Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10119 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
KitchM

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Export to OBJ

Do I understand correctly, that the best format for export to make it importable to other cad programs is to use obj? Will it save all the dimensions and other details as well?
[Aug 5, 2019, 5:28:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK
Re: Export to OBJ

Not quite, Sweethome3D ONLY exports to .obj, paired with a .mtl file, there are a number of online file converters that could enable you to import into other software.
Sweethome3D does allow you to import other file types into SH3D, for a list of these see - Support > 3D Models > Create your 3D models
[Aug 5, 2019, 8:21:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KitchM

Interesting; I thought it also did HTML.

So, when you are saying that a person needs to export to .obj and then use a file converter to create another program's format, does that mean that one also exports the .mtl? And does that mean that the converter must use both the file types in its translation process? How would it know to do so?

Also, I still need to know if the dimensions and other details are transferred to the new format.
[Aug 5, 2019, 10:06:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

The html plug in allows you to export the 3d view, it can then be viewed via a browser remotely.
Never used the online converters.
[Aug 5, 2019, 10:29:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KitchM

I think I get it. Thanks.
[Aug 12, 2019, 7:52:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Forestsun

I think we don't need to reinvent the wheel. I know the simple and useful online file converter here I think more people will use this tool because it really helps. What else services do you know?
[Sep 4, 2020, 9:58:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

I'm getting an error when I attempt to save an .obj file from a furniture item. I'm running MACOS Sonoma and SH3D has full disk access

"Can't create .OBJ file"

Doesn't matter where I save it.

Anybody have an idea of how to fix this please?
[Jan 11, 2024, 10:45:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Did you try to export a simple item like a wall?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 12, 2024, 9:04:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

Hi Emanuel - sorry, didn't see your reply in my notifications. Yes, I've tried saving just a wall, or a cube. It doesn't matter where I save to, even one-drive or an external HD.
[Jan 23, 2024, 1:13:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved