Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7644 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Denis

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
SWT?

Hi,

this screenshot: http://sweethome3d.sourceforge.net/images/SweetHome3DLinux.png
shows SweetHome3D with a GTK-GUI. But when I start the application it just uses this ugly java-GUI (AWT/SWING?)

Is there a way to get the GTK-GUI?

[Note: this thread was started on sourceforge.net forums]
[Mar 2, 2008, 11:20:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Manuel_Garcia_Sanchez

Re: SWT?

Maybe is your version of JRE, at jre 1.5 and 1.6 the GUI is more "native" as you see.

[Mar 4, 2008, 7:19:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Denis

But the JRE comes bundled with SweetHome3D and it is version 1.6.

I'm not only asking this because of the optics but because SweetHome3D is really slow on my computer and I was hoping that another gui would be a bit more faster.

[Mar 4, 2008, 7:54:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Randal_Lovelace

A non-Java GUI would be better... and GTK is well used and much faster. Maybe a request could be put out for a person that knows how to work with GTK to have them recreate Sweet Home to use GTK (and as reference to the use of GTK - GIMP and Blender both use GTK - both also use Python Scripting.)

The use of GTK would also negate the need to manually edit colors as .mtl files could then be included with the .obj files (as the .mtl file is automatically created by most exporters)

[Mar 7, 2008, 11:11:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pencilart
Advanced Member

If a GTK version were made, I hope that the requirements will consider old libraries too. I have GTK 2.8.3 and Python 2.4 and since the software community has moved to requiring GTK 2.10+, etc., I can't get any updates nor new apps.

[Mar 8, 2008, 3:55:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The MVC architecture of Sweet Home 3D allows to replace AWT/Swing by SWT without programming again all its model and its controller. Sweet Home 3D under SWT was even available in its early versions until 0.7 ; please read the end of my message http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=241470#241470 for more information.
But if a Swing application's look and feel isn't correct under some Linux distributions, you should rather complain to Sun than think rewrite it with SWT. Maybe the required changes aren't that big.

> The use of GTK would also negate the need to manually edit colors as .mtl files could then be included with the .obj files (as the .mtl file is automatically created by most exporters)

Lack of support for .mtl files has nothing to do with Java, as Java 3D supports them. Sweet Home 3D should support them in the next version.

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 8, 2008, 7:32:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Vanuan

Here are my (unfinished) efforts to bring SWT version back to life:

https://github.com/Vanuan/sweethome3d/tree/swt
[Jan 12, 2014, 4:09:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved