Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1960 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
decard

AU
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Understanding Furniture Location fields

being able to upload a screen shot would be a huge help for speed and understanding.

trying to explain in text takes ages and is apt to confuse.
=====

we have the Location fields and the Size fields.

ok. the Size (Dimension) fields are straight forward, and Elevation field in Location is also simple and works fine, so what is left is what i do not understand where the figures come from.

eg i have a Furniture object on the wall LHS=100mm (Wall): but X does NOT display X=100mm, nor does it display x=803mm (width+100 ie the front of object)

instead it displays 458mm - which is the problem. what IS this figure???

ditto the Y figure displayed - 3.952m - which again does not seem to relate to anything.

the issue would be obvious on the screen shot which displays both the Location values and the actual object and X/Y axes values.

and despite looking at 20 pages of hits (out of over 1,000, 10 at a time!), i see nothing. and there is exactly zip in the Manual under Furniture about the Location fields.

so what is the answer?
where and what are these obscure Location values coming from? because, one thing for sure, they are not any of the obvious Location values.
[Sep 9, 2022, 6:17:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Understanding Furniture Location fields

The furniture location is displayed as the center of the furniture object. So if you set the X and Y of an object to 0,0 it displays with the center at the 0.0 position.
In other words: an object with width 100 and depth 100 with location X,Y as 0,0 will have it's top left corner at -50,-50 and it's bottom right corner at 50,50.

The object location is not related to it's position on a wall, it's independently related to the plan/grid.

Wall dimensions are measured using the center line of the wall and start-end points of the wall as is explained in this forum dozens of times before. It's a design choice to allow other calculations and placements and works fine if you know it does use that center line.

My advise is to start with a wall with round numbers (W10, L1000, H500) and an object with round numbers (100x100x100) and learn what the coordinates are when you place the object against the wall. Exact placement can be done by setting the X.Y, not moving by cursor or mouse. So place the wall at startpoint 0,0 and endpoint 500,0. Then see what the object coordinates are when you place it against the wall. Observing will teach you how cordinates relate to the object position. The round numbers derived from 100 will be easy to recognize.
[Sep 9, 2022, 7:23:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The help page about furniture modification states "In the furniture pane, you may change its name, the abscissa (X) and the ordinate (Y) of its center".
Center is used because it won't change according to the rotation angle.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 9, 2022, 8:47:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
decard

AU

The furniture location is displayed as the center of the furniture object. So if you set the X and Y of an object to 0,0 it displays with the center at the 0.0 position.
In other words: an object with width 100 and depth 100 with location X,Y as 0,0 will have it's top left corner at -50,-50 and it's bottom right corner at 50,50.

The object location is not related to it's position on a wall, it's independently related to the plan/grid.

Wall dimensions are measured using the center line of the wall and start-end points of the wall as is explained in this forum dozens of times before. It's a design choice to allow other calculations and placements and works fine if you know it does use that center line.

My advise is to start with a wall with round numbers (W10, L1000, H500) and an object with round numbers (100x100x100) and learn what the coordinates are when you place the object against the wall. Exact placement can be done by setting the X.Y, not moving by cursor or mouse. So place the wall at startpoint 0,0 and endpoint 500,0. Then see what the object coordinates are when you place it against the wall. Observing will teach you how cordinates relate to the object position. The round numbers derived from 100 will be easy to recognize.

noted. thank you.
[Sep 9, 2022, 2:46:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
decard

AU

The help page about furniture modification states "In the furniture pane, you may change its name, the abscissa (X) and the ordinate (Y) of its center".
Center is used because it won't change according to the rotation angle.

...excpet this appears NOT to be correct.
in my example (that i cannot upload! how much time and effort would it save?),

the Furniture item LHS is at 0 on X axis, and its Depth is 703mm.
the "centre" would therefore be 351.5mm; but the Location field actually says "458mm"

so how's that work?
[Sep 10, 2022, 3:36:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I don’t know what you mean by "LHS", and unless you rotated the piece, comparing X and depth isn’t correct. With a rotation of 0°, the width of a piece is measured along X axis, and its depth along Y axis.
in my example that i cannot upload […]
Click on the Image button found in post preview page and give the URL you want to show. The only difficulty is to find a server where to host this image. This forum doesn’t allow better.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Sep 11, 2022, 1:15:56 AM]
[Sep 10, 2022, 8:44:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved