Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24137 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
pencilart
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Floors/layers/roofs?

Would it be possible to have SweetHome3D support having 2nd floors and roofing by using layers that can be turned off/on with a click on a submenu and show opacity using sliders (as is done in Gimp)?

[Note: this thread was started on sourceforge.net forums]
[Oct 4, 2007, 7:20:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Floors/layers/roofs?

Half transparent layers look like a nice idea to manage floors, but... it's more complicated than that : there should be also some constraints or help to be sure that the exterior walls of an upper floor match the exterior walls of the lower floor.
And for roofs, you have to manage roof angle(s) !

Anyway, if this feature appears in Sweet Home 3D, it won't be available in next version. ;-)

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 4, 2007, 8:49:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pencilart
Advanced Member

Re: Floors/layers/roofs? And more...

I was thinking about the upper floors and I thought of something like a button that says, "add another floor" and it pastes a copy of the first floor in the window and the user can make the changes that they want.

That's kinda the way I made an upper floor for my model house that I was working on.

If you would like to see it:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnart/spst-ParadiseHome-layout.jpg --first floor
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnar...seHome-layout2ndfloor.jpg --2nd floor

Another thing that I was thinking of is the virtual visitor. Would it be possible to control "him" by using the arrow keys? It would make it faster and more fun, like a video game. To control the angle, the user can hold down the "ctrl" button or the shift button while using the up arrow or the down arrow.

Also, can a zoom tool be made to affect the 3D section of the window? Each time I add another part of the house, the 3D view gets too zoomed out. I wanted to add trees to the property and like I said, it made the 3D view way too zoomed out.

I really like SweetHome3D because it's easier for me than Google's Sketchup. Your move/rotate tools are much easier to use and I like the 2D + 3D views.

What program is used to make the furniture? I wanted to get railings for my porch and balcony but I could not find any.

[Oct 7, 2007, 1:02:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Nice try. :-)

> Would it be possible to control "him" by using the arrow keys?

The way to navigate in the 3D view is described in the help page "Editing preferences, plan and 3D view > Editing 3D view". Of course, the 3D view must have the focus if you want that the keys described in that page have an effect,.

In aerial view mode, the 3D view is automatically zoomed out when the house is centered and enlarged to ensure you can see the changes in the 3D view. Read the help page to discover how to zoom in the 3D view. ;-)

> I really like SweetHome3D because it's easier for me than Google's Sketchup

Thank you. User interface was designed to help people (like you probably) who have some difficulties to manage objects directly in a 3D view. Even if people fully understand what they see in a 3D view, most people are more able to work on a 2D plan that on a 3D view.

> What program is used to make the furniture?

I used Art of Illusion available at http://aoi.sourceforge.net/ and exported the furniture with its Export > Wavefront (.obj) feature. Some other people tried successfully Blender but note that in OBJ files created with Blender you should remove the lines starting with a 'o', to be able to import them in Sweet Home 3D.
A contributor created the document http://sweethome3d.sourceforge.net/fr/creerMeubleSweetHome3D.pdf about the creation of objects with Art Of Illusion. It's in French, but there are many screen captures that may guide you even if you don't understand French.
See pages 19 to 22 in that document to see how to add colors to the different parts of a 3D model in OBJ files.

If you want to contribute to Sweet Home 3D, I'll be pleased to add the models you created to http://sweethome3d.sourceforge.net/importModels.html page. You can propose them at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=152568&atid=994777 .

[Oct 7, 2007, 11:44:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry the second paragraph I wrote is incorrect.
Please read :

In aerial view mode, the 3D view is automatically zoomed out *and centered* when the house is enlarged, to ensure you can see the changes in the 3D view.

[Oct 7, 2007, 11:48:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pencilart
Advanced Member

Thanks for your answer. I'm having fun using the arrow keys to move the visitor around and zooming in and out in the aerial view too.

As you might have seen already, I submitted 2 railings for your models page. I don't know if they are good enough so you may edit them as necessary. I don't know yet how to put any texture on them.

[Oct 9, 2007, 11:01:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I added your railings to models page. ;-)
If you want to create some other furniture, don't try to add textures on them. Model textures aren't supported in Sweet Home 3D at this time (but it should in future releases). If necessary, try to add colors from the color list described at http://download.java.net/media/java3d/javadoc...bjectfile/ObjectFile.html . Look this image http://sweethome3d.sourceforge.net/Java3DCubeColorsWithTransparency.png to see how they render

[Oct 10, 2007, 9:03:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pencilart
Advanced Member

Thanks for adding them! I'm glad they could be of use.

[Oct 10, 2007, 9:57:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved