Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4546 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
delaing

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Draw (offset) Wall from Existing Wall?

I've searched around and may've missed this since it seems like an everyday procedure.

In an existing area/room with walls, how do I draw a new wall a specific distance from the existing walls of the room?
Say I want to locate a wall 3'-0" from an existing wall (interior corner), how do I do that since it doesn't seem that SH3D allows you to use a temporary anchor point to offset for the first point of the new wall.

Same would go for locating a door opening say 3'-0" from some other existing door or wall or end of cabinet.

What is the usual work around for this non-existent CAD feature when using SH3D?

Thanks in advance,
Delain
[Nov 13, 2018, 9:13:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Draw (offset) Wall from Existing Wall?

Seen the fact that SH3D is not a CAD program, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it doesn't have features you'd expect in a dedicated CAD program.
SH3D is geared primarily towards interior design, while trying to keep the user interface as easy as possible.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 14, 2018, 7:57:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Everyone will have their own way of working, but to get a wall at an accurate offset, I would for instance: select first wall, Ctrl+Shift Move that wall, double-click wall and enter (offset) position manually. However, there are several SH3D interface tools that might be of help.
  • Editing / adjusting wall co-ordinates by editing wall (or furniture) properties (double-click).
  • Using numeric entries for walls and rooms, see this recent video tutorial: How to design rooms from their inner dimensions. It describes rooms/inner dimensions, but the same principle applies to walls.
  • Use numeric entities to create a temporary wall with a length equal to the offset to create an 'anchor' - and delete the temporary wall when second wall is drawn.
  • The Advanced Editing Plugin available from the tools/plugin page will let you move (duplicated) wall(s) a specific distance.
But I guess there are all sorts of ways of doing this. I sometimes create a fake level under my drawing level with walls that can serve as 'anchor' points as a wall/room on a higher level will snap to co-ordinates on lower-level walls. The fake level can be hidden (Ctrl+Shift+H) when not in use, and eventually deleted.
ok
[Nov 14, 2018, 8:57:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
xuhao1991

Can anyone tell me how can you offset a wall from any given point.
[Nov 14, 2018, 9:48:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
delaing

USA

okh
Thank you for your tips and interest in helping.

I thought I had installed the Advanced Editing Plugin which gave me the Join Wall feature, which seems to confirm that the plugin is installed. However, I am not seeing a way to "move" a wall, duplicated or original, as you describe, as an option in the Modify Walls feature. What am I missing or not understanding?

Also, is there a way to confirm that a specific plugin is installed?

Thanks in advance,
Delain
[Nov 17, 2018, 6:01:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd.

Also, is there a way to confirm that a specific plugin is installed?
Thanks in advance,
Delain
Hi,

Under w10 with explorer go into C:\Users\Your_login\AppData\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\plugins

You'll see all installed plugins.

wink
----------------------------------------
only 6.0 and nothing else - W10 64b
[Nov 17, 2018, 7:03:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
delaing

USA

Thanks bdf
[Nov 17, 2018, 7:30:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..not seeing a way to "move" a wall, duplicated or original, as you describe, as an option in the Modify Walls...
If you have the plugin, look for a button between the cameras and help buttons on top. ok
[Nov 18, 2018, 11:12:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
delaing

USA

Thanks for the suggestions; I have the plugin confirmed.
So that my primary question doesn't get lost, here it is again:

1) I am not seeing a way to "move" a wall, duplicated or original, as you describe, as an option in the Modify Walls feature. What am I missing or not understanding?

Along with this:
2) In okh's reply above. . .
I would for instance: select first wall, Ctrl+Shift Move that wall, double-click wall and enter (offset) position manually.

How do you offset the position manually?
Seems you have to know where the object is based off of the original XY home point by what I'm seeing in the Modify Walls dialog? Or not?

Thanks in advance,
Delain
[Nov 18, 2018, 10:46:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

.. offset the position manually? ... have to know where the object is based off of the original XY ...
Sorry if my reply was confusing, but my intention was mostly to highlight that there are several features that can be used and combined. A wise woman once said that the best way to learn how to use software is to study the (keyboard) shortcuts. Assuming I have not misunderstood completely (which may well be), this is one possible way offsetting walls.

Say you want a new, parallel wall offset 150 cm left of an existing wall:
- Select wall, open Modify wall dialogue (Ctrl-Shift-E): insert '+150' (plus 150) after existing X values.
- Press Ctrl-C to copy the moved wall.
- Press Ctrl-Z to (undo) move the original wall back in its original place.
- Press Ctrl-V to paste the copy in the new (offset) position.

A variety could be to Select wall(s and furniture), use the Plugin to move, and use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-V as above.

The latter approach would be better if you want to offset several items at the same time but requires the plugin. Using Move/Copy/Undo/Paste is, of course, not specific to SH3D, but a useful 'cheat' in lots of different software. Note that math formulas (+150) was introduced in SH3D 6.0.

ok
[Nov 19, 2018, 10:01:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved