Riviera to catch the magic of the Mediterranean light, whilst others have gone to Skagen (Denmark) to experience the enthralling colours of the Nordic sky.

EXAMPLES

Mediterranean light on the left – nordic light on the right.

I absolutely appreciate the mediterranean light, and I love the mellow haziness that is depicted in the mediterranean paintings... but...

Working with SH3D for several years now, I have found that the SunSky is using the mediterranean colour scheme, no matter the settings of the compass:
Wether you set your co-ordinates to Longyearbyen (Spitzbergen) or Nairobi (Kenya), the colour scheme of the SunSky remains the same.
The SunSky is not taking the Rayleigh scattering into consideration.
The blue component of the spectrum (and shorter wavelengths in general) are scattered by nitrogen, oxygen and other gasses, and this will become more and more visual the further north ( or south) you deviate from the equator.
And the further from the equator you go, the sharper and less hazy any distant element will appear, since the atmosphere gets thicker the closer you are to the equator.

I have created some example images:

MORNING

A morning shot with Sun Sky

Same shot with a textured nordic morning sky.

DAY

A day shot with the default SunSky:

Same shot with a textured sky ( nordic sky)

NIGHT

A night shot with the default Sun Sky

Same shot with a textured nordic blue night sky

Are there any significant differences in rendering time between these renderings?
No, not any significant differences; normally just a few seconds – maybe a minute when using very large sky textures ( 6000 x 1500 px and upwards).

I have only used 3D models to create these images.
When using 3D models instead of textured surfaces, the shadows are always displayed related to the direction of the light sources, wether they are
generated by a natural light source ( the sun), or created by one ore several artificial light sources.

I have attached the project files in case anyone should be interested in studying them.
These project files will by default render the images as shown with a textured sky.

http://ceciliabr.com/LP/Day.sh3d

http://ceciliabr.com/LP/Morning.sh3d

http://ceciliabr.com/LP/Night.sh3d

(The 3D models used in this project are either my own creations or models that come with SH3D, so any 3D model or texture can be extracted and used freely )

Cecilia
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Jul 17, 2019, 3:19:51 PM]
[Jul 17, 2019, 3:09:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Thank you very much Cec, very interesting, and some great textures, i managed to keep 8 of these biggrin, but, unfortunately i couldn't see the morning sky, all 3 had the same, would love to try that with my recent project if that is possible.
And i continue to learn from you, just realised what you meant when you say color and texture to create ambience for the render, i did not know both could be used simultaneously, thx for that too.
Keep up the great work please. smile
MIke
[Jul 17, 2019, 10:25:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

all 3 had the same

Very sorry about that, Mike!

It should be fixed now

Thanks for your nice words!

C
[Jul 17, 2019, 3:23:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Thank you again Cec, perfect, and the object "horizon", when reduced down to 11m or so, makes an excellent natural looking pond, double well done on that 1

Mike
[Jul 17, 2019, 4:08:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Lovely message, Cecilia. Thank you so much to share your thoughts and your files!
[Jul 17, 2019, 5:57:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Working with SH3D for several years now, I have found that the SunSky is using the mediterranean colour scheme, no matter the settings of the compass:
Wether you set your co-ordinates to Longyearbyen (Spitzbergen) or Nairobi (Kenya), the colour scheme of the SunSky remains the same.
The SunSky is not taking the Rayleigh scattering into consideration.

It seems that Sunflow uses Rayleigh scattering for SunSkyLight but I also find that the blue color of the sky is not correctly rendered by day.

When the sun is below the horizon, SH3D turns off SunSkyLight for a dark night.

Here is a comparative test with a spherical lens when SunSkyLight is enabled for cities:
- Longyearbyen, Spitzbergen (latitude: N 78.223; longitude: E 15.646; time zone: Arctic/Longyearbyen)
- Nairobi, Kenya (latitude: S 1.299; longitude: E 36.859; time zone: Africa/Nairobi)

Morning_Longyearbyen

Morning_Nairobi

Day_Longyearbyen

Day_Nairobi

Night_Longyearbyen

Night_Nairobi

Enko
EnkoNyito
[Jul 19, 2019, 5:31:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Hi Enko,
thanks for your contribution here!

As far as I've read, nights in Longyearbyen are pitch black in the winter, and light as day in the summer.
After studying some pictures on the net, I have tried to recreate summer skies for Longyearbyen and Nairobi.

A summer night/ day in Longyearbyen would look something like this:

A summer day in Nairobi should look something like this:

I'm not able to recreate your night sky images by using your coordinates and time zone settings. How did you do that?

Cec
[Jul 20, 2019, 9:25:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Hi Cecilia,
I'm not able to recreate your night sky images by using your coordinates and time zone settings. How did you do that?

I had used a beta version of the photo plug-in where sunSky was always activated regardless of the sun's position.
The consequence is that the sky never becomes black, the blue color lightens until the middle of the night and darkens before sunrise.

Nice sky textures!
EnkoNyito
[Jul 22, 2019, 6:59:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Nice sky textures!

Thank you! smile

I had used a beta version of the photo plug-in where sunSky was always activated regardless of the sun's position.

You shouldn't happen to need a beta-tester?

Cec
[Jul 25, 2019, 10:23:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

You shouldn't happen to need a beta-tester?
I'll let you know when it's time.

No change regarding your problem ?
EnkoNyito
[Jul 26, 2019, 3:58:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 124   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved