Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2517 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
bbxrider

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
camera back more and box on ceiling

hope its ok for 2 questions in same thread

1. want to get the box on the floor of the shower on the ceiling, and... put a recessed box in that box that would now be on the ceiling, whew

2. can I get the camera view back more, so I can get the full wall view? I already temporarily moved a wall so I could get the camera shot farther away. but that is not getting the full wall view I was hoping for.

[Nov 12, 2022, 7:35:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bbxrider

United States
Re: camera back more and box on ceiling

see this for the bathroom pics

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNxr3w8F...pV1pwczBsX24tNWVDWWhYMUxB
[Nov 12, 2022, 7:38:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

For point 2, you can enlarge the field of view up to 120° in modify observer dialog.

I'm not sure of what you're asking at point one, but you can use several boxes to assemble the intended shape. Use the furniture dialog to give each box the intended size and elevation.
[Nov 12, 2022, 8:17:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bbxrider

United States

thanks for the reply

turns out to get the full ceiling to wall view I just needed to drag the cursor basically up and down in the rendered pic, duh

still struggling to get the recessed box in the shower ceiling
the only box I have is in miscellaneous and it doesn't have a property
for elevation, is there other boxes that do?

I tried doing it with 4 short walls, see the floor in front of shower
but not seeing how I can either have the walls drop down from ceiling
or have the walls elevation starting at something like
6'

the pic link doesn't render when I put the URL within the img tags?
so I'm just posting the URL

this is where I'm stuck at
https://imgur.com/a/ilXaAMU
[Nov 13, 2022, 12:31:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bbxrider

United States

big oops here, I can get the box on ceiling, so now to try figure how to place a hollow? box inside the first box to create the recessed box within the first box
[Nov 13, 2022, 1:12:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

If I understand what you are talking about, it is not possible to make the hollow. SH3D is not a true modelling tool, so you can't modify the mesh or do boolean subtractions.

You can either:
a) Use 5 cubes to create your recess. One a little higher in the center, and four around it to form the lower parts.
b) Use four cubes to form the lower parts and use the ceiling of the room as the recess (unless you are wanting to accurately lower that central area.
c) Use a proper modelling tool to edit your mesh and reimport it. (i.e. Blender)
[Nov 13, 2022, 3:26:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

it is not possible to make the hollow.
It IS possible to make the hollow but it takes some work.

• Create a wall with the outer size of your ceiling object but turned vertical. For example if your object against the ceiling is W200 x D100 and 50 high you create a wall 200 wide, 100 high and a thickness of 50.
  • Resize a box to the size of the hollow (turned vertical) and export it.
  • Import the exported box and check the 'Door or window' when importing. This makes the box act like a window thus making a hole in the wall. (You can do the same with a cylinder to create a round hole!)
  • Elevate the 'window box' so the hollow is where you want it. You should see a representation of your ceiling object but standing vertical.
  • Export ONLY the wall (i.e. do not include the window box).
  • Import the exported wall, turn it 90°, and elevate it so it touches the ceiling.
  • Apply a color or texture and you have exactly the result you wanted.
SH3D is not a true modelling tool, so you can't modify the mesh or do boolean subtractions.
True, but you can get very far with what Sweethome3D does offer like making a hole as described. Even complex formed holes are possible by creating such a 'window'. You can also isolate a part of an object by making the other parts invisible and exporting/importing only the remaining part. That part can be used as part for other furniture you want to create.
I rarely have to use Blender and when I do it's mostly to bisect an object or to remove pieces (vertices) of a object.
One useful piece of advise if you are going to use Blender in combination with Sweethome3D: when you export an object from Sweethome3D to import in Blender make sure you first move it to the 0,0 position and elevation 0. This causes the object to be centered when you import it in Blender and you don't have to go hunt around where the object is.
[Nov 13, 2022, 8:10:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Okaaay, I concede. You can create a hollow, but it is not exactly "modeling", it's kind of laborious, and it's not very intuitive.

I "modelled" a loft roof with skylights by creating really tall walls, putting windows in them, exporting it all, and re-importing rotated into the correct orientation. It works, but it is not flexible. If I want to move a skylight I have to edit the original, re-export, re-import, and so on.

To paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm: We were so preoccupied with whether or not we could, we didn’t stop to think if we should. wink
[Nov 13, 2022, 9:13:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bbxrider

United States

thanks for all the help everyone

the using boxes works to get the view.
however, I want to place shower heads, lights, etc in the recessed box and don't see any way to that with the boxes, they conceal items set on the walls or ceiling where the boxes are placed

if there is some wall to create the box with walls, that would work for placing things. or if there is some other item/furniture that items can be mounted on or in?
[Nov 16, 2022, 10:05:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

You can't create the same with walls since you can't elevate walls. But I don't see how the boxes hide showerheads or lights when you place them at the correct position and elevation.

In short, you don't 'mount' furniture to a wall, you position it so it displays as if mounted to a wall. Magnetism might suggest that you 'attach' it to a wall but magnetism is actually an auto-positioning mechanism. By moving/elevating your showerhead you should be able to position it so it looks attached to the box the same as if it were attached to a wall. Anything you hide with the boxes should be repositioned so they show where you want them.
[Nov 17, 2022, 7:00:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved