Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1911 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
applause Easy import with CSV files

Hi everybody,

I read that some users had problems with import of csv file.
It's so simple. biggrin

Rename the created csv file with SH3D in format txt.
Open it with Excel (or another)
Let the first option (of import's assistant) in 'delimited' => next
Let the second option in 'tabulations' => next

Choose the format of the column (optional) => End

What do you say about the result ? wink
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Sep 28, 2018, 9:25:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Easy import with CSV files

No need to rename the CSV file, use File > Import in Excel.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 28, 2018, 9:59:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

It's so simple. biggrin
Yes, importing .csv is easy. And if all things match, currency, character-set and numeric formats, it can work without a glitch. But trying your example (which by the way I think is just the same way hanmex tried in 8704/41112), I do not think it solves the issue raised by hansmex. At least I get the same result also in Excel. Namely that the currency-fields will import as texts. In addition, Excel did not recognise my comma and thousands delimiters. This is easy to set in OpenOffice/LibreOffice and Gnumeric, so the procedure may differ slightly for non-Excel users as Gnumeric and OpenOffice/LibreOffice have as many or more importing options. But the currency text may still be tricky. Btw, some issues can also be avoided just by copying the furniture list from SH3D and paste to the spreadsheet instead of export/import .csv.

But if there is an easier way to avoid currency text import than editing out the currency code(s), it would be interesting to know.

ok
[Sep 28, 2018, 10:34:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
smile Re: Easy import with CSV files

I use each day Excel 2013.
I saw 'Export' but no 'Import' (csv opens automatically excel) ???

Here are the results

=> I have none problem with any column.

wink
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Sep 28, 2018, 11:01:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I find it increasingly surprising that a free and open source program only works properly with expensive closed source software such as Windows and Excel.

On a clean install of Ubuntu 18.04 the program won't run, neither do the Library Editor or the Furniture Editor. I am fully aware that there are workarounds for some of these problems, but that is beside the point. Software should work as is, out of the box. You cannot expect people to be or become full-fledged programmers in order to run software.

Somewhere around version 4 the downloaded software only had to be unpacked and it functioned flawlessly. Unfortunately you miss out all the fun when you use such an old version.

Maybe the introduction of ever more new features should be delayed in order to regain better compatibility for systems other than Windows.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 28, 2018, 11:41:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Hans, you speak from my heart! I realize this is primarily about SH3D, but I would like to mention that this is not the only software with this problem: FreeCAD and Cura are two of the more prominent examples of many.
I am also aware that especially small development teams like that of SH3D have a huge task.
Nevertheless, I am always disappointed with this situation and especially for software like SH3D I see a dark future because of this problem ...
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Sep 28, 2018, 12:00:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, you should consider that since version 4, Ubuntu has changed too. As an old user and a great contributor of Sweet Home 3D, I read your comments closely, but Sweet Home 3D works out of the box on my copy of Ubuntu 18, so it's difficult to help you without more info.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 28, 2018, 12:04:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

...I have none problem...
Good for you. And it can work and often will. But you are likely to run into problems if you do not use Euro (only), nevermind if you use several languages and locales. In the English version SH3D uses comma as thousands separator and period/full-stop as decimal separator. Excel/LO/OO use computer locale. And in Excel I have not found a way of changing comma/full stop in the import wizard. But I think feature request 890 at least could solve most of the problem. For those of us who do not have mononational computers, that is smile
..increasingly surprising that a free and open source program only works properly with expensive closed source software such as Windows and Excel...
Having grown up with Unix I love Linuxe and have used it on and off for very many years. Fast, open, flexible, easily customised, but it comes at a cost. There are either issues that do not work as they should, graphic drivers, network cards, printers, scanners ... or something. Not to forget the mess with trying to use Wine for special applications. As you say, there are always workarounds but I simply do not have the time. There is a reason I would hesitate recommending Linux to inexperienced computer users. Before you know it, you end up having to use the command line to perform mondane tasks. That said, do not forget that Windows have serious disadvantages too. I could write a list about everything that is wrong with Windows, especially 10.

As for the SH3D installation issues, I have not tried and cannot tell. But I am positively surprised at the all-in-all few problems with SH3D running on many Linux distros and Windows/MacOS versions.

But when it comes to interaction with Excel and .csv, I hardly think SH3D is to blame. My experience is that Excel is the least easy to exchange SH3D furniture lists. LibreOffice / OpenOffice work reasonably well (better import dialogue), but for my setup, Gnumeric (a version ported from Linux to Windows) is the best. So there you go. Maybe I should upgrade to Linux after all...

ok
[Sep 28, 2018, 12:31:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

You know I have been using SH3D since early version 2, close to 10 years now. I have a lot of admiration for the fact that you, as a one man team, have created this program. It's bordering on genius.

Yes, I am aware that Ubuntu has changed over the years. They have been following a rather erratic course with changes in interface, trying to make a phone OS, and other projects. The usability of Ubuntu has definitely diminished through this all. That's why in the past two years I made a brief excursion to Windows 10. And although W10 is probably the best version since 95-98, I've returned to Ubuntu because it better suits my needs.

Yes, I can install v5.7 from the software shop and it works. Unfortunately the Library and Texture Editors don't work properly, nor do they work when installed from this website. Only through extensive help from UbuntuBirdy have I been able to get the beta to work, so that I can contribute my bit in testing the betas.

I'm a computer user, not a programmer. I can drive a car, but I can't fix it when it's broken. Cars should drive "out of the box" in any country and on any kind of road. And so should computer programs.

You're a genius when it comes to making a complex program easy, it's praise you get from many first time users. That said, the program and interface are starting to suffer from the success and new features. Several years ago I suggested that the interface needed an overhaul, and this is even more urgent now. My suggestion would be that v7 concentrates on interface and compatibility.

The share of Linux users may be relatively small, but it's a dedicated group of computer users. If I can help you in any way, I'll gladly do so, even if it means taking my computer with me on a visit to Paris. If you need any info on configuration, you just have to ask.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 28, 2018, 1:19:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved