Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7534 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
alphagreydragon

Canada
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Graphic Anomalies

OK, It didn't exactly work. The moment I added more to the building it started developing the glitches again. I made walls 80000mm tall around the building and made it one room. still ran into the problem. I'm starting to think that this program is not up for the needs requirements of the job.
[Feb 14, 2019, 9:36:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alphagreydragon

Canada

OK, interesting development. The PC I've been doing all this work on was a brand new PC put together by our IT department specifically for heavy duty graphics design. it has 16 GB of Ram and a Quadro K620 graphics card as well as a Xeon E3-1245 processor 3.5GHz 64bit windows 10 Enterprise. this is a relatively new PC as I was having sluggish response when rendering and requested a real graphics machine instead of the i7 laptop with 8Gb of ram. it was later discovered that sweet home 3d does not even touch the graphics card and renders only on the CPU. I promptly started getting graphics glitches on the new Xeon processor the more the complexity of the object rendered. It got so frustrating that I pulled out my old i5 laptop (the i7 laptop was returned to IT never to be seen again) and attempted to render all 3 floors of the school I was working on. at the 5000x 2632 highest quality, like the settings on the Xeon, I rendered a glitch free picture of all 3 floors in 3D (it took 15 minutes but worked) so the supposition I have is that Sweet home 3d is incapable of functioning properly with a Xeon processor and isn't able to use a GPU in anything but the most basic (see my pretty picture) way. We have a meeting coming up in the beginning of March to talk about the problems with this program and consider moving to another 3d program.
[Feb 26, 2019, 7:36:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

If you are prepared to deal with SH3D and get informed about this software, you will quickly realize that rendering in the upper quality levels will not affect the GPU.
And believe me, many users with not so powerful video cards are grateful for that!
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Feb 27, 2019, 4:36:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alphagreydragon

Canada

we found out that SH3D doesn't even touch the GPU. everything is done cpu.
[Feb 27, 2019, 5:19:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

we found out that SH3D doesn't even touch the GPU. everything is done cpu.

You do not have to find out, you can read that here on the website and in the forum...
Pascal

[Feb 27, 2019, 6:08:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alphagreydragon

Canada

Unfortunately the Xeon processor does not make friends with SH3D.
Looking at Sketchup and Revit (I lean towards Revit)
[Feb 27, 2019, 6:53:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

And with these programs, you will be helped faster and better when problems arise?
Okay, that's all up to you, but I know that all the levers are set in motion when I have a problem with SH3D. And I know that this is not the case with software like you mention. And that's why I know with which software I will be happy in the future, even if not always all problems can be solved in seconds ...
Pascal

[Feb 27, 2019, 7:16:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sweet Home 3D works well on i7 or Xeon processors (I tried both), but doesn't use the GPU for renderings at the two best quality levels.
alphagreydragon, I'll be happy to read your conclusions about other programs (don't forget to mention their price). At least, I found a solution for your initial problem, but it's too bad you didn't try to arrange any furniture in your plan yet (or show us the results).
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 28, 2019, 10:50:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alphagreydragon

Canada

well at any-rate, the Xeon processor in my tower seems to cause the SH3D to spew graphics glitches where as my i5 laptop puts out smooth clean renders from the same file used on the Xeon. Would love to know wtf was going on but suspect that's not going to happen.
IT was a good run but looks like I have to move on. thanks anyways.
[Feb 28, 2019, 5:50:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alphagreydragon

Canada

There was no furniture and never would be. it was used to generate a 3D image for future HVAC location layout. spit out a png, cut out specific rooms and set small landing pads for RC Studio readouts of temp and airflow etc. The only time I ever used furniture was on small 3 and 4 floor domestic homes. Not too many graphics glitches and most of them can be cut out or covered over. its when we got to the big buildings like hospitals, 19 floor complexes and schools that we started running into massive glitches, (see original post for effects)
[Feb 28, 2019, 9:02:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved