Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2705 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Cactus

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sloping walls and multiple ceiling heights

Hi!

I'm trying to divide my house, with its classing pointy roof, into some rooms having different ceilings: some will be sloping, and others not.

From outside it looks easier to get:

On the inside I'l have bedrooms with sloping ceilings from 2m40 to 4m80, then a corridor with a standard flat ceiling at 2m40, then other rooms with sloping ceilings from an unknown height back to 2m40.

On the plan it looks OK. My exterior walls are sloping fine. But I have some issues:
1- The sloping wall that divides the two bedrooms shows gaps when meeting the ceiling.
2- I don't know how to make the other room (the blue one) right, with the correct sloping walls, start height and end height.
3- The corridor has a sloping ceiling

About the 2nd point, I guess (according to this topic : http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,2054#25829) that I have to calculate it myself or to use a "help wall" as suggested by macfrog.
So even without a keyboard shortcut, there is no way to tell a wall to "be the same height as this sloping wall you're joining, at the point you join it" ?

For the 1st point, even if I did the calculation wrong, shouldn't the ceiling join the walls? How comes I see a thin ray of sky?

And finally for the 3rd point, I just don't know how to do. That's what it looks like on hansmex's drawing:

The corridor is sharing a wall with the rooms beside, but its ceiling is not the same height. Is it possible to define the height of a room' ceiling without having it being attache to the walls? Or have a wall sloping not only from start to end but also (or instead) from right to left?
I'm thinking about making my walls thinner and double them but I don't know yet if it will work fine and I'd appreciate if there is an easier solution.
[Feb 12, 2020, 2:51:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Sloping walls and multiple ceiling heights

If you send me your design, I will look at it, and try to find a solution.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 12, 2020, 6:11:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cactus

Re: Sloping walls and multiple ceiling heights

That would be great!
http://www.kipik.eu/sweethome3d/slopings.sh3d

For point 2, I used your formula, even without "support wall" it's not that complicated actually (at least for a small plan like mine), thanks (O:

For the rest I simplified my design and recorded some view points so that it's easier to spot.

For point 1 and the ceiling gaps, I think I understand why it happens : walls are connected by their center. Thus a sloping wall perpendicular to a normal wall has, at the connection point, the same height than the normal wall. But on one side, it goes lower wile the other side is higher... So I guess the ceiling can't connect everywhere. I've set an "Example" point of view where it's clear.

And for the 3rd point, I tried the idea of the double thin walls but it's very complicated, especially with the walls connection points.
So I put a simple box the same size as the corridor, with the appropriate elevation, which acts as a ceiling. It's not the most convenient as I need to make it not visible most of the time to move my furniture and visible only when I want to make a 3D view, but it works (O:
[Feb 13, 2020, 3:51:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved