Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4947 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: The format of the chosen model isn't supported. Please chose an other model.

As a Ubuntu (Linux) user, I'm not very familiar with Windows. A bit of research shows that 3D Builder is geared towards 3D printing. That may explain why the texture is not included in the exported file.
And as OK points out, Microsoft is well-known to have their own interpretation of what is "standard", so it shouldn't come as a surprise that their OBJ-files are incompatible with about anything not-Microsoft.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 22, 2018, 10:23:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: The format of the chosen model isn't supported. Please chose an other model.

..3D Builder is geared towards 3D printing...
That may very well be the explanation (even if there is a texture in the .mtl). So I tried a couple of approaches (very quickly, so take this with a pinch of salt). Manually removing all textures and materials from .obj file. And that worked, but of course with no colours / textures. Then I tried 3D builder and exported in the other available formats. Then Blender could read them, but again without colours or textures.

Then I did a couple of tests with 3D builder. Just boxes and cylinders with and without textures. The exported .obj/.mtl/.jpg imported as expected in SH3D. Which means I do not understand what has happened with your .obj file.

But I took the liberty of messing a bit with the parts of your file I managed to export, simplifying a bit. Round legs in 3D Builder are very detailed, possibly useful for 3D printing, but not needed for SH3D. Even by Cec standards. Then I added texture mapping all elements (say if you want the same wood in one or more of the shelves). But as this was a quick and dirty test, I may have ruined your original proportions. Not too much I hope.

SF 3d models 501:
- stylish_simplified.zip
- stylish_simplified.sh3d

[Sep 22, 2018, 2:30:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TheTrueMe

Looking at the MTL-file with a text editor, I noticed that the medwood-JPG file isn't mentioned. Is that file not needed, or is it omitted for some reason?

I'm not really sure how it works to be honest, but it's nothing I've done. I just want whatever ends up being imported to SH3D to have more than one editable colour/texture as I like to change them within the homes rather than predict the colour in general. In this case, the main design feature that made this model interesting was the concept of having coloured shelves, which is why it was such a blow that there was a possibility the solution was going to need to be a blank model.

Microsoft/Windows or the 3D printing goal might be where the issue is coming from, but whatever the issue is wasn't happening before this model and hasn't happened since (I think I made one thing since and imported it no issue, no more than that yet.)

I really do use 3D builder just because it's there on my laptop to be honest XD I don't have the experience on other 3D modellers to know if I'd be able to use them or not, 3D builder more corresponds to lego or model planes, putting different shapes together and painting them, it's not high tech, at least not in my hands. XD

Then I did a couple of tests with 3D builder. Just boxes and cylinders with and without textures. The exported .obj/.mtl/.jpg imported as expected in SH3D. Which means I do not understand what has happened with your .obj file.

But I took the liberty of messing a bit with the parts of your file I managed to export, simplifying a bit. Round legs in 3D Builder are very detailed, possibly useful for 3D printing, but not needed for SH3D. Even by Cec standards. Then I added texture mapping all elements (say if you want the same wood in one or more of the shelves). But as this was a quick and dirty test, I may have ruined your original proportions. Not too much I hope.

I really don't get why it's doing it either, but I'm really grateful for your version of it! The original proportions were never very important to me but even so I can't really see how much they've been changed. I'm just really happy to have something that looks like what I intended in my model at last :D Also the number of faces on the 3D builder cylinders and how complicated they can be to paint unless you're going for a block colour bugs me too XD They really don't need so much detail for a rounded edge. I can only assume it's down to the 3D printing thing also.

Thanks again!

--------------

With SH3D finally accepting this variant of the model, my problem is now solved until/unless 3D builder does it again. I am still interested in what caused the problem, so I may be able to fix it in future, if anybody has any future input, but we need not spend any more time guessing at answers that we can't figure out until a more solid answer comes along (unless you want to of course :) ). Thanks all for your time :)
[Sep 26, 2018, 6:29:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

II know it has been solved, but I can't resist a challenge, so I had to try.

Imported your file into Verto Studio 3D using the assimp library option. Exported an .obj file, which was unreadable by SH3D.
Changed the wood texture and exported a dae file, and it opened in SH3D right away.

It's a huge model – plenty of storage capacity :)

Here it is

Cec.
[Oct 2, 2018, 12:59:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved