Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5495 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
MiamiJack

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Not able to get precise wall dimensions

Hello All,

I already read several posts, including this one http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,7644

They don't solve the problem, and it's pretty frustrating of an issue.

I understand I can draw a wall 1 ft, then double click it and tell it the distance between end points, so lets call it 162"
If that wall is a straight all alone wall, great.
I know I can also click once, hit enter and type in the 162... awesome, perfectly clear.

Now 162 is the outside dimension of a solid wall.
Now I draw a wall down from that wall 20", suddenly my original wall is "longer" because the point of measurement is the "center" of the wall (8" walls), when I'm done, the outside dimension is now no longer 162, it's bigger.
Add that up over the legnth of a few rooms and the drawing is no where near precise.

I looked for settings, options and even pluggins ( advanced edit ) and got nothing to help.

I spent a lot of time playing with the app and learning it, but if I can't draw things accurately, I'm gonna have to learn something else.

It's almost like I need to move the legnth reference to the outside wall and not the middle of the wall since I can
't measure the middle.

Any suggestions?

( yes I have watched a few youtube videos with no luck )

Thanks!
[Nov 9, 2019, 4:09:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Not able to get precise wall dimensions

This has been discussed on and off over the last ten years that I'm a member of this forum. If there was a better solution than the current one, until now, no one has been able to suggest it.

You can
a - draw the room first and then double-click it to construct the walls around it, or
b - do the math to add the wall thickness to your wall lengths.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 9, 2019, 10:09:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MiamiJack

Thanks for the response...
I'll give that method a try, I don't remember if that worked in a quick experiment, but will try again.
[Nov 10, 2019, 11:30:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Dorin has just written this "mini-tip" .
[Nov 11, 2019, 12:00:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MiamiJack

Hello All,

Has this improved with the last few updates?
[Jan 29, 2021, 5:43:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

I just make a rough room shape or wall first. Then I drag the corners and on screen it shows you the inner wall dimensions as you do this. If you zoom in enough it can be as precise as 1/8” accuracy. I’m not sure what the metric system precision is if you use that. The drag precision works with room floor shapes and dimensions too. I never use the wall modify properties except to alter the wall thickness or height that I need. I don’t use that to set a length.
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Jan 29, 2021, 5:59:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Also what’s cool is you can split a wall. It adds point in each segment you split. You can then drag to make new corner or angle shapes for an irregular room shape you didn’t account for at first. You can add points to floors to alter its shape too. This feature is great when you need to make alterations after the fact.
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Jan 29, 2021, 6:04:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved