Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6712 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
jotape1960

Chile
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Installation of the last upgraded version in Ubuntu

I use UbuntuStudio 18.04.2 LTS.

I downloaded the last upgraded version of Sweet Home 3D and I decompressed the file.

Well, I put that folder into the old /home/.eteks folder.

But... In that folder there is the old version, too!

Now... I can use the new version, without any problems.

The question is... Can I erase the old version folder?

If I cannot to erase all... Which files can I erase?

I think this issue wouldn't exist if the new version was into the official Ubuntu repository, but...

JUAN, from Chile, South America.
[Apr 11, 2019, 11:57:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland
Re: Installation of the last upgraded version in Ubuntu

Your SH3D installation should not be in the /home/.eteks folder, this folder is for your personal additional files like furniture you are adding or plugins.
My SH3D installation e.g. is in the usr/share folder and there in a separate folder for each version of SH3D. In this way, I can test the latest version first before I delete the old one.
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Apr 12, 2019, 4:53:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

Your SH3D installation should not be in the /home/.eteks folder, this folder is for your personal additional files like furniture you are adding or plugins.
My SH3D installation e.g. is in the usr/share folder and there in a separate folder for each version of SH3D. In this way, I can test the latest version first before I delete the old one.

I also like to keep several versions around. I use a symbolic link such as Live or Latest to point to the one that desktop users should be using.

I also like keep the install in a filesystem that is separate from the OS (to avoid OS upgrades clobbering anything). Either under /home/local or /usr/local depending on the organisation of the available drives.
[Apr 12, 2019, 11:49:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bkdroid13

Coming soon, Ubuntu 18.04, also known as Bionic Beaver, and the upcoming long-term version of Canonical's famous Linux distribution will be available. This means that it is time to consider how to update to the latest and greatest versions of Ubuntu Linux.

First, keep in mind that this Ubuntu will not look like the latest versions. In fact, Ubuntu returns to GNOME for its default Unity desktop. The difference is not that great, but if you are already comfortable with what you are running, you may want to wait a moment before moving on to the next one.
[Jun 12, 2019, 7:05:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

@bkdroid13 - Ubuntu 18.04 is available for more than a year now => 18.04 means april 2018!
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Jun 12, 2019, 8:43:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bkdroid13

Thanks UbuntuBirdy .
[Jun 14, 2019, 5:53:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved