Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 30676 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
SixOfSpades

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
The Stroppy Ox

I wanted to make a fantasy / medieval-type inn, and the ones I've seen online (almost always in D&D battlemap format) failed to impress me with their realism. So I decided to see what I could do to improve on that.

WELCOME to the Stroppy Ox!

https://i.imgur.com/4TNeZrM.jpg

Exterior daylight shots, from south-southwest (ground level)
and northeast (high).

https://i.imgur.com/iN2LovZ.jpg

Approach at dusk, from the south and just off the porch.
[Apr 20, 2020, 3:51:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SixOfSpades

United States
Re: The Stroppy Ox

Okay, let's see if I can use the forum correctly this time. I understand that pictures work better if people can actually SEE them. Anyway, if you want to read all of the in-character text I created to give the inn more atmosphere, the full post is here: https://imgur.com/gallery/szzGAaw

But if you just want to see the images with some very brief descriptions, just scroll down. Let's get this do-over started!
This post is going to cover everything on the ground floor.

Exterior daylight shots, from south-southwest (ground level)
and northeast (high).

Approach at dusk, from the south
and just off the porch.

The floor plan (slightly modified to include 5' grid lines, just ignore them if you like) for the ground floor. Now for all the pictures that were taken on this level.

Entering the lobby.

In the lobby, looking into the office / reception desk.

A visitor's first view of the tavern.

The kennel, both in the day
and at night.

The stable (main)
and its feed & tack room.

An overhead shot of the feed & tack room and the ostler's room
and inside the ostler's room.

Two views of the scullery.

There's actually a lot going on in the scullery, requiring four angles to get it all.

The bar, with a view of part of the tavern.

The kitchen also requires four images.

More kitchen (including the delivery door in the north wall) . . .

The staff dining room, plus a last shot of the kitchen.

The cook's bedroom and de facto office.

An overhead shot of the maids' rooms
and the interior of the middle one.

Two shots of the innkeeper's bedroom.

The innkeeper's desk, showing the hotel safe and a model of the Stroppy Ox.

Two shots of the inn's lavatories, there's one on each of the main floors.

A collage of some tavern games (and the chest where they're stored)
and now we're heading upstairs.
[Apr 20, 2020, 11:35:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SixOfSpades

United States

And this post will cover everything on the second floor (first floor for Europeans), starting with its floor plan:

Again, feel free to ignore the extraneous grid lines.

Room 1 is a medium-price bedroom at the inn; it is unique in that it has a connecting door to Room 2--and, as a consequence of that, a table & an unusually nice rug.

Room 2 is (slightly) the smallest of the inn's three luxury bedrooms.

Room 5 is one of the inn's two cheapest bedrooms, with multiple people sharing the room.

Room 6 is another mid-range bedroom, and it too has a connecting door--this one to the lounge.

The lounge, where guests can hang out but still be removed from the bustle of the actual tavern.

Room 7 is the Bridal Suite, the most luxurious room in the inn, and so large that it requires four pictures to get it all. This is the "parlor" area . . .

. . . and the "bedroom" area.

Rooms 8, 9, & 10 share connecting doors between them, to better accommodate large families with children. Room 8 features a crib for babies / toddlers . . .

Room 9 has a cradle & changing table for infants . . .

And Room 10 replaces the regular bed with a bunk bed, and has some simple toys & games for children.

Room 12 is the inn's third luxury bedroom.

One of the three curtained-off tubs in the Bathing room, and the hand-powered water pump & grate for heating said water.

The bathing tubs have no drains of their own, & must be bailed out into the drain in the corner of the room.

Just outside the bathing room, looking out over the tavern in the direction of the lounge and lobby.

The storage room has no lighting of its own, you'll have to use the lantern. Here is the (very steep) stairway up to the roof, which is where we're going next.
[Apr 21, 2020, 12:12:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SixOfSpades

United States

There isn't much to say about the roof levels, but I'm trying to be comprehensive.

The top of the stairs opens out at the brown trapdoor just north of the clothesline.

The roof has a very shallow slope, but even so it's prudent to include a safety railing.

A look through the window down at the tavern, showing how it looks with natural daylight alone.

And that takes us back down to ground level.

Just inside the inn's delivery doors is a trapdoor. When it's down, it allows easy passage between the kitchen & scullery.
And when it's raised, it gives the kitchen and delivery doors access to the ramp that leads down to the cellar.

The floor plan, including the inn's plumbing system.

Two interior shots of the cellar, showing containers of various foodstuffs & beverages used in the inn's kitchen and bar.

Sacks of oats, flour, & beans, crates of lettuce, peppers, & salt pork, barrels of potatoes, turnips, & onions, casks of beer, extra firewood, a wheel of cheese, it's all here.

The underground section of the plumbing, showing both the well-pipes (colored turquoise) leading up to the water pumps in the scullery & bathing-room, the drains (copper pipes) leading down from said rooms, and the septic tank underneath the two lavatories. Who says I don't know how to end a tour on a high note?

And THAT'S my inn! Does anyone have questions? All feedback will be appreciated.
[Apr 21, 2020, 12:34:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Wonderful! what a entreprise! Some renderings are beautiful and I love many details. Congratulations!!
[Apr 21, 2020, 10:24:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Only one question: when can I check in?
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Apr 21, 2020, 11:37:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SixOfSpades

United States

Hey, thanks, guys! I put a lot of work into it, and it's good to get some recognition.

Only one question: when can I check in?

At any point in the 12th through 16th centuries. biggrin
[Apr 21, 2020, 11:19:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

At any point in the 12th through 16th centuries. biggrin

Cool, I'm looking forward to it! Especially on the antique liquid soap... tongue

That would be incredibly cool to spend the night at a medieval festival!
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Apr 22, 2020, 8:15:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SixOfSpades

United States

Cool, I'm looking forward to it! Especially on the antique liquid soap... tongue

Yes, unfortunately there are a few glaring anachronisms, such as the electric clothes iron, Cook's mechanical pencil, the modern basketball & soccer ball for dog toys, etc. I did "construct" as much period-accurate (or at least period-looking) furniture as I could, but for some things I pretty much had no choice but to use the modern option, and encourage the viewer to mentally substitute the historically-accurate replacement.

I did get a sense of satisfaction from cobbling furniture out of other furniture. For instance, each of the sinks in the scullery is made out of 2 sinks, 2 shelves, 2 paintings, and a jacuzzi. My straight candlesticks are made from 2 lamps & a candle ornament. The doggy dishes are made of a potted plant, a plate, & a swimming pool. I enjoy overcoming challenges by thinking outside the box. smile

Does anyone know why the thread is listing my "everything on the second floor" post twice? Should I delete the duplicate?
[Apr 22, 2020, 6:11:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@SixOfSpades
Does anyone know why the thread is listing my "everything on the second floor" post twice? Should I delete the duplicate?
Your post had to be inadvertently published in duplicate but you can still delete it 1 day after its publication otherwise you have to ask the moderator.

I love the chiaroscuro (semi-darkness) atmosphere of candlelight! smile
To simulate indoor daylight, you can use light spheres or light panels.

[Note from moderator: removed the duplicated post]
EnkoNyito
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Apr 23, 2020, 3:15:43 PM]
[Apr 23, 2020, 3:40:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved