Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 20
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7770 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Guide To Creating A Flat Roof With Cut Outs For Skylights

Thank you Veronique for the tutorial smile
[Apr 15, 2019, 10:45:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Hi Mike,

Thanks, yes it looks like its pretty much the same thing, the article is even in the Tips and Tricks section where I looked!

I guess I did not pick up on it because it only mentioned walls in the title, I did pick up on the later "How To Design A Sloping Ceiling With A Window" I have been aware of that one but it wasn't really what I needed.

I will look at your suggestion for the "liner" not quite sure what the "check the box for the stairs" bit means - if that will somehow autosize the hatch then it would probably be less work.

Somehow I don't feel it was a waste of time, good learning experience and now I have entered the world of levels which I think will give benefits.

I instinctively like the idea of being able to group and organise all the roof stuff in different levels representing different heights, it might be worth checking to see if there are any issues having an additional ground zero level just for the invisible cut out boxes just to keep it tidy.

Yes thanks to Veronique, good article probably more coherent than my attempt as well. I do wonder however if it is possible to edit the Blog whether it might prove useful to add something to the title to include roof as well as walls.
[Apr 16, 2019, 9:50:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Just an update if anyone tries a similar design in future - ie one that is essentially a house with a single floor level but multiple ceiling and roof heights.

What I was trying to do here was to deploy Sweethome 'levels' having a single ground level for the whole building and then have raised levels at different heights to be used as the basis for flat roofs at different heights ( although the roofs were actually floors as far as Sweethome was concerned ).

This all worked fine to a degree.

However each roof "slab" will get the same colour on the underside as on the top face so a dark grey roof will deliver a dark grey ceiling unless the Sweethome "show ceiling" option is used since that will "cover-up" the underside of the roof with a different texture or colour.

I have since discovered that for a given construction on one level it is only possible to have one unique ceiling height whereas I would need three different ceiling heights to cover up my grey roof when seen from below*

I can still achieve everything I currently want simply by prioritising the Sweethome ceiling for the one room where I use a texture (wood slat ceiling) currently - the limitation being that any other ceilings in other areas that also require this texture must be at the same height as the first, other rooms will have the "show ceiling" option false so that the roof slab shows as ceiling.

I will then default the three roofs to white ( the preferred ceiling colour ) and simply change the roof colours back to dark grey for any aerial video or photos - its not a big deal and will take only a few seconds.

I will still require the skylight White liners if I want the skylights to look realistic from above if I have reverted the roofs to dark grey.

Footnote: *I could possibly split my ground level building into several levels all at zero height but I think the pragmatic approach suggested above is easier.
[Apr 16, 2019, 3:36:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

With levels you could, for instance......
Have 3 all at the same elevation but different heights, effectively giving three ceiling heights
A further 3, each with an elevation to match the ceiling below, your roof's.

Taking into consideration one of your other posts, make this 6 or 9 levels with the same floor/ roof set up as the first.
You could now position walls doors windows etc in the 1st, copy them to 2nd and 3rd thereby enabling you to change colours/textures and compare/change them in 3 different homes all in 1 file, no more opening and closing.
File could get very big very quickly so I would advise avoiding things like plants and trees.
May help

Mike
[Apr 16, 2019, 6:39:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Roof's could also have different depth's too
[Apr 16, 2019, 6:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Hi Mike

Thanks, yes as I mentioned in the footnote I could split the ground floor into levels just for the benefit of the ceilings but I am reluctant at this stage to add that level of complication - it might bite me later on sad

There are some consequences to levels, for instance you can only see through one level to the next one below - even if you turn off visibility for '2' - '1' will still not show through in plan view when you are working on level 3. Folks working on mult-storey buildings may not want the visual clutter of x-ray eyes that can see through more than one level below but of course levels do not imply vertical stacking as in my case.

At the moment if I want to make an edit to a roof I have to temporarily lower the containing level to be the lowest of the roof levels so I can see the ground plan below and reference it when for instance I make a roof that needs to overhang the walls by a certain distance etc. I then move the level back up to is correct height.

At the moment I have 4 levels - ground and roofs 1, 2 and 3 so I am tempted to stay with the current complexity at least for a while.

At the moment I am not restricted in what I can do the consequences are simply an extra little task between renderings, photo or video shoots - I am happy to live with a white roof block when merely editing.

None of the "I have to" statements above are moans, once it becomes part of the workflow its just a few key strokes - I think there is a massive difference between a limitation that just means you have to do a little more admin style work and a limitation that stops you achieving a result.

I have to say SweetHome is an amazing tool, today I was doing fine editing removing tiny slivers of wall, simplifying and re-aligning walls - all imperfections my own doing after countless fast edits, pushing a wall here, extending there and generally working fast to get the over-view before focusing on getting everything shipshape. The fact that my model held together, that floors could still be computed automatically is a testament to just how well written this software is.

When I first started this design trip I was proposing to use Solidworks because that was the only tool I had to hand - how naive was I !!! I would have only been able to design a roof wall and ceiling outline the rest would have been possible but just to much work and complication - I really do take my hat off to the Puybarets.

Now having a bit of fun playing with the Advanced video plugin - have you tried it? For fun I am seeing just how far I can get with a GrandDesigns style fly around using only open source tools - I need a break from the real work smile
[Apr 17, 2019, 1:30:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Sorry I shouldn't make assumptions.

Solidworks is a CADCAM package, great for designing high accuracy engineered parts, cars and consumer goods but not really optimised for architectural work.
[Apr 17, 2019, 1:33:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Never tried a video mate, my pc can barely handle renders sad

Not sure why you feel you have to lower a roof to make fine tweaks to position it, would "display all levels" instead of "selected level" be a help?
[Apr 17, 2019, 4:00:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Hi Mike.

It is necessary to lower the roof or rather the level in which it is defined because....

Means I can see level 0 'through the floor' when working on level 1 but if I move up to level 2 to make a change I cannot see level 0 so there I am blind.

So I need to change the relative heights

Now I can see level 0 'through the floor' whilst working on level 2 - I can edit the roof and check it fits relative to whats going on on the ground floor.

It's not a "do once" thing for me - constantly tweaking things and ripple adjustments move out through the building.

The behaviour is documented in the tips section

"How To Design A Split Level House"

Quote: "Unfortunately, Sweet Home 3D draws only walls of the previous level in light grey. Therefore, the shop walls drawn at Level 0 won't appear at Level 2, because its previous level is Level 1 and not Level 0"

The suggested workaround there is to copy 3d objects as markers between floors but I just move my levels up and down - my levels are actually
named according to their elevation so I do not forget and tap in the wrong number when I restore the level to its normal height after the edit.

Its not a hassle for me - just tap in a number before the edit and restore it after.

Its all really just about being able to see the ground floor items when editing the profile of the roof, editing a skylight or similar.

What I am really pleased about is that now I am working this way using dummy floors as ceilings then a tweak only involves an edit to a boundary
whereas before it meant messing around with creating OBJ files and exporting them, repositioning them and so on.
[Apr 17, 2019, 6:00:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Yes Mike the "see through the floor" aspect of the plan view when working on levels does not adjust when levels are made invisible,

I thought it might work that way, that invisible levels would not block the "see through the floor" aspect of the plan but it does not work that way.
[Apr 17, 2019, 6:03:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved