Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1593 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
connomar

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Creating Models including Glass

I've used Sweethome3d for many years, and used to model furniture using Art of Illusion. I seem to vaguely remember that one could name an object in AoI with something like sweethome3d_window_pane, and it would automatically be transparent when the OBJ file was imported.

I am now using a very old version of 3D Studio called GMAX and wonder if the same technique can be used. However, I have searched the forum for a memory refresh and can't find any reference to these names. Can anyone help please?
[Nov 5, 2018, 3:31:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Creating Models including Glass

Yes, an group in an obj file can be made to reflect when rendering using the sweethome3d_window_mirror prefix. The group can be named manually in the .obj file - or with software like Blender. How to do it with GMAX I would not know, but point is that the group is named correctly in the .obj file.

As it happens, version 6.0 has added a lot more possible group prefixes - you can read mora about it in thread 8704#39644 Sweet Home 3D 6.0.

ok
[Nov 5, 2018, 12:30:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Oops, sorry, should have read more closely. The prefix in the .obj file makes the surface reflective. For transparency you need to set transparency in the model. This should be exported to the .mtl file that goes with the .obj file. Depending on the software, it may also be possible to use a transparent .png texture on the group. ok
[Nov 5, 2018, 12:33:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
connomar

Thanks so much for your help.

I've not succeeded yet, but I've found an object I created sometime ago with glass which actually worked. I really just need to bite the bullet and learn Blender. My current workflow destroys the names applied to object elements. GMAX doesn't export to obj, so I have to convert the MDL file it is exporting to obj.

As my usual 3D work is creating airport scenery for MS Flight Simulator, my familiarity with those tools seemed a much easier path.

Should have known better.

Thanks again.
[Nov 6, 2018, 3:26:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

If your export tool is able to generate also MTL files, you're not obliged to name window parts sweethome3d_window_mirror.
Transparency is described in the lines starting by d. Using a line like:
d 0.5
gives generally good results.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 6, 2018, 9:29:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
connomar

Excellent, thanks so much Emmanuel.
[Nov 6, 2018, 3:35:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
connomar

Adding d 0.5 to the MTL material description worked for the normal display, but the Photo Generation in the top two levels still produces opaque glass. Is there another condition needed for the photos?
[Nov 6, 2018, 4:24:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved