Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1790 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
lurkey

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Keep walls magnetic

Hello,

When I initially create walls with the wall tool, the walls are magnetic to some grid. For me, this is desired behavior for my design. However, if i click on a wall to enlarge or shrink a room, often I will accidentally move the wall in a parallel direction which cause the other attached walls to become angled.

For example, create a perfectly square room with all walls connected. Use the selection tool and click on the left wall. Drag the wall to the left and slightly down. The top and bottom walls will angle themselves to remain connected to the wall you moved.

My expectation would be one of the following:
1) The left wall would be unable to move up or down. Only left or right.
2) There is some key that can be pressed to force the top and bottom walls to remain magnetic to the grid when moving the left wall.
3) There is some key that can be pressed to force the wall to only move left/right.

I am new to this software and am very impresses with its functionality. I've been able to successfully model the main floor of my house within 3 days of downloading it (I used other software in the past). However, this one "feature" would be nice to avoid. Any tips?

Kind Regards,
Lurkey
[Jan 4, 2019, 10:55:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dadv

Re: Keep walls magnetic

I suggest you to use the advanced editing plugin. On it you should find a tool that let you define by keyboard change how to move a wall ( by x y z ).
With that you should not have any bad angles for other walls links.
[Jan 5, 2019, 7:59:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
lurkey

United States
Re: Keep walls magnetic

Hi Dadv,
That plugin would work for the specific example I gave, but it quickly breaks if the room has an angular wall that needs to be moved. I was hoping for a way to restrict the walls movement to a perpendicular direction (while keeping the connected walls to their magnetic angles). All of the walls would have to expand or shrink in order to stay connected and true to their original angles.

If this is not currently possible, I'll see if I can request it as a feature. I'm just wondering if this is already implemented in some way that I have yet to discover.

-Lurkey
[Jan 5, 2019, 3:44:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved