Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 248
Posts: 248   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 631373 times and has 247 replies Next Thread
Wiebenor

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Generate roof plugin

Ugh... I got the button to ungrey, by selecting my building, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Now, are we supposed to select the walls, or the "room" that outlines the entire building? I've been selecting the "room" but IDK why it won't even appear to do a single thing, if that's what you are supposed to use to activate the roof plugin.
[Feb 12, 2022, 9:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gildaniel
Advanced Member

Russia

You need to draw big room around your external walls, which is your future roof projection. Then select this room and use plugin
[Feb 12, 2022, 1:52:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gildaniel
Advanced Member

Russia

Fast making precise roof overhang projection with help of walls thikness method:

1. Draw your walls
2. Сhoose "room" and dobleclick on external walls there are room creating with the same contour.
3. Then you can change wall thickness in Parameters, to specify roof overhang, if needed.
4. Choose "walls" and doubleclick on the room - SH creates second walls contour
5. Choose "room" once again and doubleclick on new walls contour - now you have room projection; just delete outer walls to see it

Here is video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwt3G-8FMyE
[Feb 13, 2022, 5:21:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Fast making precise roof overhang projection

Use AutoDimensioning plugin
where I've include this feature.
just delete outer walls to see it

Use Select Hide Utility plugin for selections.

I steel work at a new version of Roof Generator.
Meanwhile try to avoid collinear lines on Your roof projection.
Will fail like in Gildaniel video.
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 13, 2022, 8:30:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gildaniel
Advanced Member

Russia

Use AutoDimensioning plugin
where I've include this feature.

Use Select Hide Utility plugin for selections.

Very usefull plugins, Dorin, how I could miss them!

Are you planning in your roof plugin some method to check sides of projection to be opened roof?

Like here

[Feb 14, 2022, 8:57:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Gildaniel
Also You don't have last version of Multiplier plugin

@Gildaniel,@crackwood01 and others
1. I want to thank You all to test it!
2. I'm not a programmer!
Emmanuel, Tobias, Enko, the new coming Daniels118 and others are REAL PROGRAMMERS. I'm only a fake.
3. I like Your proposed roofs but, even could appear simple, are not so with out a lot of user interactions.
Maybe someday, somebody (younger) will program this.
4. At that moment we have almost nothing decent usable and this task appear to be a nut too hard for my teeth.
5. Along others I try to solve problem with:
- co-planar planes
- rounded parts which have a center
- compute point order of roof faces polygons
6. Don't expect too much from me.
7. Maybe to beg Daniels118 to translate Polyskel library from python to java 1.8
8. When and IF we will have an usable roof generator I hope to can modify it in preview window.
9. From ~40 model of generic roofs I reduce to ~8 from I chose hipped roof which I think could be made from few clicks.
10. Don't ever expect to made in the same way La Sagrada Familia
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
[Feb 14, 2022, 7:49:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wiebenor

United States

You need to draw big room around your external walls, which is your future roof projection. Then select this room and use plugin

sooo... i'm just selecting the interior room when i shouldn't be? if i then make a room that extends outside the building, it should work?
i'll upload a picture of what i have so far, so you can see if you can spot any glaring problems, aside from the obvious need for an external sized room

not sure how to upload photos here exactly so ill link to it, as well as try to use the image linker system used here, so sorry if theres more than 1 copy

[img]https://i.ibb.co/yYLY8Ds/vaca-hires.png[/img]

hopefully one of those worked, but we'll see. bottom of picture is front, unfinished works of a playground is on the right
[Feb 15, 2022, 12:47:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wiebenor

United States

so... i did the making a bigger room method of creating a roof, but it still doesn't bring up any roof building menu, like i understand the plugin should
[Feb 15, 2022, 1:01:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

The plugin work in this order:
1. Select 1 or more rooms. If are more only first will be computed.
2. Menu->Tool->Generate roof...
Recommendation 1: try on a test file, eventually with file provided on this page.
Recommendation 2: install AutoDimensioning plugin, read instructions , and, if You have some walls, will generate roof projection for that walls.

NOTE 1: If roof are not generated correctly, try to modify a little bit the foot print to avoid some edges to be collinear.
NOTE 2: Even so will not work all the time!

PS: I've try to reproduce Your building and with v.1.0 work!
Verify in Help->About Your installed version.
The result are not total correct (some faces) but it work.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by dorin at Feb 15, 2022, 7:00:49 AM]
[Feb 15, 2022, 6:37:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

Hi Dorin,
you're doing a great work with this plugin. About the polyskel algorithm, there is an excellent Java implementation which also have an interesting feature that could be used to build roofs opened on one side as the one asked by Gildaniel. You can see the code in action here.
[Feb 15, 2022, 6:38:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 248   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved