Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11900 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
MathiasMUC

Deutschland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2D view is very slow / lagging up to 1s

Dear SH3D community,
I really hope you can help as after hours I'm not able to solve the problem by myself. sad

Problem:
- 2D view is strongly lagging (0.5 - 1 second delay)

Other observations:
- 3D view works fluent like a charm
- SH3D consumes 1.2 GB of RAM (the sh3d-file is only 1.25 MB)

Sweet Home 3D:
- Sweet Home 3D from Microsoft Store
- v6.4.3, Java v1.8.0_202 64bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.1

Computer:
- Lenovo P50, Intel Xeon E3-1505M@2.8 GHz, 40 GB RAM, 4k Display
- NVIDIA Quadro M2000M, Intel HD Graphics P530
- Windows 10 Pro x64

Tried options (not succesful):
- Installed newest JRE (no impact)
- Started JavaWeb-Version (better but not smooth to enjoy work with)
- Reinstalled newest graphics driver (no impact)
- Tried CPU graphics card only and NVIDIA only (no impact)

Any help to narrow down the problem is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Mathias
[Dec 3, 2020, 10:28:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MathiasMUC

Deutschland
Re: 2D view is very slow / lagging up to 1s

Additional information / tries to narrow down the issue:

1) I tried it with another computer --> no major improvement.
[I tried to link a snapshot picture to mediafire and imgbb but both didn't work here]
2) I exchanged the floor texture with colors --> major improvement
[I tried to link a snapshot picture to mediafire and imgbb but both didn't work here]

3) I fully zoomed out that I only have one axis to scroll (in this case up/down) --> improvement with texture in only one scroll dimension.

4) Scaling of the texture from 300% back to 100% --> no impact.
5) Changing to another (simpler) looking texture --> no impact.
6) Hiding the floor --> major improvement

It seems that the texture processing / rendering in the 2d view is the problem. Especially in two dimension scroll what you usually do with a mouse (e.g. diagonal).

Interestingly the 3d view is perfectly smooth with all textures in it.
How does the 2d texture processing / rendering works? Is it maybe without hardware support? Is it possible to change it / improve it?
[Dec 5, 2020, 8:07:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MathiasMUC

Deutschland

Additional information / tries to narrow down the issue [2]:

7) Installed the SH3D v6.4.2 32bit version --> no impact.
Source of idea: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,7640_offset,80

8) Installed an old verison of SH3D: v4.6 with java version 1.6.0_45, 64bit. --> Major impact. It's smooth! (But not recommendable due to the old SH3D version-)
Source of idea: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,7640_offset,80
8.1) It seems that something in the new version is the issue. Either SH3D or Java. Is it possible to use another Java for the Microsoft Store version?

9) Also, the issue is very much related to bug 854.
https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/bugs/854/
There is also a video linked which is analog to my issue. In addition:
9.1) This is issue is not limited to 4k screens. I tried it with computer with normal hd screen (1920px).
9.2) This is issue is not limited to Linux as I'm using Windows.

10) Just for information: Is is unlikely that another driver / a driver conflict on the computer leads to this issue as suggested in http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,10415 (Totally unusable (Microsoft Store Version)) as I tried it on two very different computers.
[Dec 5, 2020, 9:02:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MathiasMUC

Deutschland

Sorry for the many posts. I really want to support the issue resolution as I appreciate the potential of SH3D very much and would like to use it properly.

I think I could narrow down the issue to the settings / the used version of Java.

I installed several SH3D windows executable files from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/files/SweetHome3D/

- SH3D v6.4.3 (from Microsoft Store), Java v1.8.0_202 64bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.1 -> Issue with 2d view.
- SH3D v6.1, Java Version 1.8.0_202 - 64 bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.1 -> Issue with 2d view.
- SH3D v5.7, Java Version 1.8.0_162 - 64 bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.0 -> Issue with 2d view.
- SH3D v5.5.2, Java Version 1.8.0_144 - 64 bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.0 -> Issue with 2d view.
- SH3D v5.5a, Java Version 1.8.0_144 - 64 bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.0 -> Issue with 2d view.
- SH3D v5.4, Java Version 1.6.0_51 - 64 bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.0 -> NO issue.

- SH3D v4.6, Java Version 1.6.0_45 - 64 bit -> NO issue.

The issue starts with SH3D v5.5a. There was a jump from Java 1.6 to Java 1.8.

Keeping the earlier findings in mind, it seems that there is an issue with SH3D/Java to efficiently render textures in the 2D view starting with SH3D v5.5a until now v6.4.3.

A) What would you suggest to do now to proof / fix / mitigate this issue?
B) Is it possible to use the newest SH3D executable Windows version with the right Java settings / Java version? How does it work? (short term solution)
C) Is it possible to integrate "better" Java settings / Java version into the Microsoft store version as I bought this one and would like to use it? (long term solution)
[Dec 5, 2020, 9:39:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Your comments make me think you may have used a very large image as texture for some floors. Did you check how the demos in the gallery behave?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 6, 2020, 9:41:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gildaniel
Advanced Member

Russia

I also experience problem with 2d handling when use large room textured (like football field textures with grass).
It seems to me the large is my field - the slow 2d.
I often think why pattern could'n be used without memory devouring :((
[Dec 9, 2020, 12:58:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MathiasMUC

Deutschland

Dear Puybaret, Gildaniel,
thank you for your replies and hint that I can further narrow down the issue.

I tested three SH3D versions
A) SH3D v6.4.3 (from MS Store), Java v1.8.0_202 64bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.1
B) SH3D v5.5a, Java Version 1.8.0_144 - 64 bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.0
C) SH3D v5.4, Java Version 1.6.0_51 - 64 bit, Java 3D Version 1.6.0
with two demos
1) userGuideExample.sh3d
2) SweetHome3DExample13-AlpsHotel.sh3d

Outcome of the combinations:
A1: 2d view is lagging approx. 0.2 seconds sad
A2: 2d view is lagging approx. 1.5 seconds crying
B1: 2d view is lagging approx. 0.2 seconds sad
B2: 2d view is lagging approx. 1.5 seconds crying
C1: 2d view is NOT lagging - it works smooth smile
C2: 2d view is NOT lagging - it works smooth smile

The issue starts with SH3D v5.5a. There was a jump from Java 1.6 to Java 1.8. It seems that there is an issue with SH3D/Java to efficiently render textures in the 2D view starting with SH3D v5.5a until now v6.4.3.
Any thoughts on how we can overcome or more narrow down this issue are highly appreciated?
[Dec 10, 2020, 10:06:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
zoubidoo

United Kingdom

I can confirm this issue. I have lag of 2-3 seconds when trying to draw a wall. Therefore SweetHome3D is currently unusable for me.

SweetHome3D 6.4 (jar)

java version "1.8.0_201"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_201-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.201-b09, mixed mode)

Not using any floor textures.
[Jan 26, 2021, 9:44:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vadimg

United Kingdom

I have the same issue. I even tried SH3D v4.6-portable with Java1.6 and the same issue is there.

However, I think it is bound to the high monitor resolution (and some inefficient rendering logic used in SH3D).
I have an old PC Win10 with 1280x800 resolution and SH3D works smoothly on it.
On my standard PC Win10 with 4K display - it is unusable.

However, I found that if I switch "Room rendering in plan" to be "Monochrome" (in File/Preferences menu) - it starts working smoothly. So I consider this as a workaround.
[Nov 7, 2021, 12:03:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SeaBee63

France
confused Re: 2D view is very slow / lagging up to 1s

Note that contrary to you:
Interestingly the 3d view is perfectly smooth with all textures in it.
On my system (Ryzen 3 5800X/32GB/RTX 2060/Winddows 10 Pro/SweetHome3D 6.6a), the visitor 3D view was heavily lagging too (had to make very small incremental movements with the mouse) UNTIL I switched plan room rendering to monochrome !
However, this doesn't change anything to the visitor 3D view rendering (except that the lagging disappear) !!!
This is really puzzling to me, but I will use it as a workaround.
[Mar 4, 2022, 11:06:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved