Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 23
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5756 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
decard

AU
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Measuring a multipart distance?

as a trivial execise, i am trying to measure the Kitchen 'Work Triangle'

but i haven't worked out a way to do it

just using Dimension doesn't seem to work becuase it doesn't seem to want toi do a multi-part line

i tried a polyline, which creates a line ok (and i notice IT has options for line dashes); but it doesn't incl part or total line length; nor (again) does Dimensioning work

there must be a way to do this simple thing?
[Sep 1, 2022, 7:10:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Measuring a multipart distance?

You can create a dimension line which measure anything by clicking at its starting point then at its end point. Why this method wouldn't satisfy your needs?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 1, 2022, 8:12:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

In Google Maps it is possible to make a multi-point measurement. Even to the point that when the last click is on the same position as the first click, GM also gives the enclosed surface.

SH3D doesn't have either of these functions.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 1, 2022, 8:42:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by multi-part line. Hans is right, there's no way to draw a dimension line made of more than 2 points or measure the length of a polyline.
By the way, I wonder how such a length could be displayed? Any example?
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 1, 2022, 9:20:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

SH3D has a "smart system of hints" that show where the cursor or an object is relative to another point. Think of info you get when inserting doors/windows, drawing a room, drawing a wall or dimension.

On the one side nice and helpful, on the other side useless if you do not draw your points/lines to exact X,Y coordinates. A wall that is approximately 2 meters long, is not a wall that is useful for a builder, architect or planning commision.

The same goes for dimensions. If you draw dimensions along the above walls, they're nice as a kind of general information, but useless as a tool for building or specification.

Recently a user wrote about developing a new plugin or even fork of the program, where connections would be elastic-magnetic. When that would become a reality, you could connect dimensions elastically and change them with wall lengths. (is this still clear??) I know this is a feature that in some form or other has been asked by many people, and I can see it would be loved by many, including me

Multi-point dimensions could be interesting, especially after elastic-magnetic connections are implemented and in combination with an excellent "smart system of hints".

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 1, 2022, 10:01:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
decard

AU

thank you

this obviously works fine for a single point-to-point line/measurement; but does not (as mentioned) seem to let me make a multi-point line/measurement, in this case a triangle.

or alternatively, and possibly more likely, the circumference of a room, although area would suffice in most cases, except when you needed to now the total length of the circumference of an area espec if odd shaped.

obviously in my case of a triangle, i could add three separate Dimensions and move and add manually, but i was hoping to do it more easily
[Sep 1, 2022, 12:49:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
decard

AU

Noted. Thank you.

The only answer in this simple case might be to make three seperate 'Dimensions', and add manually.
[Sep 1, 2022, 12:54:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

If you have to sum up a very large number of segments you could use the Wirings plugin. Ir isn't intended for this specific purpose but could work.
[Sep 1, 2022, 2:28:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

For the circumference of a room you can use the Rooms Information plugin. After install you can find it under Tools in the menu.
Give the rooms a name so you can recognize them in the information list.
[Sep 1, 2022, 3:37:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
decard

AU

noted. interesting work-around. good idea.

i will try just to see. sounds like it could work perfectly.
[Sep 2, 2022, 4:18:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved