Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 28
Posts: 28   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11014 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Sash openings

Glad you like the look of the window, i am very pleased myself with the it. I have made headway with the sash opening, i have a curve, but it still needs a little tweaking, getting there though. smile
[Apr 6, 2019, 11:39:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Result

Mike. Pats himself on the back... for finally understanding what has been explained. laughing

Thank you OKH, Emmanuel and other posters.
[Apr 7, 2019, 12:17:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

See, the more you have to struggle, the greater the reward. No time wasted at all. Result looks splendid.

Think this could be a very useful addition, especially for UK users.

Pat on the back well deserved.

ok
[Apr 7, 2019, 1:01:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

I really like these doors and windows models, Mike! Hope you will share them.
[Apr 7, 2019, 3:41:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Hi VeroniQ, glad you like them, i am certainly hoping to share them.
Here is what i have so far, hoping to be complete tomorrow.

Mike
[Apr 7, 2019, 11:23:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

OK... an update on progress and a little history of the learning curve for this process.

Initially i could not figure out how to modify any objects, kept reading about this furniture editor thing, downloaded it several times, but couldn't even open and had no idea what a .jar file was. Not sure where i read it in the forum, but a comment was made about it opening with java, so i associated it, voila, it opens.
So i sat there staring at it for a while, thinking, well nothings happening. Then i found this video on youtube, thank you Sean, for the first time ever i managed to create my own sh3f library file, imported into sh3d via Furniture>Import Furniture Library and there they were, available to add to a project, either dragged onto 2d screen or right click on an item and add. At this point i have to say i was pretty damn pleased with myself.
But, the idea of creating these doors and windows was to share them, that being the case i felt that they were incomplete, as the objects showed no sash openings when positioned on the plan, for me personally, this is not an issue, as i only use sh3d for fun, but for others they would be needed to be of any use.
Thats when it got messy. Most of what read on the subject came from this topic
Having located the library files i then had to edit them, following okh's and Hafsteinn's instructructions in the topic as mentioned earlier, i opened the sh3f file, but with a rar programme not a zip programme, that meant an additional rename, not long after i had a desktop full of copies but had achieved very little. went online and found a free piece of software called 7 zip, armed with this software i was able to open the .sh3f file, select the properties file and edit it, no copying, puurfick.
Puybaret and okh had given very precise instructions on what to modify and also what it should look like after editing, had a few minutes to spare so off i went.
I read in this topic the explanations by Puybaret and okh which i followed to the letter, well thought i had.
After copying the following instructions
doorOrWindow#n=true
doorOrWindowWallThickness#n=
doorOrWindowWallDistance#n=
doorOrWindowSashXAxis#n=
doorOrWindowSashYAxis#n=
doorOrWindowSashWidth#n=
doorOrWindowSashStartAngle#n=
doorOrWindowSashEndAngle#n=
I pasted them into one of the door descriptions and proceeded to edit the details that i needed for that item, a door, completely ignoring okh's comment about changing the number which corresponded to the individual item. Well after several attempts at importing it and have nothing happen, i had a rant n rave, walked away, as you do.
Calmed down, came back, started again, re-reading the comments i noticed what i was doing, changed them and was able to add one of my own doors to a project that showed the sash openings, jumped up, kind of, ran around in circles, kind of, then noticed the swing was in totally the wrong place, oh well, i was learning.
I will mention at this point i am having difficulty re-importing the furniture libraries and therefore find i have to close sweethome and reopen it to allow updates to take place.Both double clicking on and re-importing bring up an error message and my library disappears.maybe because i am editing from within the sh3f, dunno. Anyway.
Managed to reposition the swing, copy it to 3 other doors, couple of tweaks for different frame sizes and i was flying along. 4 doors all showing the door swing, but, all were sitting flush with the wall rather than extend beyond it 10 mm to sit flesh with the skirting board. Attempted maybe half a dozen corrections, re-imports etc i decided that Puybaret and okh had no idea what they were chatting about, the software was no good and that the magic black box i call a pc was broken, i had a rant and a ... etc.
Once i had calmed down i noticed a # missing from the line
doorOrWindowWallDistance#n=, i forgive you both smile .
6 near perfect doors achieved, on to the double sash patio door, copied the same lines to a new door copied Puybaret's example for a double sash tweaked for frame width and..... got a double door who's sash openings made it look like dumbo, tried several different configurations still no good, that bloody Puybaret has done me again.... then i noticed a tiny, really insignificant little minus sign, that i had missed Puybaret, you are forgiven.
Flying again
Copied it's details to the other 2 patio doors and patted myself on the back realising just after that one of them is a sliding door, oops.
Windows, applied the same procedure here, copied the lines from door example, tweaked them for the different size frame and window width, loaded one into a project, noticed it needed just a little more tweaking, corrected it, copied those details to the other medium window, didn't save it, moved on to the large widow, copied details from a patio door, tweaked for frame and window size, wonderful, still flying along, saved it and reopened sweethome, selected my library to find it contained just 1 door and 1 window.
That's where i am right now.
Puybaret will hopefully be able to retrieve and correct the library so that it can finally be shared.
I had come close to achieving this myself, but as long as they get shared i am happy ish.
Once shared i really hope a use for them is found.
Mike
[Apr 8, 2019, 12:32:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

smile

Thanks for this tale. Cannot help smiling. I for one, have certainly struggled with many of the same issues.

ok
[Apr 8, 2019, 1:06:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for the story. I'm aware that editing sash values is difficult for a beginner, and a graphical tool would be more handy than editing values with a text editor.
Please, understand that I'm more motivated to improve Sweet Home 3D than the Furniture Library Editor.

Sean's video about the Furniture Library Editor is nice except that editing a SH3F file stored in the folder where libraries are stored isn't a good idea, because it obliges you to relaunch Sweet Home 3D at each change. Importing a modified library stored elsewhere is faster that relaunching Sweet Home 3D and less error prone.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 8, 2019, 3:26:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

The smile from okh was the reaction i was half hoping for when making the last post, i get the impression that it was, unfortunately, taken as being a criticism of the the various software used, that was not my intention, not in the slightest.
My own limited knowledge and knowhow is what i was speaking of, in the hope that with each of my failures listed, would mean that other users could avoid making the same errors.
In a nutshell, me, not reading the comments correctly, me, choosing to ignore them, me, not having a zip prog, me, then making those very same mistakes again, like it didn't sink in the first time.
As far as making making changes the the editor or even there being a need to change it, i have no idea, since i would not know what, how or even if, changes could be made.
I apologise if the nature of the above comments were misunderstood, but i can assure you, it is a misunderstanding.

That said, i have a question, is there a limit to the number of instances that can be created for a sash, i ak because i have created this :-

But i cannot seem to get the last line to show for the middle window.
thx in advance
Mike
[Apr 8, 2019, 5:14:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

@ Mike - You make are doing everything right here! You use the Internet for what it was made for: collecting errors, their solutions, or their evasion. And I envy you for your creativity and your patience...

@Emmanuel - You are doing everything right! You are "just" human like us and even if your commitment to SH3D seems almost endless, it has its limits. And you do not need to justify or apologize for that! And as efficiently as you set the priorities, someone should imitate you first...
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Apr 8, 2019, 6:23:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 28   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved