Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4952 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
TheTrueMe

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
The format of the chosen model isn't supported. Please chose an other model.

Hi,

I've been using SH3D for a bit now, I've made a few homes and flats etc using the programme just for fun, and I've been making 3D models using 3D builder on windows pretty much the whole time with no issues at all. I've also used the free designs of course. Each time, I create the model (always a fairly simple design) on 3D builder, "Save As..." an OBJ file, as the other supported file types aren't an option on the programme, and then import to SH3D with no issues.

A while ago, SH3D stopped accepting these models unless I put them into a zipped compressed file or whatever it's called first, and I always put the mtl file in there too just to be safe, and it worked for ages. I imported a piece of furniture (a bumpy rug for the bathroom) last night for example, but then I made another immediately after, and after following the exact same process, but with a 3D model of a cabinet, I got the following error on Sweet Home 3D:

"The format of the chosen model isn't supported. Please chose an other model."

I've tried to resave the 3D model a few times, in case I did something different, I've tried importing it with and without the compressed zip file and even with all colours and textures removed but none of that worked. I've even tried saving it under 3 different names just in case the only issue was that the programme was getting confused with an older model or something along those lines, but so far nothing has worked.

I would definitely try saving it as a different file type but as 3D builder doesn't have the option to save as those file types, I'm lacking in options in that area.

Can anybody tell me why this particular model may not be supported when all the others have been? I haven't used any unusual colours or textures, named it with any symbols in the name, changed the file format, it's not even the biggest or smallest model I've created (although it's a bit difficult to tell sometimes) so I don't think it can be file size related (can it??? is there a restriction on either end of this?), it's not a particularly complicated model either.

I'm just totally out of ideas and I'm hoping it wont take a huge work around to sort this out as I just make these for fun and longwinded processes to work around something that used to work fine aren't fun, but then maybe it'll only be needed once as it will still import my older homemade models. PLEASE HELP :)
[Sep 8, 2018, 4:23:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: The format of the chosen model isn't supported. Please chose an other model.

Sorry, but it's difficult to help without the OBJ or ZIP file you tried to import. You don't even name the tool you used to design your model!
If you don't want to share the file, you can send it to me, I'll have a look.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 9, 2018, 6:23:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Re: The format of the chosen model isn't supported. Please chose an other model.

When I get this error message importing an .obj-file , it's always due to a syntax error in the .mtl-file.

Cec
[Sep 9, 2018, 8:26:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TheTrueMe

Sorry, but it's difficult to help without the OBJ or ZIP file you tried to import. You don't even name the tool you sued to design your model!

What do you mean the tool? All I know is the program I used, which was 3D builder, sorry! and I would share the file, but I don't know where I can upload an .obj file to?

When I get this error message importing an .obj-file , it's always due to a syntax error in the .mtl-file.

This sounds promising, what do you do to fix this error? :)

Thanks for the (ongoing) help, guys :)
[Sep 10, 2018, 12:25:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

This sounds promising, what do you do to fix this error?

First try to rename the .mtl-file so SH3D don't see it.
If you can import the model (it will be all grey) without the .mtl-file, then you have at least located the problem.

We don't know yet if I'm right – but assuming I am:

My best advice is to open the .mtl-file of a model that you know is working, and then compare it with the non-working.
You might spot the error – or you might not.

3D builder is likely to produce the same errors again. Then you have to learn how to wash your mtl-files, or you will be stuck.

Lots of luck!

Cec
[Sep 10, 2018, 10:18:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TheTrueMe

First try to rename the .mtl-file so SH3D don't see it.
If you can import the model (it will be all grey) without the .mtl-file, then you have at least located the problem.

Thanks so much for the info, but unfortunately it looks like this isn't the issue this time as this didn't work :(
[Sep 11, 2018, 6:58:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

3D builder had some oddities when I tested testing. Maybe obj format too, but cannot remember the details. Could be extra info in the .obj file or something, as often is the case when Microsoft exports to other formats. Import/export via Paint3D might work.

Or you could share it via some online service. Gallery 1886 explains mediafire, but any service will do as long as the file can be read by others. It could be interesting to see the reason now 3D builder is preinstalled on so many PCs.

ok
[Sep 12, 2018, 3:12:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TheTrueMe

Interestingly, I just tried to convert my obj file on an online 3D converter and despite uploading to it etc it said there was a possible malformation in the file and it couldn't convert it.

Anyway, thanks to okh I have uploaded my files to mediafire, can anybody have a look at them and see if they work for you? or see if you can see any problems? Hopefully the files will be more informative to the issue.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/5l5h9e0px62vf/3D_models

Thanks!
[Sep 21, 2018, 5:25:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Hi TTM,

Just downloaded 3 files and tried to import them. I get the same error message as you get.
Looking at the MTL-file with a text editor, I noticed that the medwood-JPG file isn't mentioned. Is that file not needed, or is it omitted for some reason?

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Sep 22, 2018, 8:38:20 AM]
[Sep 22, 2018, 8:18:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Same error as hansmex. Blender does not like it either, and gives some sort of report. It looks nice in 3D builder, but there must be something wrong in the export (i.e. blame Redmond). Will look at it and try to figure it out. Even if I have never warmed to 3D builder, the user interface is relatively clean and straight-forward. Coming pre-installed on Win machines, I suppose we may hear more problems like this. ok
[Sep 22, 2018, 9:45:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved