Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2764 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
baldyman

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Missing surfaces on imported models.

I've created a staircase in Blender in which the handrail is an extruded plane.

When I import this into SH3D the handrail has surfaces missing. I've tried DAE and OBJ, the result is exactly the same.

Any idea what causes SH3D to lose surfaces on imported models?

SH3D 6.1 on Linux Mint 19
[Apr 24, 2019, 12:10:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Missing surfaces on imported models.

Try appying a texture to (both sides of) all parts of your model...

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 24, 2019, 12:17:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
baldyman

UK

Hi,
The model imports into ArtOfIllusion OK.
Applying a texture or uniform colour doesn't make the missing surfaces re-appear

On closer examination it doesn't appear to matter what angle I look at the handrail from I can always see the inside of the surfaces, never the outside. So they are there, but the outside surface is not being rendered.
[Apr 24, 2019, 12:53:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
baldyman

UK

If I use "Invert back and front faces" the handrail comes out right but the rest gets scrambled.
[Apr 24, 2019, 1:04:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I once had a strange model that did the same. I solved it by using a double model: once normal, once inside-out, than exported and imported it...

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 24, 2019, 1:29:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MikeJGee

Polen

Hi Baldy,

There are two basic questions on Your Model:
1. What render engine do You use in Blender (mght be also fine to know what Blender Version)
2. You used the extrude for the rail, as a modifier?

Both things will make it uneasy to get the right OBJ (MTLs) out of Blender.

So first rule of thumb: Do not use cycles and here do not use procedural textures, they will not come into OBJ and MTL
Seccond, apply all modifiers, prior to export.
third: Blender has some issues with the MTL creation on Texture pictures. The propriate lines are not included into the mtl.
[Apr 24, 2019, 1:46:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
baldyman

UK

OK, so, if I carve out the handrail using boolean subtraction it comes out right. If I extrude it from a flat shape it comes out back to front.

In blender they look similar but SH3D interprets them differently.

I tried to diff the OBJ files but there were too many differences. I can export just the handrails in each case and compare them. Don't know if the devs would find this useful for future reference?
[Apr 24, 2019, 4:32:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved