Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1274 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
grrrlgeek

usa
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Two importing questions

Two questions.

I've made several extra categories in the furniture list. I tried using the furniture library editor, to put a few things in the categories I made, then saved as a new library with a different name. Not one of them went in the categories I had created that I chose in the editor. The categories were already in the list because I had imported several objects into them. Is the furniture library not able to change the category from the one it was already in before I edited it? Was really hoping it would work.

Second: when I import obj files, sometimes it brings the mtl file, sometimes it doesn't. Some obj files already have everything in them already, but most don'I. I tried to put the mtl and obj, and any separate jpg, png, etc. in a zip all together. Sometimes that works, most times not. It does import the mesh, skin, and shading regardless. I don't know enough about 3d editing to add the textures and colors onto them. I tried a few free programs, but the seem too complex just to do this.

Is anything I've written make any sense? Can anybody help with these?
[Nov 18, 2018, 1:57:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
grrrlgeek

usa
Re: Two importing questions

No takers? it's been read over 150 times. Anyone have any inkling?
[Nov 24, 2018, 12:54:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The objects in the catalog are stored by categories and only the category name is used to make the difference from one to the other. Maybe you added some extra space in the name.

About importing OBJ file, please provide some concrete files (or links to them) with which you had some issues. The MTL file is not mandatory and default colors are cited in this document.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 24, 2018, 1:41:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I tried to put the mtl and obj, and any separate jpg, png, etc. in a zip all together. Sometimes that works, most times not.

Please note that the MTL file is referenced from the OBJ file with an address. If, when combining OBJ and MTL in a ZIP file, the (relative) address changes, the OBJ file cannot find the MTL file, and will ignore the date contained in it, resulting in an object without colours and/or textures.

When this happens, check your OBJ file to know the exact address, then either change the address in the OBJ file, or make sure that the MTL file is where the OBJ says it should be.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 24, 2018, 1:57:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
grrrlgeek

usa

The categories are almost all one word, like Animals or Plants. They work fine for importing one by one.The furniture library editor allow me to change the categories of the items in it, so I thought I could put them in those categories, but it ignores any of those changes when imported.

I'll have to experiment and see if any of the obj that didn't grab the mtl were in a different configuration.

Thanks.
[Nov 25, 2018, 5:57:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved