Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6907 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
sjb007
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
An challenge, an exercise, achance to show off your creativity?

I see people often post fantasy buildings, or buildings that have almost no constraints on huge plots. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a challenge of a real existing building/project in need of total modernisation with a whole set of really tough constraints. I'm curious to see if people have novel ideas. No pretty renders or anything, this is more about meeting the brief when the building is fighting back.

To be clear I took on an architect with a full brief, drew up proposed plans, and got knocked back by planning. I've since adjusted the plans in SH3D, although I still need to resubmit at some point.

I think it would be better to not show my proposed plans at first, just the brief and existing plans as a SH3D model. Once you see a design it can be hard not to end up replicating it. Although... maybe people would need some ideas?

Interesting idea?
[Feb 8, 2022, 10:49:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

angry Re: An challenge, an exercise, achance to show off your creativity?

Why do I always spot the typos (in the title no less) after I post?
[Feb 8, 2022, 10:50:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
coldcomfort

Re: An challenge, an exercise, achance to show off your creativity?

I always felt that this space is missing some sort of game or competition considering the ease of use and nature of the software.
A challenge like this, with real constrains (and codes to follow?) sounds like a fun thing to lively up the forum a bit.
[Feb 13, 2022, 1:32:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upsetter21

USA
Re: An challenge, an exercise, achance to show off your creativity?

Ah yes, I believe I may fall in this category, and my projects are taking place in "the real world"!

I look forward to sharing my experience and progress:)

I grew up on the Commodore computer platforms: Vic 20, C64, Amiga 1000, 2000, and 1200...

Boy I miss those awesome computers!

My trade is Electrician. Though, I used to do some basic 3D modeling on The Amiga, I also played with everything else the platform offered, ie- music, games, online communications, etc.

Much older now, I am getting back in the game and SweetHome 3d realy has become my first foothold in 3D design, creation, and planning. The learning curve was much more slight than say, Blender, InkScape, and LibreCAD.

So far, I have used SH3D to design a kitchen extension in my farm home in Michigan, USA. It worked great! I was able to fit a whole cabinet design quite easily:)... A real floor plan of a real building:)

Now, I am working on two more real buildings located in Manistee, MI USA. As I mentioned in another thread, one is a very early automobile service station currently known as The Chippewa Auto Sales building. The second property is actually registered historic, as it was once the Michigan Bell Switch Operators' building.

My first task is to design modern electrical wiring in both buildings. I'm performing the in SH3D and will do so in compliance with the real world, physical limmitations and building codes.

I have used Hover (a very useful tool!!!) to get an initial digitization of both buildings using digital photography and LIDAR data. I will share the results soon here.

I've also created floor plans for both locations by measuring by hand and entering in SH3D.

To those interested, please stay tuned!

I love sharing, and I really hope to provide information to anyone learning about design, planning, and building.

For those here that are interested in the diceplines of Architecture, I recommend looking at the beautiful and historically significant city of Manistee! It is a quaint beach town on Lake Michigan. At one time it was the wealthiest city of Michigan. Mostly due to lumber barons that deforested the area and used the river access to export wood to all around the world. As a result there is quite prominent Victorian architecture all around the town... simply beautiful buildings!

I am a part of an effort to preserve this heritage.

To those abroad I encourage you to take a look at this town, and maybe consider visiting. There is a historic walk to observe the mansions throughout the district. One could do it virtually to some degree on Google Street View.

For those looking to travel, I would say it's a wonderful place to visit if you wish to vacation in a place were you can experience solitude. There are times of year wear the fine sandy beaches are all to your own and the water is more blue than Hawaii:)

Cheers to all:)
[Jan 26, 2023, 5:46:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved