Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11894 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: New prefixes

After Hans discovered some issues I tested them one more time - and yes, he is right:
1. (left folding chair) This issue is no problem for me, but it would be nice if we can turn the whole chair standing upright.
2. (right folding chair) Same problem as in point 1 but in a different position.
3. (right folding chair) The hinges of the back legs are "Broken". They move out of the counterpart...
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Oct 11, 2018, 1:42:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alaX

Poland

@Hans
1.I agree it's not convenient and not easy to guess the angle of rotation. Let's forget about this solution.
2. Seat is not supposed to rotate - the idea was to force horizontal position for folded "legs" too. But folded chair also needs rotation, only this time it's x90degrees.
3. Yes, okh's suggestion turns out the best.

@UbuntuBirdy
3 works as I intended - can you show screenshot of these nauhty hinges?

@Emmanuel
Apparently I can't get out of my head rails and hinges wink
Here is something you can spin and spin...
[Oct 12, 2018, 12:17:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

@UbuntuBirdy
3 works as I intended - can you show screenshot of these nauhty hinges?

I'll try my best:

Pascal

[Oct 12, 2018, 2:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alaX

Poland

I thought you were reffering to the third model - this is the second one. Hinges (prefixes) are hidden and in this case none of them is where long and short legs meet (visible hinge). That's why it looks bizzare - probably I should've removed visible hinges but it was quick modification of the first model. Anyway, in this test the third model wins.
[Oct 12, 2018, 12:19:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..why do you need as small files as possible? Do they really slowing down your systems or even cause some problems?
I personally love as much details as possible in a object and hi-res textures...

Oh, detail is great. But even if SH3D is remarkably fast it will reach a point where model sizes will slow it down. Add a sufficient number of different trees, hedges and other high detail objects, and at some point you will notice a slowdown no matter the speed of the computer. Never mind the file-sizes. So I may accept a slight quality loss if I can reduce a model size significantly. That is just a question of balance and what you need the model for: some comparisons in thread 8292 can illustrate:

So one thing is acceptable quality loss. But in many cases it is also possible to simplify a model without any quality loss at all. So in general, using small but detailed models is ideal. A clever model has good detail, but is still small in size and no extra clutter that causes extra fan noise.

alaX' models are already tidy and neat, so the point I was trying to make here was a bit different. When editing the .obj file, i.e. to add hinges and rails, it is (slightly) easier with a cleaned .obj file. But I am not suggesting a quality loss. And it really is just a question of how you work with models. I guess everyone is different.

ok
[Oct 13, 2018, 5:04:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

I beleve you're right, but I have never noticed any slowing down except while loading a project. Do you have an example file for me?
Seems my projects are not detailed enough... thinking
You're also right about your 3 examples, if I have the possibility to choice the middle one I would do so. But what's the difference in file size between 2 and 3? Is it worth to invest more time in this model? This is another question of balance...
Pascal

[Oct 13, 2018, 10:34:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

...difference in file size between 2 and 3?
I cannot remember the details, and do not think I saved the test files, but the difference in size is significant. Of course, there may be good reasons to use very high-res images and models. But not always. Point of the Tin can thread 8292, was just to show an example of how far it is possible to go in vertices. I think Cec' may have done some rendeering speed tests too in the same thread (or elsewhere). What you could do, is taking your barge hull and do a limited dissolve with Blender. My bet is that you could bring it far down without any noticable difference in display quality. That should give you a good indication.

ok
[Oct 15, 2018, 11:09:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

And this is right where it is not worth the time because I do absolutely not know how to use Blender...
But I am sure you are right and if I will ever have performance problems with big models, I will remeber your words!
Pascal

[Oct 15, 2018, 6:51:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Great lamp in SF 3d models 505, alaX!

Some more fun and games with hinges in SF 3d models 506 - a flagpole with hinged flag. You could of course turn the flag-pole, but not without turning and misplacing the foundation. Hmm, maybe not very useful smile

flagpole_hinge.zip

[Oct 23, 2018, 1:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Hmm, maybe not very useful smile

Of course it is! Because the center point of the flag with pole is NOT the center point of the pole.
I had this issue with an wind turbine and I remodeled the turbine the way that the center point matches to its mast.
Your solution is way easyer and smarter!
Pascal

[Oct 23, 2018, 2:19:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved