Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2379 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
tylla

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Transparency value in color selector

I would like to request a transparency value in the color selector dialogue.
As a rationale there are lots of places where it would be really useful:
- create colored objects with translucency/transparency without the cumbersome object export/import procedure
- create transparent walls which are independent of the global wall transparency setting
As I read there are some feature requests, wishes for transparent walls, transparent objects, but this global approach would solve all these.
If there are any questions that are unclear, I'm really happy to clear those up.

Anyway thanks for this super nice program, and for your time dedicated to creating/supporting it.
[Aug 24, 2022, 11:09:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy
Re: Transparency value in color selector

That would be very nice!

However I have 2 workarounds for you:
- you can use transparent textures to create transparent colors for furniture; it's a bit annoying because you have to create a different texture for each color/transparency level you need, but at least it works.
- transparent textures doesn't work by default on walls in the 3D view, however there is a trick: just set a very small wall transparency in the 3D view settings, this way texture transparency gets enabled, and other walls will appear almost opaque. You can also shape the textures to obtain special cutouts (however the inner sides will be missing). The transparent textures works by default while rendering, so there is no need to change the wall transparency (moreover it is ignored).
[Aug 25, 2022, 9:32:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Can I revive this wish? It's annoying to always have to edit the mtl file to change transparency. Even worse, you have to re-import the object before the transparency change is visible and you have to do it again with the next transparency change.
If I want to allow the user to switch between transparent glass and a solid color I have to create a copy of the solid object with one with transparency and place both at the same position. Then the user has to make one of them invisible to switch between them. Simply being able to set a tranparency between 0.00 and 1.00 would remove the need for using double objects making the end product smaller as a bonus to the easier handling. Using textures is not a valid alternative for this.
[Nov 21, 2023, 9:43:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I don't plan to program this feature and even removed the transparency setting in color dialog box. Why? Because when you start to use transparency on many objects, the 3D view doesn't work so well because some kind of z-fighting between transparent surfaces close to each other appears. You surely experienced this behavior when you use existing wall transparency and rotate the home. If it happens more often, this will end by endless bug fix requests.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 21, 2023, 10:21:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tylla

While I perfectly understand you about not wanting to make changes that would lead to massive user complaints, can we possibly have this feature as on opt-in one, which comes with some nice big warnings about the possible side effects?
This way the average user would be happy without any glitches, and the advanced users would have a chance to balance between having transparency or clean 3D view.
Not to mention the chance that a possible real solution is found if the transparency feature is used by more and more people.
So please-please reconsider!
[Nov 21, 2023, 10:41:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Thank you for the quick response. It's better to know a feature is not coming and why then remain in doubt why it isn't there in the first place.
I understand the reasoning although I doubt that suddenly everyone starts to apply transparency to every color.

A possible alternative:
If the mtl material property has a d value >0 and <1 this can be used as an indicator. If the the d value is 1, 0, or not existent it can be ignored and never show in the color dialogue. That will be for most objects thus removing the possibility of over usage.
If users start creating all materials with a d value to force the transparency setting they are actively sabotaging their own work and can be called on that.
[Nov 21, 2023, 11:01:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved