Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1622 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
shellie222

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Precision

Is there a way to prevent rounding numbers?
e.g. I need a wall to be 3.135m long and following adjacent positions are getting rounded which leads to wrong dimensions.

What can I do? Changing to mm didnt work - the rounding happens nevertheless
[Mar 30, 2022, 9:47:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Precision

I'm not 100% sure to understand your issue, but it seems to happen because you didn't get that walls length are measured in their middle, not along their sides. When a wall is bound to another one to form a corner, this can can lead to a longer or shorter length along wall sides. Therefore, it's not a problem of precision and you should take take into account the wall thickness.
The video How to design rooms from their inner dimensions might help you too.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 30, 2022, 3:31:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shellie222

no it does not seem so.
e.g.

wall 1: (0m, 0m) to (1m, 0m) 0.32m thick
wall 2: (0m, 1.9825m) to (1m, , 1.9825m) 0.175m thick

the value 1.9825m already gets truncated to 1.982

The dimension between them is: 1.73m where 1,735 would be correct
[Mar 30, 2022, 4:47:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Decimals smaller than a millimeter are not displayed in the user interface, but they are actually stored in the number. Note also that the precision in dimension lines created with the mouse depends on the current zoom factor in the plan, simply because of pixel precision. As explained in the help, press <enter> and type the exact length while drawing it if you want more precision without zooming in.
Anyway, keep in mind that in building domain, tolerances are quite high so you shouldn't bother with higher precision.
[Mar 30, 2022, 6:00:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shellie222

Mh, but when I input them into the text input field the last digits are deleted. That does not really look like it was stored my guess is it is not even considered.

Obviously the values are way too marginal to be real life values.
But as I said the results based on them (e.g. the distance between those walls) are wrong.
And in this case its an error >1mm.

The way it affects me is more an optical thing since the calculated values do not fit to the original (analogous) blueprint anymore
[Mar 31, 2022, 9:01:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Trust me, I'm the programmer of Sweet Home 3D and know how text fields handle numbers.
And if you still don't want to trust me, you can check yourself by reading the values in the Home.xml entry contained in each SH3D file (a SH3D file is actually a ZIP file).
[Mar 31, 2022, 9:48:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shellie222

ok, after I worked around the other problem (thread 11700) I'll believe you.

<wall id='wall-608b4e00-8fde-4b81-a288-7f06f1a7f87d' xStart='0.0' yStart='0.0' xEnd='100.0' yEnd='0.0' height='243.84' thickness='32.0' pattern='hatchUp'/>
<wall id='wall-abaa7af6-8b53-4bd1-9c41-ab68d615dc2d' xStart='0.0' yStart='198.25' xEnd='100.0' yEnd='198.25' height='243.84' thickness='17.5' pattern='hatchUp'/>
<dimensionLine id='dimensionLine-3a71733a-4e90-49d9-a1d9-7c74fd8af7e3' xStart='43.5' yStart='15.560181' xEnd='43.5' yEnd='189.56018' offset='0.0'/>

one can indeed see yEnd='198.25'

So Ill have to suggest that the input field actually displays the values which are actually used.

But I cant figure out how to get the dimensions "expanded" - even farthest zoomed in it is 1.74.

It would be nice to have a precision setting in the settings menu or similar
[Apr 6, 2022, 6:50:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shellie222

Note also that the precision in dimension lines created with the mouse depends on the current zoom factor in the plan, simply because of pixel precision.

Could you tell me how I can get the actual dimensions without rounding/truncation of values then?
[Apr 21, 2022, 9:07:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Zoom in at the maximum or enter the length with the keyboard (see help for more details).
[Apr 21, 2022, 9:25:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved